Back to the hobby

adamcoffman

Hello everyone. I thought I’d post a quick introduction since I’ve been lurking off and on since 2014. I’ve finally decided to get back into the hobby after a 20+ year break. Back in my late teens/early 20s I built quite a few models, then for whatever reason I stopped.

Now that I want to start up again I’ve been looking over the various online shops and forums trying to decide what my first kit should be. I like 1/48 scale WW2 planes and jets up into the early 60s. As soon as I figure out what my first 21st century kit should be, I’ll start a WIP thread. I’m open to suggestions if anyone has a recommendation for a good “re-entry” kit. I'm leaning toward a Tamiya Mosquito or Do-335.

Edited by adamcoffman
spelling
  • Like 2

Welcome to BM Adam, and welcome back to the hobby.

When I returned to the plastic a couple of years ago I started with a 1/48 Tamiya Me 262 and it turned out to be a good choice. Beautiful kit. The Do 335 I found more complicated, I highly recommend it, but maybe leave it to when you are back in the swing of things. The Tamiya Mosquito (Mk, IV) is also a good kit, but the canopy is very fiddly. That's my excuse anyway as I made a total hash of it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever kit you eventually end up with.

Gorby

Hello and welcome from the UK👍 This hobby is like the Hotel California in that you can check out but never leave!

Funnily enough I was thinking the same way as Gorby and would recommend a 262 in 1/48.  Interesting subject, not too many ‘sticky-out’ bits and a good choice of schemes. I’d avoid mottle as a first attempt

me262-5a.jpg

and go for an example with a more solid pattern

Me-262-Left-Orbit-Turn-LR.jpg

Of of course you could go totally off script :idea:

s92_1.jpg

Looking forward to your builds.

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 2:12 PM, Max Headroom said:

Of of course you could go totally off script :idea:

s92_1.jpg

Looking forward to your builds.

Trevor

Not sure how I missed your reply or I would have replied sooner. It's interesting that you mention "going off script". As I've been looking at WW2 kits over the last couple of weeks I find I'm really interested in "off script" subjects, as well as post WW2 subjects. I'm thinking about doing some Mexican and Colombian P-47s at some point.