Airfix 1:32 QF 17-pounder Anti Tank Gun *COMPLETED*

clive_t

Thanks for your replies chaps :thumbsup2:

Not good progress today - I made an attempt on the red/white banding decals, with decidedly mixed results. The decals are a bit on the thick side, and do not cling to the circumference of the round. It took me a fair bit of Microsol and a lot of persuasion to get the first one in place; the second did not take kindly to being persuaded, and promptly snapped into 3 pieces :(

I've tried setting 2 of the fragments, but it's going to take a while. Still one to do...

Last of the red/white bands applied today, and if anything it was worse than the previous 2 attempts! Ah well, if I can't get it to improve I'll hide it somewhere:

37986843204_9605e8d55b_b.jpg

Here's the ammo box with a bit of an 'unpainted wood' vibe in the interior:

38629545202_6c9e84c709_b.jpg

Incidentally, the handles at each end of the box are fashioned from the very thin wire that adorns wine bottles containing a certain Spanish wine! I have tons of it left too - the wire, that is, not the wine obviously. Had to drink that of course to justify removing the wire from the empty bottle :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Having dunked the rounds in Humbrol DecalFix (an act of desperation given my past experience of it) I think the decals are as good as I am ever likely to get them. Regrettably not much in the way of progress today, as I am somewhat under the weather, however I was at least able to choose the worst 2 of the 3, and fit them in the ammo box:

38757630712_ddc32ab117_b.jpg

Not much left to do on the gun apart from some light weathering - and of course the figures. I have some thinking to do on those, as I would like to model a couple of them with Denison smocks but I am reluctant to waste the moulded detail of the upper bodies by covering it up. Ah well, hopefully some divine inspiration will arrive in due course! :)

• Like 6

On 12/2/2017 at 6:38 PM, Ozzy said:

Just catching up Clive, I'm liking the scratch built ammo creates.

Cheers Ozzy, it was quite straightforward to knock something up from scrap styrene and an old reference photo

On 12/2/2017 at 8:08 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Clive. Great work on the ammo and the crate. Nice work with the wire too.

Hope you are feeling better.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix. It's taken the best part of a week to recover. On the mend now thankfully, although since last night it feels like someone is sticking a hot soldering iron in my cheek below my left eye... bet you wished you hadn't asked now!:blink:

On 12/6/2017 at 9:47 PM, Jim Wasley said:

Sorry Clive this one sneaked under the radar have always admired your skill at these builds,will now keep an eye out for more progress Cheers.

Cheers Jim, much appreciated.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:20 AM, Bullbasket said:

Progressing well Clive. The crates and shells look fine.

John.

Thanks John. Today was the first day that I could properly dedicate to the bench for what seems like forever, and I was able to apply a couple of light dustings with an air brush. Namely a little Tamiya XF52 Flat Earth, followed by some XF64 Red Brown and finally some XF10 Flat Brown.

I think, in respect of the gun at least, I am done here:

24048725747_9c007e114b_b.jpg

24048728497_3d1bf2d08b_b.jpg

24048723007_3bcfd43a6f_b.jpg

38198148494_7fd891679f_b.jpg

Next I need to fathom out some figures to place with it, and of course the diorama. Not sure whether to create new threads for those as I did for the Grant, or just carry on on this thread.

But thanks all for watching, and your comments :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

No further action on the gun, but I've just started a separate thread in the Figures section to record progress on the civilian figure that will eventually join the gun crew on the diorama when I get round to it.

Thread can be found here.

Cheers all, and Happy New Year :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Hi Clive and Happy New Year. Hope the start of this year finds you in good health. I managed to miss your post at the start of December but it was looking excellent when last seen! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2018 at 4:38 AM, Hewy said:

Super little piece clive. Nicley done ropes

Cheers Glynn, to be fair the moulded ones in the kit were quite nicely detailed once all the flash etc had been removed, so I couldn't see a reason not to use them - especially as they scrubbed up pretty good after some painting, washes and dry-brushing. I just added some securing straps made from a couple of thin strips of masking tape.

On 02/01/2018 at 4:51 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Clive and Happy New Year. Hope the start of this year finds you in good health. I managed to miss your post at the start of December but it was looking excellent when last seen! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Feeling a lot better thanks Stix, just need to get myself a suitable diorama base and I should be up and running with that.

On 03/01/2018 at 9:28 AM, FrancisGL said:

Good progress, I think it would be better if you followed here with the diorama, as there are more visits in this section, so there will be more advice maybe ... unless it is a big action scene ...:popcorn:

Cheers Clive :thumbsup2:

Thanks Francis. I think I am going to do that - there won't be any massive new innovation in creating it, in fact I am looking at the available pre-moulded dio bases to make use of - I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket :D Obviously I'll still be adding to it, but I think I just need something for the gun and the figures to 'sit on'. I'll keep the thread going for the 'wire frame' figure as that's something that I've not done on here before.

I did make a start on one of the gun crew figures today. I have a plan to alter the pose somewhat, to have him leaning nonchalantly against the gun breach, presumably watching the discussion between his colleague and the inquisitive teenager. Here are the parts I chose  from the kit:

38829179504_402fe3b355_b.jpg

Some rather delicate (and painful) saw cuts later, drilled holes and a brass pin in his left leg, he looked like this:

24670285527_8942959b0d_b.jpg

Looks from the back like he's now got something of a hip problem:

24670280817_44c7f222a8_b.jpg

Still, he's had a couple of Aspirins and a Churchillian quote, so he hopes to be up and about soon :)

Yet more surgery on his left arm and wrist, and some trimming of the excess at the top of the waist, and our man is starting to look more like the desired outcome. Positioned temporarily (but with a suitable head to improve the overall look) against the gun for checking the pose fits:

27761895989_751fb3a329_b.jpg

Still lots of filling, sanding etc to do but I am pleased with how it's looking so far.

Thanks for looking in :)

• Like 6

On 07/01/2018 at 2:07 PM, Kris B said:

Clive, I was actually would like to suggest beer or wine (looks like we still in the festive mode :drink:). Gun looks good. 

Works for me! :cheers:

Beer bottle, made from a piece of old clear sprue from one of the wingy things in my stash. Repeated scraping, sanding, fettling the bottle neck, and we are at least part way there:

24712621967_68666f2041_b.jpg

I will cut it to size when I have a better sight of how it looks compared to the figure.

More progress today. The legs have been filled with Milliput, and the upper body has been fixed to the legs:

39650156571_88884523e6_b.jpg

I also dipped the 'bottle' in some Klear to try and reduce the effect of my sanding and scraping it to shape. I then dipped in some Games Workshop sepia wash to try and encourage the bottle to take on a more beer-bottle-y colour:

39650692141_dbc5f92f68_b.jpg

It may need another dip to get the right colour, but it's an encouraging start!

I also made a start on a second 'Airfix' figure. I chose this set of legs:

39619621802_3d661cfc3b_b.jpg

Yet more drastic surgery later:

39650151691_4c496ffc14_b.jpg

I then chose one of the upper body parts, and glued that on:

39619612852_92680e3dd8_b.jpg

Once that's properly gone off, I will be able to apply some Milliput to heal the wounds! :)

Thanks for watching :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

On 1/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, Carius said:

Looking forward to see it finished :popcorn:

Thanks Carius, once the mail order diorama bits get here - hopefully this week - then the weekend should see some proper progress!

On 1/14/2018 at 12:59 PM, FrancisGL said:

Very good work with the positions of the figures ...:popcorn:

Cheers Clive :yes:

Thanks Francis. 

A very small amount of progress today. The first figure now has his left arm drilled and pinned:

24859231877_722b2917c6_b.jpg

The other figure has had some Milliput applied to fill the substantial gaps:

25856772678_3a27e98438_b.jpg

Still a bit more to do on this one, but I'll let this layer go off first before adding more on top. Then I can re-apply lost details, like pocket flaps etc.

• Like 1