Wellington x 2,....a B.Mk.X & a GR.Mk.XIV!..FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Got a bit of a modellers block at the moment so I`m going to have a go at the old Matchbox Wellington;

Image result for matchbox wellington

Not sure which version yet,....... I`ll do some reading up. I quite fancy a black Coastal Command Mk.XIV with the chin radar,...... I remember seeing a photo of one painted like this behind some more common White Wimpey`s,.... but cannot find the pic now!

Cheers

Tony

edit,.....I`ve since decided to built two models!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

Good to see you Tony,

One thing that we can be sure of - this Welly will be built well, with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail and by most standards - bloody fast!!

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape. It's a kit I have on my ever growing Matchbox wishlist.  

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

Good to see you back at the kit-face Tony. I took delivery of the Revell re-box this morning and it looks like the kind of kit that will cure your modellers block.

I'm sure I've read something about black-painted Wimpeys, weren't they used on anti E-boats operations? Anyway, an extensive search of the inter web has failed to locate a photograph; I hope you have more luck.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 1

Wow,....thanks everybody,......no pressure then!! 

Right,......the missus went up in the loft to look for my Matchbox Wimpy,.....and she could only find the Revell repop,.... is this still OK? It is the same kit but if it doesn`t pass muster I shall understand,......I do have one up there somewhere but it is looking like I`ll never get up there again, so I have to rely on my much sufferring beloved! Here is the kit and parts;

DSCF1517

Now the kit as most will know, is very basic inside and the turrets are not very good,......so I have raided the spares box for some extras including the cockpit from a scrapped Matchbox Halifax, an Airfix Wellington nose turret and an Airfix Lancaster rear turret plus some resin Dakota wheels, although I think that I might have a spare pair of Trumpeter Wimpey wheels somewhere? Having struggled to find the photo of the black Mk.XIV (edit,....I`ve since found it, see page 2) ,...... I`ll probably build one of the Canadian Mk.X`s from the Xtradecal Mediterranean Twin`s sheets which I researched some time ago.

DSCF1518DSCF1519

Here is the kit fuselage taped together to show what the kit turrets look like,......the cockpit canopy is also too angular behind the windscreen and I`ll probably have a go at sanding the corners down a bit and re polishing them;

DSCF1520DSCF1521DSCF1522

And here are the replacement turrets,......

DSCF1523DSCF1524

So with that,......construction will now begin!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14

Well today`s progress,......

I`ve painted the interior of the fuselage black and the ex Matchbox Halifax cockpit has been fitted with a few alterations including a plastic card insert for the bulkhead behind the pilots seat. The back part of one of the kits pilots seats has been added to the Halifax seat pan and to one side I have included the kits original cockpit bench with the other seat to show the limitations of the kit interior. What I have done is not exactly accurate but it looks better than the kit parts and once the rather thick canopy is in place it will suffice;

DSCF1529

Also done have been the wings,..... and the engines will follow next,

DSCF1530

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Thanks for the kind comments folks,........ well onwards and upwards,....a bit more progress;

I`ve added the windows to the fuselage now, after first painting in the geodetic framework using silver. I used Kristal Klear for this,....but also tacked this with polystyrene cement to give the joint added strength;

DSCF1531DSCF1532

I`ve also had a practice with the canopy, using a spare that was recovered from an old Matchbox Wimpey. I sanded the front right hand section to remove the bulge and then roughly drew on the frame lines using a marker pen so that you can compare the contours with the unaltered section on the opposite side;

DSCF1536

DSCF1535

Next I shall be covering the side windows using masking tape to protect them during the painting stages,..... I`ve decided to do this before joining the fuselage halves as otherwise it is easy to push these into the fuselage and lose them, it being easier to support the windows from the inside while cutting around the tape on the outside. 

Once this is done I`ll close the fuselage halves up,

Cheers

Tony

PS,..... I covered the hole for the stand using plastic card from the inside, to make it easier to fill in later,

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Hiya Folks,

Last update for today,..... I`ve got the fuselage halves together and the windows have been masked over,....... here it is with the wings and tail;

DSCF1539

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

A bit more progress,......the nacelles are now in place on the wings, all of the joints have been sanded and some filler has been applied ready for a second sanding to hopefully remove any sign of joint lines. The wings and tailplane have been slotted temporarily into place as I`m going to paint these separately and the cockpit canopy has had its forward corners sanded down and re polished to make it look more realistic;

DSCF1541DSCF1542

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

Now colour schemes,......well,......

I did toy with a French one,...like this;

Photo-13_MF459_23319-Wellington-Morareau--1-

But I think that I have settled on a North African based Mk.X bomber,.....either;

HE687, QB-T,....`Terror of Axis Nightlife' from 424 Sqn, RCAF;

W 2-HE687-QB-T

or;

HZ514, KW-Q `Fiery Queen' of 425 Sqn. RCAF;

W 1-HZ514-KW-Q-Faired in turret

And so far it is looking like the latter! Of note is the fabric fairing around the rear of the nose turret,....which was added to keep the draught from the fuselage and maybe add a few more mph of speed,..... I`m assuming that the turret was still manned and if needed the turret moving would break the fabric seal? 

Here are a few more `general' pics of Wimpey Mk.X`s oerational at the same time;

wellington 420 SQN RCAF

desert wellington crew420 snowy owl sqn in desert

Cheers for now,.....Tony

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Difficult choice there Tony.

The desert scheme on a Wimpy is one I have liked the look of for a long time, and it may well end up on one of Airfix's new tool ones when they are released, but I really like the Aeronavale one in the post above.

Craig.

I know Craig,...... decision`s decisions,..... I will built a French one,....or even a Greek one at some stage,..... but as a lot of people on BM will be aware, I`m a bit of a sucker for the desert bomber scheme,.... so will probably be opting for `Fiery Queen'! Here is another desert Wimpy that I did, an older Mk.Ic variant using the MPM kit;

DSCF5754

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I`m a bit of a sucker for the desert bomber scheme,.... so will probably be opting for `Fiery Queen'! Here is another desert Wimpy that I did, an older Mk.Ic variant using the MPM kit;

I'm a sucker for desert schemes myself (and winter ones, talk about from one extreme to the other!) so I completely understand, and approve! Lets hope the Med GB II gets voted through for next years list and we will have an excuse for building more in desert schemes. Mind you most of the ones on my shortlist aren't in desert camo!

Nice work on the canopy, Tony, it looks better for the sanding. 

Both of the last two photographs you posted look like there's doped(?) fabric between the front turret and the fuselage. Also the second to last one looks like there's been a repair just behind the front turret. Most interesting.

33 minutes ago, Beard said:

Nice work on the canopy, Tony, it looks better for the sanding. 

Both of the last two photographs you posted look like there's doped(?) fabric between the front turret and the fuselage. Also the second to last one looks like there's been a repair just behind the front turret. Most interesting.

Cheers,....glad you like the canopy. As I explained with the photos,..... yes it is doped fabric applied around the rear of the nose turret, that is also the case with the second to last photo and it was a common thing on later Wimpey`s. 

All the best,

Tony

55 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers,....glad you like the canopy. As I explained with the photos,..... yes it is doped fabric applied around the rear of the nose turret, that is also the case with the second to last photo and it was a common thing on later Wimpey`s. 

All the best,

Tony

I should have written 'also have fabric between the turret and the fuselage' (which would've shown I'd read your post) but I didn't know it was common (which shows I didn't put two-and-two together when looking at the photographs).

• Like 1

No worries Beard,.... it took me a while to recognise the fabric issue too!

Right,.....last night I got a couple of coats of Polly Scale acrylic Middle Stone onto the model yesterday;

DSCF1544

Might manage another this morning but then I`ll be busy for a day or so,..... so no more progress until Friday at the earliest! Also had a search for the Matchbox Wellesley last night and it wasn`t where I thought it was,...... so hopefully it will turn up!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 10

Hiya Folks,........ back from a few days in York (staying in a haunted old pub!) to see our Son at university,..... just managed to put a coat of Dark Earth camouflage on, brush painted using Pactra acrylic; 

DSCF1565

DSCF1557

Just caught the last of the daylight to take these pics,..... this evening I`ve been playing with the nose turret and have cut back the area behind the turret a little to better represent the Wimpy that I am representing,..... the turret was then fitted and the gaps filled in using Kristal Klear,..... I may apply another coat to represent the doped fabric seen here,...or I may use it as a base upon which to apply some tamiya tape,.....we`ll see how it turns out! Talking of tape I`ve used some to represent the pilots harness straps and have also attached the pilots canopy!

Cheers for now,

Tony  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hiya Folks,..... well here are some more pics,..... after 3 coats of Pactra Dark Earth I`m still not happy with the coverage and it is quite thick too! The nose turret and pilots canopy have also been attached,.....not sure whether you can see but the nose section behind the turret was trimmed back slightly to better match the photo of the real `Fiery Queen' ! The fabric effect covering the gap between the rear of the turret and the nose has received another layer of Kristal Klear;

DSCF1566DSCF1568

The canopy frame lines have only been roughly painted to build up layers and will be trimmed using a wooden cocktail stick!

Cheers

Tony

PS- I`m not entirely sure whether the Wimpey that I am representing had the side windows above the wings or not,..... some Mk.X`s did and some didn`t,.... so no doubt a clear photo of it without these windows will appear as soon as I`ve finished,...... sods law!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 17