I see stars ... Shooting Stars! T-33As Latin style! No.1

Hi all!

Well the next one rolls out of the paint shop in the form of a Lockheed AT-33A Shooting Star, depicted as she was when operated later in her life with the Fuerza Aerea Uruguaya (the Uruguayan Air Force).  Over time the FAU operated 11 of these machines from Durazno Air Base in the centre of the country, with 2 more acquired for spares. “207”, originally a T-33A-20-LO, she was 53-4919 in USAF service and was operated in Uruguay from 23/07/1969 to 05/06/1997. She went on to be one of the last that was operated by the air arm. 

The T-33s in Uruguayan service had many schemes. Originally they were flown in natural metal finish with the usual national insignia and a unit badge on the port side, for the Grupo de Aviación Nº 2 (Caza). This unit continued to operated them in US-style SEA camouflage, and then Green and Grey camouflage (like US ‘Lizard’). The last machines received were operated in the ADC grey that they had on arrival, and at least one (“209”) flew with “US AIR FORCE” titling still visible on the nose. For this build I have tried to get as close as my old hands would allow to this:

URU10

I used a little “modeller’s licence” for the camo pattern.

The kit is the excellent Platz T-33A kit. I made some errors because I was rushing but I think I got away with it. She is pretty much OOB apart from the markings and the seats. So, what did I do/use?:

1. Platz T-33A Shooting Star kit 1/72

2. True Details resin seats

3. Mimicked the guns with half round 0.8mm Plastruct rod

4. I added wing pylons from an Airfix F-80

5. The paints used were Humbrol enamels throughout – the regular 116/117/118/28 (Green/Green/Tan/Grey), plus Black, Flat Aluminium (27001), Gunmetal. Mattcote overall.

6. The decals are Aztec (T-37 wing roundels). I printed the serials, the checkerboard, the unit badge and tail flag on a mix of clear and white decal sheet. Other stencils etc were from the kit and a Microscale Latin Air Forces set for the T-33. From the image above the serial font appears more RCAF than USAF so I went that way, right or wrong.

7. Weathered with Flory Dirt and Tamiya Weathering powders

FlickrT33FAU1

FlickrT33FAU2

I hope you like her. Thanks for looking. Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Woah! What a little beauty!

Plain stunning and just like the photo.

Congrats!

JR

Thanks JR.

As I said in my notes above, I made a few mistakes - not entirely accurate camouflage lines (I realised once done and too late to correct!), I left the IFR hood frame in place when many of thee machines had it removed as they weren't used for training and I think I got the cockpit colour wrong! I only realised when I was looking online and had just buttoned up the next two T-33s!!!! :(

Martin

15 minutes ago, Ignacio said:

Very honoured to see a machine from my country!!!

You are very welcome, Ignacio!!!!! I love the Latin air arms and this one just had to be built (in my view). More are on their way.....

IMG_2854

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Snitok1983 said:

Cool result! Looks very good!

Thanks a lot

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great looking!

Rarely seen!

Very true, and the attraction for me.

2 hours ago, Snitok1983 said:

nice work on a rarely seen scheme

Again, thank you. I'm very pleased with how she turned out, although she wasn't much of a challenge.

7 hours ago, glatisant said:

That's a beauty! Superbly finished Good to see Latin American schemes.

Yes, I love the variety of the Latin operators. Thanks.

Martin

• 3 years later...

Very nice!  You captured the essence of it, a FAU AT-33A from probably around the late 70's when the original natural metal scheme was replaced by a SEA- inspired  scheme.  I say " inspired" because the aircraft were not painted in the US using FS colours, they were either done in Brazil or in-house and the colours really vary depending on the photo due to weathering.  The photo in your post is probably from the late 80's - it brought back great memories of my visit to family in Durazno in 1988, 

I was in the back of my cousin's truck on the highway from Montevideo (yes from Montevideo to Durazno on the flatbed of a pickup!) when just outside Durazno what do I see but  T-33 on finals to the airbase!  And of course I did'nt have my camera handy.....

Anyone interested  in this subject take note that FAU T-33's also served in USAF light grey overall and a Euro1-inspired scheme in the 90's

8 hours ago, Fau68 said:

Very nice!  You captured the essence of it, a FAU AT-33A from probably around the late 70's when the original natural metal scheme was replaced by a SEA- inspired  scheme.  I say " inspired" because the aircraft were not painted in the US using FS colours, they were either done in Brazil or in-house and the colours really vary depending on the photo due to weathering.  The photo in your post is probably from the late 80's - it brought back great memories of my visit to family in Durazno in 1988, 

I was in the back of my cousin's truck on the highway from Montevideo (yes from Montevideo to Durazno on the flatbed of a pickup!) when just outside Durazno what do I see but  T-33 on finals to the airbase!  And of course I did'nt have my camera handy.....

Anyone interested  in this subject take note that FAU T-33's also served in USAF light grey overall and a Euro1-inspired scheme in the 90's

Thanks for your kind, comments. I am actually embarking on a second build of this machine, guided by some Uruguayan expertise and using my more developed modelling skills and knowledge. :) You are correct about the colours and I will be incorprating those differences in my build too. 

Martin

• 2 weeks later...