Alam Halfa Ridge: 3RTR at Leaguer, 1st September 1942

That is a project that pays tribute to your father in particular and past servicemen in general, and inspires me to attempt a dio in tribute of lost family members.

Truly a great work in all aspects!

DennisTheBear

• Thanks 1

Dennis, your comments are very much appreciated. If I've inspired you to do something similar, then that is particularly gratifying.

I look forward to seeing your project develop.

Clive,

sorry I'm 'late to the party', to one tank drivers son from another, great diorama, very poignant, with a degree of mirth.

Doubt our Dad's served together, at the time mine was RAC, but they drove similar 'beasts' and to steal a line, they "ate the same dust."

:poppy::poppy:

Paul

• Thanks 1

On 25/01/2018 at 12:52 PM, Robomog said:

This is really good, natural poses, fantastic detail and a bit of humour ....... a worthy tribute !

Mog

Thanks Mr Mog, very kind :thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Clive,

sorry I'm 'late to the party', to one tank drivers son from another, great diorama, very poignant, with a degree of mirth.

Doubt our Dad's served together, at the time mine was RAC, but they drove similar 'beasts' and to steal a line, they "ate the same dust."

:poppy::poppy:

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's very good of you. Were you able to obtain your dad's 'tracer card' from Bovington? That's how the penny dropped for me (once I'd received that) as to which regiment my dad was in when he was W-I-A.

Evening Clive,

never heard of a 'tracer card', for those of us that don't know, would you care to elaborate?

I was lucky, in as much as Dad was around until 1996, so I thought I knew which regiment he'd served with.

Now know he was RAC in North Africa and the Sicily landings then 4th CLY through Southern Italy

and finally 14/20th Kings Hussars Northern Italy and Austria, finishing up at Luneberg.

He would only tell a few funny stories, but took him to Bovington when they had the Sherman outside,

he told me how they used to 'mount up', it involved running up the glacis, throwing your arm around the gun barrel,

spinning round and dropping through the drivers hatch.......WHAT?!!!

Ruddy thing look's about as big as a letter box, then again he was a 'skinny rib's'!

Paul

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Evening Clive,

never heard of a 'tracer card', for those of us that don't know, would you care to elaborate?

I was lucky, in as much as Dad was around until 1996, so I thought I knew which regiment he'd served with.

Now know he was RAC in North Africa and the Sicily landings then 4th CLY through Southern Italy

and finally 14/20th Kings Hussars Northern Italy and Austria, finishing up at Luneberg.

He would only tell a few funny stories, but took him to Bovington when they had the Sherman outside,

he told me how they used to 'mount up', it involved running up the glacis, throwing your arm around the gun barrel,

spinning round and dropping through the drivers hatch.......WHAT?!!!

Ruddy thing look's about as big as a letter box, then again he was a 'skinny rib's'!

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for that, very interesting.

I was advised by a military historian back in 2012 that the museum at Bovington hold these things called Tracer cards, which provide a brief summary of tank personnel movements e.g. between regiments.

It might be worth enquiring for your dad's card, I think they need to know service number and name. Back in 2012 it cost me about £5, but could be more these days.

The email address I contacted was [email protected] but might be different now. If you try it and it doesn't work, then it might need a phone enquiry.

Here's my dad's, by way of an illustration:

25041577507_ea80821c8a_c.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Evening Clive,

many thanks for the information, guess where I'll be e-mailing next week!

Have Dad's service No. so will have to see what else, if anything, is required.

Once again, many thanks for sharing the information.

Paul

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Evening Clive,

many thanks for the information, guess where I'll be e-mailing next week!

Have Dad's service No. so will have to see what else, if anything, is required.

Once again, many thanks for sharing the information.

Paul

You're most welcome, hope you get a result from your enquiry :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Brilliant Clive, thanks is for pointing me in its direction. Not planning on anything like as many figures on mine but...who knows!

The dio really tells a story and excellent modelling to boot!

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread of mine. Not to garner additional 'likes' or comments as such, but rather to share some information I found today.

For a bit of background, the 3RTR Regimental Diary I quoted from towards the end of the WIP thread for this model, mentioned that at the close of 1st September 1942, there were 5 Other Ranks and 1 officer listed as wounded. I knew that my father was one of the ORs; however, I was always curious to know who the other 4 might have been. Until today! A chance find on Findmypast.co.uk revealed the casualty records for that area on the day my father was wounded - 4 of whom also belonged to 3RTR. They were:

7906678 BAKER, G

3857910 DAWSON, J

7907310 DUNN, W N

7890067 WILMOTT, J

It's a long shot I know, but if anyone knows anything about any of these people, I'd be very keen to hear from you.

I found the documents here:   https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-army-casualty-lists-1939-1945 in case anyone would wish to do a search of their own.

This is amazing. Really enjoyed reading the prolog, really sets the story and tone and actually quite emotional. The model itself is also fantastic, the figures, especially their faces, the ground work of the Dio and the tank, all top notch. Fair play Clive!!!

• Thanks 1