Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be...

Wow Tony, I sometimes have dreams about finding a model shop where every shelf has loads of kits that I just have to have and it's just like this!

I love that you even have all your paints in a model shop paint rack!

Where do you do your modelling?

Cheers,

Ian

5 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Wow Tony, I sometimes have dreams about finding a model shop where every shelf has loads of kits that I just have to have and it's just like this!

I love that you even have all your paints in a model shop paint rack!

Where do you do your modelling?

Cheers,

Ian

I built a modelling bench along the short wall, next to the door in. Desperate attempts at keeping it clean and tidy failed badly...

The far end of the room was finished in yellow, the bench end in a pale blue. I wanted the flexibility of showing kits and builds in different ways. The blue wasn't a success though. It seemed a bit cold. The yellow was just right, it complimented just about anything I put against it.

Dedsk_1.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8

That is truly brilliant, well done. I am about to move my collection into a modified shed as well. I often tend to model the model also, but I feel that I often tend to spoil them by doing to many alterations so that when they are finished they look to little like the original kit.

For example when I built the original 1950's Airfix Mustang "Fools Paradise" I corrected the paint scheme and altered the surface dertail. The original instructions advised a yellow nose and no invasion stripes.

23999131368_cf2fd44360_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

That one takes me back a bit!

I remember seeing an improved one in the readers letters pages of Airfix Magazine around 1967 or so. As a kid I was blown away by how much better the picture looked compared with my efforts.

While we are here, I'll see your Fools Paradise and raise you a FROG P47...

p47.jpg

tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Wow, it's like being a kid again!

I can smell roast dinner on it's way, the Navy Lark is on the radio and I've nearly finished my Airfix B25. It's a shame there's school in the morning.

I'll get me coat.

Tony.

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

I am already looking for an old boxing Airfix Thunderbolt. I like that P-47, I will probably have to buy one next time I'm at a show after seeing that. Only just getting into Frog kits after seeing the Frog nostalgia topic started on here the other month. Built the Frog Hornet recently and enjoyed that quite a lot.

Hello Tony.

I really do not know what to say when I see your exhibition room.

I only can say that it is fantastic to be able to see a lot of models that I built when I was a child.

I have built some with  help of my Dad when I was 11 or 12 but later I built them without help.

I can say that I have built a lot of Airfix kits exposed in your room.

This really was a good time which never will come back.

Thank you very much for your fantastic post; I think I feel 50 or 55 years younger.

• Like 2

That's absolutely brilliant Tony. What a trip down memory lane. 

I love the idea of a "Model Shop" display inside your hobby room. 

Good luck with the new room when it comes to fruition. 

Brilliant.  Your Type 3 display looks like the area of my local newsagent where I used to spend my pocket money in the 70s.   Mind you I was restricted to the bags or blisters, or maybe a box in Series 2 if I saved a couple of weeks.  The big Bentley and the ginormous Spitfire were out of reach financially and physically on the upper shelves.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

The displays would get rotated about a bit, depending on what floated my boat that week. I have a soft spot for old FROG models and they got a look in from time to time...

Frog_3.jpg

Use a bit of black and white and the model shop starts to appear...

FROG_Lanc_1.jpg

Early FROG models were a bit on the colourful side, if not the most accurate.

FROG_x3.jpg

Once the shed is built I will be able to have a semi permanent home for all this lot. About time too!

I'm also a Monogram fan. Getting a 1.48 scale Hurricane for my birthday one year had a lasting effect on me. The quality just oozed out of it. I lean more towards the Monogram car models, but the planes make an appearance as well. No pictures to hand, I'll add them as I find 'em.

Posting these pictures here has got me all nostalgic for my nostalgic hobby room. Things are spiralling out of control on the nostalgia front!!

Thanks for all your positive comments.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
Spelling, as usual.
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that takes me back...

Airfix was the 'only' brand for me as a kid, and I remember going through one of their early catalogues and ticking off virtually every one of their aircraft kits as 'done' - not to much of a standard, but I loved them all the same. Those Roy Cross paintings have never been bettered and I wish I'd saved them...

Thanks for the photos Tony, a real treat.

Your Display reminds me of my former “GoTo” hobby shop. The Front windows looked exactly like this except white pegboard and more japanese kits mixed in. They sadly died off about 7-8 years ago while i was in my Hiatus from modelbuilding. So it makes me both happy and sad to see. 

Looks like Eddy's, Helston, any time from late 1960s to early 2000s, though they took the option of doubling the height and quadrupling the width.  Only place I ever saw the really obscure stuff like Farm Animals and Cowboys.  And, latterly, often good for something that had been out of production for years.   Oh, the thrill of those occasional visits to the Aladdin's cave!