#892 Squadron Royal Navy Fg.1 Phantom

Ok i started this build back in July and had to shelve it temporarily due to paint shortages through mid August. But Im going to consider this done with the exception of some Do not step decals and weathering. I should add these were the worst decals I’ve dealt with in 30 + years of model building. The glue was so thick everytime i worked with the decals it felt like my hands were covered in vaseline. Mind you i work with water in the 120+ degree range. I know how to work with Japanese decals. They were so slimy and did not want to work to well. I had two complete sets of original decals to work with i was able to save just two each of the white base and red field “omega” tail decals. The glue i blame on hasegawa the bad decals due to improper storage. This is one of many kits i was given by a friend who cleared out his storage unit stash. He didn't want to transport them 1000 miles so i was allowed to take anything i wanted. Thank you my friend. 

So without further boring you with a long write-up i give you my Fg.1 Phantom Circa 1975-1976 Ark Royal Cruise. DVJN9nb.jpg

The original teaser photo ⬆️ And the rest pf the photo’s. ⬇️

QTdlFPF.jpg

CZNKVm1.jpg

sqM9u6o.jpg

JZvYrtD.jpg

VsTaNuP.jpg

uROR5MN.jpg

qDufgYC.jpg

OyJdjW5.jpg

Ok some detail shots first up is the spey engine i used real foil stained with cooked eggs. To this i stained it further by adding some blue and copper tones drybrushed onto the foil. ⬇️5fePz8g.jpg

And the cockpit’s ⬇️

mzJqWCI.jpg

The eagle eyed among you will have spotted the Two different drop tank paint schemes. Thats done on purpose. During my research one of the members directed me to the Ark Royal’s Cruise books and when digging throught the assorted photo’s i found this photo i reprint here giving full credit to the Ark Royal crews and association. ⬇️ 

31Vrrfa.jpg

If you look closely i duplicated this pattern. I found everything from all white to all Dark sea Grey to mixed variations. So I lay my self on the Forums bench and await your decision if it meets the criteria for an Fg.1 Phantom from #892 Squadron. I’d like to add Great Thank You’s to all the members that gave me helpful advice in my Cold war question thread. 

This was a duel build with my EE F.3 Lightning. If anyone is interested here is a link to view that RFI.

I say Thank You in Advance

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added
  • Like 42

Very nicely done Sir, I like it a lot.

We had all sorts of colour combinations of drop tanks in the War stock scattered around Leuchars (stored in piles of wooden pallet style crates) from the USAF Vietnam era colours through to the solid white, solid EDSG and all the RAF combinations. Nose and tail cones would also be swapped around and I knew one guy in the Tank Bay who intentionally didn't line the cones up with the main body (so that's how I like to do  my Fletchers).

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I used aim- 9D’s ? Then again of course i trusted Hasegawa so that might’ve been where i went wrong ? 

They dont even look like AIM 9 D's! there is far too much "missile" in front of the canard fins.

They should look something like this

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-aim-9d-sidewinder/406009

Perhaps the canards are far too small?

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Hmmm could of been my mistake then?  i took them from a Hase weapons set. Its possible i might’ve grabbed the wrong ones off the trees ? They looked like the D’s in the Diagram but im not perfect and i didn't measure them. Oh well im not a rivet counter so they look the part well enough that i’ll take them. 

Very nice looking beast there! I feel for you on the decal side, not quite the same but I had some old decals long gone out of production, which I like collecting because they are rare, but a pig to work with as the one I had was so thin it was ridicoulous, touch it and it breaks!

Nice build though I like it :)

James.

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2017 at 6:30 AM, Duncan B said:

Very nicely done Sir, I like it a lot.

We had all sorts of colour combinations of drop tanks in the War stock scattered around Leuchars (stored in piles of wooden pallet style crates) from the USAF Vietnam era colours through to the solid white, solid EDSG and all the RAF combinations. Nose and tail cones would also be swapped around and I knew one guy in the Tank Bay who intentionally didn't line the cones up with the main body (so that's how I like to do  my Fletchers).

Duncan B

Thank you for that gem of info.

When I do build a 111 bird I will be mis-aligning tank demarcations!

How many bolt holes are there (so I can work out how far to step the demarcation)?

• Like 1

Me like.

Those Sidewinders looks like AIM-9E to me, which would be a USAF version.  The Fleet Air Arm bought the AIM-9G which, as Selwyn says, had much shorter forebodies.

I have to ask, though ... where are the seats?

• Like 1

Sorry you didnt hear about the no seat variant ? 😆... the seats are complete short of harnesses. Why doesnt Hasegawa or anyone else mold or release harnesses to add?  i just hadn't put them in, i will eventually incorporate a photo of them by themselves and in the plane. 

As for the Winders. They very well might be e’s  i grabbed the two that looked like D’s from my weapons set and added them. I should also add i never read or saw anything that reffered to “G’s” being used. I did read “D’s” were used on FAA phantoms thus my reasoning. I should also point out that I am a Noob when it comes to British Jets. This being my first. Also Im not the type of builder that everything has to be correct. They look close enough to a D to make me happy. Besides i cant remove them if i wanted to. I have a knack for gluing ordnance on in a very specific way so it stays on. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added

• 2 weeks later...

@pigsty ... since you asked so kindly. I was able to snap some photo’s and have added them here.mLuqDKh.jpg

AxVdSw3.jpg

6tzixiT.jpg

Yes i know the photo’s are sideways. I forgot to edit but at least I’ve posted them. Sadly hasegawa never adds harnesses to there seats. And until i can get some AM ones these will have to be like this.