What if - Desert Blohm & Voss Bv-141

Having had some time off work - I decided to tackled this kit - which has been sitting in the stash for some time. 

All in all it's a nice kit to make. The cockpit is a real joy. Lots of detail, nicely designed, goes together very well. I sprayed it Tamiya gunship grey, then sponged on vallejo neutral grey, and pale grey to break up the surfaced and create some highlights on rims of seats etc. 

Once the cockpit is done, and the canopy masked off the rest of the kit is actually extremely fast to finish. The part count outside the cockpit is pretty small. I used the Eduard masks for this, as the idea of doing it myself was too terrifying. There was a fair amount of sanding needed to get the transparent parts flush with the wing roots. 

Once the plane was together I decided at the last minute to go down a 'what if' route. I am a bit bored of doing the usual green  /  grey splinter camo, and had some rattle cans knocking about that would allow for a desert version. I haven't seen any photos of a Bv-141 in the desert, so this is all a bit fanciful. 

Once the main 3 colours were on, I did quite a lot of post-shading using white and umber oil paint - put directly on the kit then blended in roughly in panel areas. Quite happy with how it went, once I practice I  think it will be better at keeping it to the right areas and accordingly it will look better. Finally I splodged the with humbrol weathering pigment 'sand yellow'. The landing light is a little bit of kitchen foil. Seat belts are wine bottle foil. 

Thanks for looking - all criticisms welcome! 

Bruce

9PB0tNK.jpg

v3A2Swc.jpg

aVIh8at.jpg

CgbhH6Z.jpg

0HLRKvm.jpg

7YkttKg.jpg

• Like 46

Wow.

That splinter camo looks so sharp I nearly injured myself just looking at it!

Desert colours look great and the 141 is a brilliant looking beast isn't it.

Well done indeed

3 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Looks brilliant Bruce and those canopy masks have worked out a treat - lovely paint-work.

Many thanks - and yes. I think the masks really make the whole thing work. Without those it would certainly have looked a damn sight worse! And have taken a few days loger of course. 

28 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Wow.

That splinter camo looks so sharp I nearly injured myself just looking at it!

Desert colours look great and the 141 is a brilliant looking beast isn't it.

Well done indeed

Thanks very much! I copied a technique I saw somewhere on here : 

Having put down a base of dark yellow all over, I cut masks from normal decorating masking-tape, put it down - then sprayed again with dark yellow. Think that seals the gaps. Then sprayed an intentionally light layer of dark RAF brown (tamiya). Came out well. But I do think that second layer of the base colour helps the clean lies when using rattle cans! 

Thanks again,

best,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Looks brilliant Bruce and those canopy masks have worked out a treat - lovely paint-work.

Yes indeed - as ever (in my experience) - they were pretty much perfect. The whole thing would have laid in the stash for a few more years without the masks to tempt me into trying it out! 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Fantastic paintwork. I looked at this kit but quickly dismissed the idea because of the canopy. You've certainly nailed it.

Thanks! I think the mask was around £8 off ebay - and it was a great fit, if the temptation comes back around! 

7 hours ago, Devilfish said:

I do love a good whif, and this IS a good whif!

Can I ask what the colours were that you used on this, as I have a Stuka on the SoD awaiting this scheme, but no idea what the RLMs are.

Thank you! Sure thing - was rattle cans as follows: 

Tamiya AS-22 dark earth (RAF)

Tamiya TS -3 dark yellow 

Tamiya AS-5 Light blue (luftwaffe)

best,