RyeField 1/35 Abrams M1A2 TUSK II

Gremlin56

On 11/26/2017 at 10:38 PM, BlackMax12 said:

BTW aren't those oil drain tubs made out of black polyurethane or some such?  Yours look good but I always thought they were black.  Don't change them,

I'm just curious, no such thing as a dumb question.

Hi Lloyd, I found a couple of photos of an Abrams with yellow tubs underneath it, couldn't be sure if it was the same Abrams in all photos  but I decided the yellow would add a bit of life to the basket.

I did tone it down a bit with "engine grime" wash.

On 11/27/2017 at 2:26 PM, PlaStix said:

That is an impressive range of stowage! It will really add to the overall appearance. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much Stix, looks like a "Heavy Metal Boot-sale" B)

15 hours ago, crushkill said:

Looks great!!

Hi there CK, thank you very much!

• Like 1

Julian

I didn't say they didn't look fine as yellow, I actually like them and as you say different colors add some interest to the storage rack.

I was just wondering if you knew if they were normally black or not?

On both of my Abrams I painted them black on the assumption they were like the plastic tub I use to drain the oil from my vehicles when I  do

an oil change in the back yard, they do look similar.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Julian

I didn't say they didn't look fine as yellow, I actually like them and as you say different colors add some interest to the storage rack.

I was just wondering if you knew if they were normally black or not?

On both of my Abrams I painted them black on the assumption they were like the plastic tub I use to drain the oil from my vehicles when I  do

an oil change in the back yard, they do look similar.

Take care,

Lloyd

No problem Lloyd, I was rather surprised they weren't black or green plastic.

You too,

;)

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Imaginative stowage there buddy ,   looks the part

Kev

Thanks Kev, have listened to Trenchtown Billy I would suggest trying to find Rasta Chant by the good Judge B) Might end up stowing some ganja in the basket :yikes:

58 minutes ago, lascar said:

Beautifull work ,not my scale but I love it !!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much and welcome aboard ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Fantastic result Julien. The camo on the stowage is that hand painted por some kind of decal?

It's the camo decal supplied by Trumpeter with their modern US army figures. I experimented with this on the Bradley build (there are some photos of the stuff on that blog).

It's temperamental stuff though that tears easily and needs loads of Mr. Mark Softer to make it snuggle down.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, Gremlin56 said:

No problem Lloyd, I was rather surprised they weren't black or green plastic.

You too,

;)

They come to us black.  We just paint them so we can identify ours (after someone has stolen it). Yellow is the armor color so they do everything yellow. Us Cavalrymen paint everything red and white.

• Like 2

2/12 update.

Turret basket is now full. Adding the last Mg's to the turret. Looks like I'm more or less on finals with this build, a last round of dust, streaks and other odds and ends. Located an Airfix 1/48th Walrus in Germany and of course ordered it yesterday so it should arrive next week. Not sure what the next build will be after finishing up the Bradley and the Abrams. I like the "Amtrack" but I also have a couple of Wingnut Wings aircraft that are rather tempting (Bristol F2b or the LVG C VI). The Walrus is a long time favorite so that is also a pleasure that is difficult to deny myself..........

DSCN5531.jpg

DSCN5532.jpg

DSCN5533.jpg

DSCN5534.jpg

DSCN5535.jpg

DSCN5536.jpg

B)

• Like 7

On 11/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, crushkill said:

They come to us black.  We just paint them so we can identify ours (after someone has stolen it). Yellow is the armor color so they do everything yellow. Us Cavalrymen paint everything red and white.

Thank you CK, that clarifies the color mystery :D

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 10:48 PM, Blaubar said:

That Gunbarrel, truly epic!:worthy: Best thing I have seen in a while.

Great idea!

Thanks Stefan, If you have it flaunt it I think is the saying so I thought I would show off the barrel ;)

On 12/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, Spookytooth said:

Hi Gremlin, I have finally caught up with this build (have got full interwebby running now).

Lovely build, the storage looks typical load, just needs a couple of "Big Mac`s boxes" to squeeze in. LOL

Simon.

Hi Simon, glad to hear the internet problems are solved. Not sure if the MacDonald's in Iraq sell "Hallal" Big Mac's or the regulars :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PlaStix said:

It looks utterly brilliant with all the stowage. Very nicely done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, Jam packed and making the basket's connection to the turret very "iffy".....