Jump to content

Kinetic 1/48 T-Harrier...any good?


Recommended Posts

APOLOGIES.

 

I had hoped to have my "information sheets" as Nick (NG899) described them ready for SM, but work on the building of the kit has meant I have not had enough time to finish them. Sorry. I will get them done as soon as I can. Meantime you can read Rick G's review in the magazine and his photo shows what a great addition this model will be to your Harrier collection. 

 

Very nice build Rick - I'd like to compare notes!

 

Show visitors will be able to see my build on the Harrier SIG table and I'll be happy to talk about my experience with it if you ask nicely. 😁  I built it as the Spanish Navy TAV-8S 01-808 wearing a shark mouth scheme and 25.000 horas markings of early 1995 (these decals are not in kit). I've still a few bits to finish (ejection seats, canopy, weathering).

 

We also plan to have the kit contents available for browsing. Refer to Nick's previous post on this and other items. You can also speak to Kinetic!

 

See you there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChocksAway said:

APOLOGIES.

 

I had hoped to have my "information sheets" as Nick (NG899) described them ready for SM, but work on the building of the kit has meant I have not had enough time to finish them. Sorry. I will get them done as soon as I can. Meantime you can read Rick G's review in the magazine and his photo shows what a great addition this model will be to your Harrier collection. 

 

Very nice build Rick - I'd like to compare notes!

 

Show visitors will be able to see my build on the Harrier SIG table and I'll be happy to talk about my experience with it if you ask nicely. 😁  I built it as the Spanish Navy TAV-8S 01-808 wearing a shark mouth scheme and 25.000 horas markings of early 1995 (these decals are not in kit). I've still a few bits to finish (ejection seats, canopy, weathering).

 

We also plan to have the kit contents available for browsing. Refer to Nick's previous post on this and other items. You can also speak to Kinetic!

 

See you there.

Thanks for the comments good to meet with you there if all to briefly catch you over the weekend

Rick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone  any idea when this kit will rock up in the UK?  I have a couple on back order and want it as my Christmas build.

 

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stringbag said:

Hannants had loads of them on their stand Selwyn.

 

Chris.

which is strange, as I have it on back order at hannants,  and hannants website still lists it as a future release!

 

Selwyn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't pick one up at the Nationals, Hannants were the only ones selling them at around £45, but it's on their store at around £38, but as mentioned it's listed as 'future releases' and not in stock. There were quite a lot left over on the Saturday, would have thought they still had some unless they are just taking that stock around shows at the moment.

 

In no rush at the moment so going to keep an eye on their site over the next week and see if it changes

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Soloturk said:

Didn't pick one up at the Nationals, Hannants were the only ones selling them at around £45, but it's on their store at around £38, but as mentioned it's listed as 'future releases' and not in stock. There were quite a lot left over on the Saturday, would have thought they still had some unless they are just taking that stock around shows at the moment.

 

In no rush at the moment so going to keep an eye on their site over the next week and see if it changes

Contacted Hannants about this yesterday by e mail as I have one on back order.  The reply is below;

 

Dear Steve,

 

Thank you for your email. The container gets in on the 30th November so hopefully we will have it the first week of December.

 

Regards,

 

Kayleigh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

While you all wait in anticipation of  their pending arrival here in the U.K.

Here is a little taste of what you get, for the eagle eyed amongst you at SMW this was on display on the IPMS Lancashire stand.

It got the royal seal of approval too from Raymond and Sylvia aka Mr and Mrs Kinetic at Scale Model World.

Rick G.

 

pczvsS.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm working on the kit and have come up against a question which might be a result of me not seeing something right in front of me.

 

Although the fan blade circle is included on one of the sprues - labelled C, it's not on the sprue schematic and it doesn't look like it's been included in the fiting instructions.

 

Or is it me? (I assume it would be painted white with metal blades?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fan blade C3 should have been included in Section 7. I added it to the back of K8 - which I did not split - before fitting. White is the default - but there was some variation due to the scheme in the single seaters so worth checking reference photos for your chosen scheme or wait for someone with the knowledge to pop up on here with the answer! 

 

There are a few other instruction errors:

Seats supplied are not relevant to TAV-8A/TAV-8S.

L24 should be labelled L21 in section 2

K31 is applicable to all fins in Section 12 and PE6 is only applicable to a T52 (not in kit - G-VTOL/ZA250)

Be sure to validate the use of the various aerials for your chosen scheme. Likewise use of 190 gallon tanks - at best only T4Ns and T8s, and then not the standard I believe.

E49 - refuelling probe as provided is for the single seater.

There are some stencils missing from the decal instructions but easier enough to figure out.

See NG899's post for some other observations and corrections.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Graham - nice to know it's not me having a senior moment. I have split k8 and in hind sight this has given me a small fit problem (could be down to fat fingers though.) The fuselage is now together and drying.

However this has certainly given me a taste for the Kinetic Sea Harrier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Iain, tell me which scheme you are finishing the model as and I’ll tell you the intake colours. I see too many white intakes when they should be camouflage colours or light aircraft grey.

 

Cheers

 

Nick

Edited by NG899
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick

I'm planning either XW272 with light a/c gray undersides or XW265 with overall camo; having lived under the Wittering flight path it might be the latter but I like the laser nose.

 

As an aside, and for others making the kit, I have just found out that with a little care the main undercarriage bay can be fitted without gaps once the fuselage is together and dry. This cuts out those classic misalignment problems.

 

Iain

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2017 at 9:58 AM, Shar2 said:

@Selwyn I worked on FRS-1 and T-4N's from 1985 and we  never used rocket pods, didn't even train how to load them on aircraft. We only ever used CBLS with 3kg or 28lb practice bombs, oh! plus Aden cannon and 100ig tanks.

Think you also forgot real bombs....although to be fair on t birds i dont recall that happening...must have been possible tho ....it was a selection on the BSU...wonder if i have my note pads anywhere....any good WL had one for flight servicing.....the light blue gang had a "special" note pad ☺

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Think you also forgot real bombs....although to be fair on t birds i dont recall that happening...must have been possible tho ....it was a selection on the BSU...wonder if i have my note pads anywhere....any good WL had one for flight servicing.....the light blue gang had a "special" note pad ☺

Very true. But I only mentioned the stuff I loaded on them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Iain, the intake interiors would have been the same colour as the camouflage colour on the outside lip of the intake; which means DGreen on the starboard side and DSG on the port. Check the almost head-on shot of GR3 XZ138/K at Lossie dated 12 July 86 by Derek Ferguson on airliners.net. The colours go all the way back to the blades as directed in BAe painting diagrams.

 

NOTE FOR ANYONE MAKING A DSG OVERALL T4N. The intake interiors of these aircraft were the same as those on overall DSG SHARs - Light Aircraft Grey. NOT WHITE!

 

Hope that helps.

 

Cheers

 

Nick

Edited by NG899
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shar2 said:

Very true. But I only mentioned the stuff I loaded on them.

If you are doing  4 sqn XW272  the standard Warload in germany for all in the harriers in early 1980's was BL755.  We never actually flew live  BL 755, I think there was a peacetime restriction on doing so, the BL755 we had on deployment were all  Oxford blue drill rounds and just used for load training, they were never flown. 

 

Selwyn

Link to post
Share on other sites

We never used the BL755, and the only time I loaded 1000lbers was on the single seaters, but then we also had the Sea Eagle and specials.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...