1/72 Buccaneer S.2D

On 23/10/2017 at 23:13, Phone Phixer said:

Yep, the ejection gun is bolted to the bulkhead using 2 bolts.

It wasn't a full bulkhead between the 2 cockpits. More like a framework that had a few areas filled in with sheet metal, other areas had instuments/nav kit filling in the voids.

xv361%2035.jpg

This is looking through from the rear to the front cockpit.

Photo taken from the BM walkround section. There are some really good reference photo's in there.

Just be careful, some of the aircraft have later mods that would not be valid for your planned S2D (like chaff/flare dispensers).

thats my knee! i can still remeber sitting in there ,thinking how cramped it was,cant imagine how it would have been in full flying kit:wonder:

dont forget to offset the seats,they where angled away from each other by two degrees from vertical (if i rememeber right?)and slightly off centerline.pilots seat to the left,navs to the right,giving the nav a clear view off what the pilot was doing to scare him.also to improve leg room for the nav ,his seat frame was splayed out from his knees ,thats why they are marked front and rear seat :yes:

Edited by buccymad

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Those pits are starting to look the business!

Martian

Thanks Martian. They do look rather 'blocky' at the moment though but hopefully will look a lot better with detail painting and a wash.

9 hours ago, buccymad said:

thats my knee! i can still remeber sitting in there ,thinking how cramped it was,cant imagine how it would have been in full flying kit:wonder:

Don't get upset but I'm not putting your knee into my Bucc pit!:fraidnot:

8 hours ago, buccymad said:

dont forget to offset the seats,they where angled away from each other by two degrees from vertical (if i rememeber right?)and slightly off centerline.pilots seat to the left,navs to the right

Already noted Buccy, but thanks.

• Like 1

With the Nationals at Telford looming, had time to scratch the wells a bit,

IMG_7829.jpg

Starboard wheel well done.

IMG_7830.jpg

Both wheel wells done. Not accurate by any means but better than nothing and good enough for these eyes.

For all those that are attending Telford; enjoy:fool:, buy lots:gift: and maybe we'll bump into each other...not that I know what you look like.:grouphug:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 9

Very interesting build!

I like very much that pit!!!

Once painted it's starting looking like the real thing.:yes:

I used the same procedure for one of my Jaguars and I'm happy with the result.

Those seats are really nice.Do you know who manufactures them? Recently I bought a Revell reboxing of the Matchbox kit and I'd like to fid a couple for it.

Have you already chosen the exemple to represent?

I'll be watching you with interest!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Woops...a daisy!!!

While I was writing my comment you added the pictures of the wheel bays!

Great stuff!!!

Well done!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

For all those that are attending Telford; enjoy:fool:, buy lots:gift: and maybe we'll bump into each other...not that I know what you look like.:grouphug:

You shouldn't have too much trouble identifying me this year, or General Melchet either!

Martian

@massimo, thanks. I couldn't tell you who made the resin seats, they came already bundled together when I got the kit from a fellow Britmodeller. I'm definitely sticking with the kit decals for an S.2D; 809 NAS, FAA, HMS Ark Royal, 1976. 

3 hours ago, Romel said:

great job

Thanks

58 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You shouldn't have too much trouble identifying me this year, or General Melchet either!

Martian

I'll keep my eyes open.

After Telford, it'll be time to look at the undercarriage to see what I can do with them. If their are breaks during my 'home' build, I'll try and get some paint in the cockpit tubs and seats as I need to start thinking about closing her up.

A slow week on the modelling front. Started last weekend with a visit to the RAF Museum at Cosford before heading to Telford for the Nationals.  A great weekend culminating in spending lots of money, fortunately this type of expenditure happens only once a year. So this week has been like Christmas, opening all your 'presents' and browsing your books. In between all the goodies I done a bit of work on the old 'bucc' and this is it.

IMG_7881.jpg

No expense spared here. Decided to add a few features to this undercarriage; holes at pivot points, holes on the outboard hubs, brakes lines added. Not seen here is the inboard hubs which had slots cut into them. Everything looks bland here but I'm hoping after a paint job and a wash they'll look better.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2017 at 19:24, Courageous said:

Decided to add a few features to this undercarriage; holes at pivot points, holes on the outboard hubs, brakes lines added. Not seen here is the inboard hubs which had slots cut into them. Everything looks bland here but I'm hoping after a paint job and a wash they'll look better.

well...small but very effective interventions on the undercarriages.

I'm sure some paint and washes will do the rest!!!

I'll keep it in mind for my Matchbox kit.

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2

• 2 months later...

Evening people. It has been a while since the last update and now other subjects have finished or are near completion, I thought I'd get my bottom in gear.

So here is a little update:

IMG_7918.jpg

Here we have office all painted. The decals were carved up and applied them in no particular order just to make it look busy, finished off with a dark wash. Looks better that the kit offering.

IMG_7919.jpg

The resins seats were all painted up. Firing handles(?) were made from copper wire and duly painted, and fitted. Dark wash applied.

IMG_7920.jpg

Seats temporarily fitted for the photo. All-in-all, it doesn't look to bad.

Right... Do we have a 'right' colour for the intakes on this Navy bird as I have seen/ heard conflicting info?

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 9

I'm having white for the intakes on my S1 but I haven't considered what I will need for my S2 yet

BUT

what I do remember Crisp pointing out to me

No lamp on RN Buccaneer's noselegs, some discussion about being bad form blinding the guy trying to guide you down to the deck

I wish Id just stuck to drilling holes instead of making axle tubes, I'm not my own best buddy most days

;)

This is looking rather fine already

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Superb detail work on your cockpit Stuart! ;-) I've still got mine abandoned in a box somewhere, but at least I have the Neomega modellers cheats add ons!

Stuart according to my photos I would go for white for the intakes.

I've got some photos in the walkaround section or here's my collection.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfPwDK3

The cockpit at the RAF Manston History Museum has intakes painted white as do a couple of other examples I have photographed.

Martin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm having white for the intakes on my S1 but I haven't considered what I will need for my S2 yet

BUT

what I do remember Crisp pointing out to me

No lamp on RN Buccaneer's noselegs, some discussion about being bad form blinding the guy trying to guide you down to the deck

I wish Id just stuck to drilling holes instead of making axle tubes, I'm not my own best buddy most days

;)

This is looking rather fine already

Thanks Perdu. One for white. No lamp on nose-leg...check. I'm not a super detailer, I'll do enough to satisfy my needs, so axle tubes were out.

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Superb detail work on your cockpit Stuart! ;-) I've still got mine abandoned in a box somewhere, but at least I have the Neomega modellers cheats add ons!

Stuart according to my photos I would go for white for the intakes.

I've got some photos in the walkaround section or here's my collection.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfPwDK3

The cockpit at the RAF Manston History Museum has intakes painted white as do a couple of other examples I have photographed.

Cheers Martin. Two for white.

You'd think their would be a 'standard' colour for such a thing. I have got a bit of time before such colour is needed; attach office, join fuselage halves and clean up those dreaded intake seems.

Last night, I done a few little jobs; slipper tanks and missiles. The thing I've got to decide on is whether I just remove the raised panel lines or remove and re-scribe. The thing is, I don't mind re-scribing the odd line or panel but not the whole bird. Do you think my mind is going for the easy option...

Stuart

I love that pit!!!

I've been looking for this build's topic, a couple of days ago,as I wanted to copy your cockpit  structure  but couldn't find it!!!:angry:

So I started building mine following a different approach.

Anyway I'm really happy to see this update and I'll follow you with great interest, as we're now proceeding on parallel builds.;)

ciao

Massimo

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Thanks Perdu. One for white. No lamp on nose-leg...check. I'm not a super detailer, I'll do enough to satisfy my needs, so axle tubes were out.

Cheers Martin. Two for white.

You'd think their would be a 'standard' colour for such a thing. I have got a bit of time before such colour is needed; attach office, join fuselage halves and clean up those dreaded intake seems.

Last night, I done a few little jobs; slipper tanks and missiles. The thing I've got to decide on is whether I just remove the raised panel lines or remove and re-scribe. The thing is, I don't mind re-scribing the odd line or panel but not the whole bird. Do you think my mind is going for the easy option...

Stuart

I would definitely re-scribe the whole thing! I'm never one for doing things by half! ;-)

Rescribed an old Frog Javelin so a Buccaneer shouldn't take too long! ;-)

Great work on the cockpit, it looks superb.   :yes:

When I built my CMR 1:72 Buccaneer S.2, I followed their instructions and painted the inside of the intakes white. Rather stark looking, what with those two big gaping intake holes on either side of the EDSG fuselage. If it's of any help, here is a link to my WIP.

Cheers,

Bill

Martin, re-scribing...we'll see. :hmmm:

Bill, thanks. Three for white and yes, I've already looked at your WiP :yes:

This afternoon, besides a bit of 1:1 filling and skimming walls, I've primed the the undercarriage, fitted 'office' to upper fuselage and tinkered around with some ordnance.

Time for a well deserved bottle of Erdinger, :beer:

Stuart

• Like 1

Beautiful. For a moment I thought the Nav's spot had an Ipad docked in, but then I remembered this was when you twisted a knob which turned a wheel which pulled a cable, and stuff happened... Great days...!

Justin

Justin, thanks. In hindsight, it was simpler then but I don't think they thought that,

Martian, thanks. I know it's in no way accurate but miles better than the kit offering.

Well, what an ordeal. Last night, it was the mating of the fuselage halves but the newly made cockpit floor impacted on the nose wheel bay roof!:doh: So, it was off with the wheel bay roof, and now the office floor is also the roof, sorted :yes:. How the hell am I going sort these intakes out!? Those Martels are a b****r to clean up.

Stuart