Airfix A-4B Skyhawk - 1/72 --- VA-12 Flying Ubangis

Hello folks,

And another Airfix Scooter. Pure pleasure...

Continuing with those colorful Navy birds, this one is from the "Flying Ubangis" VA-12

I used Xtradecal Sheet. They are thin and good, settle well too, but the instruction sheet... beware, because they're full of errors ;-)
Got myself trapped on a few details with the 102 Dagger sheet and now again with that A-4.

Colors used:
White from K-Colors
FS16440 from AK
FS36270 from MRP (for the anti glare)

Alclad Aqua Gloss as varnish

37101185294_7668931c36_c.jpg

37779475802_db5e9e0c8f_c.jpg

37552815190_d452a606f3_c.jpg

37552813780_8df0623120_c.jpg

37779502342_e2a3851d3f_c.jpg

23958230168_220c944328_c.jpg

37140792203_c647693070_c.jpg

37779519562_7124515795_c.jpg

37779521332_0c41698205_c.jpg

Cheers

b.

• Like 52

On 10/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, Thud4444 said:

Great model. I've been hoarding my kit until I can find a scheme that I like. I'm gonna check out that decal sheet you used.

Thanks everybody for your kind comments! :-)

Thud, you should definitely start with it then!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1009720-xtradecal-x72151-douglas-a-4b-skyhawk

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/584154-xtradecal-x72-180-a-4b-skyhawks

There are so many nice schemes to chose from, I'm sure you'll find something you really like!

Cheers.

b.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful looking model and nicely photographed. Outside of a Blue Angels A-4F, i think this is the first time i've seen one, unencumbered with things like fuel tanks and pylons....and i like it.

-d-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David H said:

Beautiful looking model and nicely photographed. Outside of a Blue Angels A-4F, i think this is the first time i've seen one, unencumbered with things like fuel tanks and pylons....and i like it.

-d-

Thanks David,

That was actually also my idea and intention, to keep the Skyhawk's elegant shape clean. My previous two A-4 had both tanks attached (which is also the most common loadout for most aircraft in service)

7 hours ago, bearmatt said:

Thanks David,

That was actually also my idea and intention, to keep the Skyhawk's elegant shape clean. My previous two A-4 had both tanks attached (which is also the most common loadout for most aircraft in service)

A clean skyhawk, with a big-bottom Nuke on the centreline station (practice shape in dayglo red, of course) also looks nice...... especially since its the mission the plane was designed for.

-d-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David H said:

A clean skyhawk, with a big-bottom Nuke on the centreline station (practice shape in dayglo red, of course) also looks nice...... especially since its the mission the plane was designed for.

-d-

Yes, that could be my next project! I remember seeing that Nuke for the first time on a Skyhawk and it was so big, they had to fold the lower fin to the side! And if I'm not mistaken, that is also the reason, why the A-4 is having such a tall landing gear!

(There's a pic of it on page 89 of the Naval Fighters Series Nr. 49 book)

7 hours ago, bearmatt said:

Yes, that could be my next project! I remember seeing that Nuke for the first time on a Skyhawk and it was so big, they had to fold the lower fin to the side! And if I'm not mistaken, that is also the reason, why the A-4 is having such a tall landing gear!

(There's a pic of it on page 89 of the Naval Fighters Series Nr. 49 book)

IIRC, Drewe Manton built a 48th scale Hasegawa A4D-2 in VA-44 markings and used the weapon from the 48th scale Monogram F-84F for the centerline mount. The tail fins did fold sideways for adequate ground clearance. According to Tommy Thomason's book on the A4D, the tall undercarriage required a waiver and a signoff by the Navy, since it made the plane much more prone to tipping over, as some photos will attest.

-d-

• Thanks 1

First Airfix scooter I have seen built- what a great model! Love the markings and the finish! Didn't realize the new-tool Airfix kit was that good, or probably more likely, you are one heckuva good model builder! Well done, bearmatt!

Mike

• Thanks 1