Aircraft profiles

JMSmith

hi guys, just to let you know here is a full list of profile i have completed up to now, total is 681.

Hunter 151
Boston 33
Battle 88
Halifax 21
Bolo 34
Provost 13
Singapore 8
Su-2 7
B-66 7
Spearfish 7
Hudson 5
Chipmunk 5
Balliol 3
PV4 2
XF6B 1
Seahawk 1
EE P.1 1
A-4B Seahawk 294
all can be seen here now,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22448264@N05/albums

there is no restriction on downloading, but if you post elsewhere please put my name to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, cngaero said:

They are great and will be very useful.

Thank you for your generosity in allowing us to access them.

I second that - these are really great. I've never seen so many Fairey Battle profiles all in place. You should start a book? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are very nicely done.  It would be handy if you would include some comments about where you get the "gen" for each profile - some profilers (I'm sure not you) stretch their artistic licence to it's limits!

I particularly like the Boeing XF6B-1 profile, a white plane on a white background sounds hard but it looks great.  I like also that you seem interested in the "also-rans" like the Bolo / Digby!

You may want to consider whether you want to provide public access to all your family photos?

Cheers Will 

• Thanks 1

the photo on there are for public viewing, i have thousands more that will never be posted, the wife and i vetted them all, all the profiles are from photo proof, , no photo, no profile, the Spearfish is only one small part of the drawings i did in collaboration with Ian Huntley who worked on the original factory drawings, so the other views completed will remain private, one i have not posted is the Vultee Vengeance, i spent 6 years getting all the info to get the correct side view, then passed it on to Richard J Caruana  who finished it and published his work, so when you see it, you now know it is my side view. hahahahaha, a lot of the Battle profiles were done from private photo provided and they have never been shown in public in hires, the photos that is.

all profile except the Singapore are 1/3 size, the Singapore is full size, this was done to prevent the gentleman who commissioned the work from making any money. the A-4B skyhawk is a major task that will probably take me to the end, i will do every one that a photo is available of, and this will include ALL versions.

• Like 1

most of the Halifax were done as commission work, all printed on A3 , same with the Fairey Battle, i do the profile for myself but if anyone asks for a larger version, they are very big, i do charge. all these on the Flickr account will print nicely on A4 and they are free, i do commission work when asked, but at the moment the A-4B is an obssestion . 332 and counting. hahahahahahahhahahhahah

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
On 21/10/2017 at 04:47, JMSmith said:

hi guys, just to let you know here is a full list of profile i have completed up to now, total is 681.

Hunter 151
Boston 33
Battle 88
Halifax 21
Bolo 34
Provost 13
Singapore 8
Su-2 7
B-66 7
Spearfish 7
Hudson 5
Chipmunk 5
Balliol 3
PV4 2
XF6B 1
Seahawk 1
EE P.1 1
A-4B Seahawk 294
all can be seen here now,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22448264@N05/albums

there is no restriction on downloading, but if you post elsewhere please put my name to them.

The link only takes me to a generic Flickr page! Has it been changed since originally posted here?

6 hours ago, Michael Leek said:

The link only takes me to a generic Flickr page! Has it been changed since originally posted here?

I believe that John has dropped off his Flickr account. I'll see if I can contact him for information.

Chris

• Like 1

I contacted John and he did drop his Flickr account. All his profiles can be viewed on his Facebook account now. Just look up John M Smith.

Chris

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

There are a lot of John M Smiths on Facebook, none of whom seem to have aircraft profiles on their timelines, Can you post a specific link to his profile, please? 

Check:  john m smith photos

Chris

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I contacted John and he did drop his Flickr account. All his profiles can be viewed on his Facebook account now. Just look up John M Smith.

Chris

Thanks Chris, but I stopped using Facebook a couple of years ago.

Surprised that someone should prefer FB to Flickr for images. FB deliberately compresses images and reduces their dpi resolution, which degrades their quality, whilst Flickr keeps images as originally posted. In other words, Flickr’s 100% more reliable for displaying images and illustrations, etc! If anyone wants their images or illustrations to be seen in the best possible way, Flickr is the preferred online platform.

• Like 1

John stopped using Flickr because you can only keep 1000 images there before you have to start paying. As a retiree, perhaps it was just a bit more than he could afford. 

Facebook has free storage.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

That's quite a task you have done.

As for Flickr it certainly has got some issues during the years, but to me it's still the best solution.  I guess posting images on a public site is risky business regardless of what site it is,

Just remember to keep a copy. A small portable disk with a decent backup program costs 'nothing' and saves your work from net thieves. I only post downscaled copies online, low quality and size.

The trick is to find a size that doesn't un-favorize your work. An watermarks are often wise to use. I mean it's your work and you own the rightsc to it, not any greedy ba*tard out there..

If they want to steal it, at least give them any more that you can loose..🙂

Netfriends asking kindly is a different business, I've given away lots of images to nice friends, just because they've asked and I trust them to not distribute any further..

• 4 weeks later...

by the  way there is now 630 meteor profiles plus lots of brigands buckmaster and buckingham, both these types are now in books from Mushroom, also lots more of different types and my latest mega task of doing EVERY blackburn buccaneer with every colour scheme each aircraft wore dduring its service life, this will be 800+, if i live long eneough

5 hours ago, JMSmith said:

the link, 

john smith

Thanks for the link! Having taught technical and information illustration for many years, I understand what’s involved in producing profile illustrations, etc. Indeed, I was trained as a technical illustrator myself! I even worked in the aircraft industry (Fokker, Airbus and BAC, etc), and later, when teaching, for aviation museums (Science Museum, FAA, IWM Duxford and RAF Museum, etc). Unfortunately, the illustrations in the above link lack depth, contrast and form. In other words, they’re too flat! They also lack detail. I was brought up on the aviation profile illustrations of illustrators such as Peter Endsleigh Castle, Tony Bryan, John Weal, Peter Sarson, G. W. Heumann, et al. These illustrators produced their illustrations without computers of course, but their works in terms of detail, etc, are exemplary. There are modern illustrators using Photoshop and/or Illustrator who are producing high quality, detailed and realistic profile illustrations that are comparable, but unfortunately the majority simply lack conviction. They certainly wouldn’t pass muster if produced by one of my students!

• Sad 1