Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be...

45 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

Had the Dogfight doubles, Israeli Mirage v Egyptian Mig 15.

That one had an action packed boxtop for sure. Roy Cross earned his money with that one.

I'll dig it out and add it here when I have a minute.

A Mig 21 and Skyhawk would have been more like it but the Airfix Skyhawk was a bit, er, basic, shall we say?

• Like 2

I expect this post will attract Zero interest

Boom Boom!

IMG_3601.jpg

The early Airfix bagged kit kicked the FROG version into touch on price. The FROG box looked a whole lot better though...

zero011.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Hi Tony, your post is amazing- the pulse rate quickens and the memories come flooding back. At one point in my early teens 1970/71 I had models of every 1/72 Airfix aircraft hanging from the ceiling awaiting the next new arrivals, walls were decorated with all the box tops- long since gone- thank you for the nostalgia.

• Like 1

There's a bit of a time gap between the Airfix Roy Cross illustrated G for George Lancaster box and the comic cover, but I thought they looked good together so here they are!

IMG_3829.jpg

Edited by TonyW
picture edit
  • Like 12

That comic is a new one on me Tony.

My weekly read was the Victor, true war stories on the front and back cover. Stuff like "Blenheims over Bremen" and "20,000 feet without a 'chute!"- brilliant.

Also a big fan of the shilling Air Ace comics too. 

I'm building a Fury and a Hurricane over in the Hawker Group Build thread, the Hurricane is very nearly done now, and a couple of pictures I took this morning will fit in here I think...

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 months later...

Time for a top up to the thread.

Sorting out a big box of T2 Airfix kits gave me the opportunity to set up this shot...

IMG_5247.jpg

An original shop poster, plus all the bags and boxes shown on it. The kits were all released in 1959 so that would date the poster nicely.

Heady stuff for a collector, I'm off to have a lie down for a bit...

• Like 11

Yet more from the vaults. This time it's Rareplanes. You could class yourself as a serious modeller once you had graduated to these things!

The first time I saw the advert for the YB17 in an early Airfix Magazine, it blew me away. The price was way beyond what I could run to at the time, but what a kit!

Gordon Stevens probably never slept if the output of his one man band is anything to go by. Many of his releases were outdated by injection moulded offerings later on, but in his heyday he was outstanding in his field.

IMG_5250.jpg

• Like 15

Wow!!!  All that Airfix stuff and more.   I had palpitations, my heart raced, lumps in my throat, had hundreds of memories flooding back and a yearning wish I still had a lot of what you still have and not sold them. Now almost  tearful at the sight of all those box tops and wrappers.

Love the Rareplanes stuff too. Met Ray a few times. He even popped along to my club I helped start in Horsham mid 1970s. He brought along test shots for the Beech King Air  fuselage and gave them to me. to give us a few basic lessons on Vac form building.  Don't know what happened to it now.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2018 at 14:55, TonyW said:

A few more for the thread.

The  second issue Airfix Bf109 with a posed up desk scene...

harleyford109display1.jpg

This one is a bit out of place in the aircraft end of the Forum, but it kind of belongs in a nostalgia thread. I got away with posting Flame Out Freddie a page or two back, so this one might get lucky as well.

airfix_2145.jpg

The base was knocked up with offcuts of wood used during the model room construction. Pollyfilla provided the muddy road and one or other of the Airfix combat sets supplied the sandbag wall. Looking at it now, the sandbags seem a bit out of scale. I didn't notice that boo boo at the time!

It's been said before, but Airfix really missed a trick by not issuing the HP42 in 1.72 scale. It's a good looking kit in the Skyking 1. 144 scale, but imagine the impact a bigger one would have had!

airfix2552.jpg

I Like the pose with the period radio...! (Can you still listen to the light programme??/😄) Nice touch!!  The 109 you have there is just like the one I still have.

• Like 4

Most of them are on my bookcase, from the first onward. There's a few newer ones tucked away in the loft . I've not been able to find the fifth and sixth copies for ages and I'm starting to worry what I've done with them.

• Like 1

Think you've got the thread title wrong … It's pure nostalgia ,exactly as it was . Goodness ! My childhood in a few photos. 1960s Walton toys in a bedroom It's brilliant ,I'd pay to come and see it . Airfix catalogue wallpaper in 3D . Must admit your build it as it comes mantra makes perfect sense . We still know what it is .

Love what you've done right down to Woolies peg board . Hope the shed is well insulated . the card boxes will change shape convex lids and sides etc.

Thanks very much for showing this museum off ,can't stop looking at it .

Well done isn't the word's I'm searching for but it really is very well done .:mike:Take a bow !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:44 PM, cocky05d said:

lining the whole inside with hardboard painted white

I stuck polystyrene tiles to the  walls and skinned that by nailing hardboard to the vertical frames, top runner and floor runner . painted that (fetching light Grey , all I had. Added 2 more roof trusses ,I've seen too many sagging shed roofs.

Hut 104 (after the Great Escape ) Tom, Dick or Harry verboten !

Blimey.. If there was an award for an Enthusiast , you'd walk it. Stroll on..

How deep in Airfix world have you gone ? Have you got the oo/ho little soldier sets too ?

keep the pics coming , a gift that keeps on giving !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Blimey.. If there was an award for an Enthusiast , you'd walk it. Stroll on..

How deep in Airfix world have you gone ? Have you got the oo/ho little soldier sets too ?

Soldiers?  We got Soldiers!   I've yet to get a Woofy the Performing Seal, but I do have an early Airfix Violin!!!

This end of the forum is supposed to be for Aircraft though, so I had better be careful.

Edited by TonyW
  • Haha 4

On 3/17/2018 at 9:45 PM, TonyW said:

There's a bit of a time gap between the Airfix Roy Cross illustrated G for George Lancaster box and the comic cover, but I thought they looked good together so here they are!

IMG_3829.jpg

Oh wow! Speed and Power.  I was beginning to think I was the only person who remembered it.  Used to love it.  I wish I still had some copies.  I used to have the annual as well.  Don't know what happened to that.  I remember this particular edition.  That's Wilf Hardy artwork I believe.  He was a regular artist for the publication as well as doing the covers for the RAF Yearbook and Air International if memory serves me right. 

• Like 2

I found a full set, including the Annual, at a Boot Sale in Farnborough years ago. The guy selling them got them weekly for the whole eighty or so issues. He had a picture of himself as a nipper in one of the issues, receiving a prize of some sort. I could never quite understand why he sold such a link to his childhood.

There's a few Airfix related covers. The Roy Cross B29 and B17 get a look in for instance. I'll have to dig them out and add a kit or built model for a picture or two.

• Like 3

I got the first few Speed and Power when it came out.  I seem to remember they came with free card models, a Tyrell F1 and XB-70 come to mind?  They were a bit beyond my skills at the time, especially with glues available (to me, anyway) at the time!

Love the shop type displays...

Cheers 

Will

Wow, where did this topic come from ................ must have sneaked in under my Type 84...............fantastic memories and posts

I will be back.

regards,  adey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over in the Golden Years of Airfix Group Build I've got a few early builds underway. The GB is buzzing away with over 100 builds coming together. Take a peek, you might want to join in!

Here's my GB built models so far...

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

The Lancaster is the 1980 new mould kit with a few added details. The rest are as Airfix intended.

My (very) long term aim is to have a built and unbuilt mint kit of everything Airfix released up to the T6 oval logo boxes. I've got a hell of a long way to go yet!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2