PATTON TANK STGB Chat

Thanks for the photos you linked in my  SYWWTGTWI GB chat, Dennis. I'll move the discussion back here if that's ok. You can see clearly in those pictures that the production super Pershing had an extension to the casting of the turret bustle, to increase the counterweight for the larger gun. On Lt Belton Cooper's prototype super Pershing, plates were welded to the back of a turret cast in the standard shape. It would be a simple matter to replicate that by adding a counterweight made in plastic card to a turret from a standard kit. But as I'm starting from a production super Pershing turret, I'll have to cut the extension off and reshape the original curved bustle using milliput, and then build the counterweight. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Churchill said:

Thanks for the photos you linked in my  SYWWTGTWI GB chat, Dennis. I'll move the discussion back here if that's ok. You can see clearly in those pictures that the production super Pershing had an extension to the casting of the turret bustle, to increase the counterweight for the larger gun. On Lt Belton Cooper's prototype super Pershing, plates were welded to the back of a turret cast in the standard shape. It would be a simple matter to replicate that by adding a counterweight made in plastic card to a turret from a standard kit. But as I'm starting from a production super Pershing turret, I'll have to cut the extension off and reshape the original curved bustle using milliput, and then build the counterweight. 

Many thanks for this piece of information.

I have the Accurate Armour Super Pershing resin kit in the stash

The turret does indeed have these plates on the rear.

I thought they were part of the casting process and was going to remove them, so thanks for the Info.

Cheers

Keith

LNm8u0jl.jpgEpM08G0l.jpgjOAxM88l.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KAYELL said:

Many thanks for this piece of information.

I have the Accurate Armour Super Pershing resin kit in the stash

The turret does indeed have these plates on the rear.

I thought they were part of the casting process and was going to remove them, so thanks for the Info.

Cheers

Keith

LNm8u0jl.jpgEpM08G0l.jpgjOAxM88l.jpg

Hi Keith, 

Yes, those are the plates that were added to Belton-Cooper's tank, although I don't know how much of it was put on at the factory to counterbalance the gun, and how much Belton Cooper put on to balance the armour he'd welded to the mantlet and glacis. It's shown clearly in this photo with the turret reversed:

SP counterweight

41 minutes ago, Churchill said:

Hi Keith, 

Yes, those are the plates that were added to Belton-Cooper's tank, although I don't know how much of it was put on at the factory to counterbalance the gun, and how much Belton Cooper put on to balance the armour he'd welded to the mantlet and glacis. It's shown clearly in this photo with the turret reversed:

SP counterweight

Hi

Looks just like the kit

Mind you the amount of white metal will mean that the turret will need to be counterweighted or glued in place.....when I eventually get round to building it

Cheers

Keith

On 03/03/2019 at 18:09, SoftScience said:

I'm happy to see you posted this. I'm vacillating on what to get for this GB. I really like the Patton tanks, so I want to participate. I think I'd like to do something in the orangie-brown/black/white MERDC camouflage, but I can't decided on a kit. Ideally, I'd like to build one in 1/48, but there aren't any kits in that scale. My second choice was going to be the Revell kit, but I'll have to import one from overseas, and I wasn't sure if the kit was worth it, but seeing your sprue shots, it looks pretty nice. 

Another option is to pick up the 1:35 scale AFV-Club kit at my LHS, It may be easier to paint the complex MERDC patterns in the larger scale. But then 1:35 projects are always long term, and I already have so many of those big boxes insulating my attic... 

Dang. Can't decide. 

The revell kit is very, very nice and they also do it in the M60A1 with ERA version which is just cool looking.

They can be a bit hard to find but well worth it and knock spots off the older ecsi one.

This one will be plain green as it predates the Merdc scheme, but I have two more A3s - one built and one unstarted and they will both be in Merdc, as will one of my two A1s (the other will be Gulf War sand).

I rather like Pattons!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

I'll get to killing some time before the build gets going tonight with a short look at Verlinden #95 1/35 90mm Tank Ammo. This small, all resin set includes a few shells of various types, some spent rounds, some still in their packing container, and a couple of boxes. The level of detail is good. Resin ammo has become kind of passe these days, as the ability of smaller producers to turn actual brass uniformly, repeatedly, and economically has increased greatly the last few years. I suspect most people would search out the AFVClub 90mm rounds in brass these days. Verlinden has been out of business for a few years now but this set is still easily found, and fits the bill if you're looking for ammo for a diorama of a US 90mm gun armed vehicle. 

IMG_5432_zps6z1dazww.jpg

IMG_5433_zpss8sf1qxe.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, badger said:

They can be a bit hard to find but well worth it and knock spots off the older ecsi one.

That's putting it mildly. There are none at the online shops I frequent, and I'll be farting diamonds before my local shop ever carries anything rare. 

I looked on ebay, and there are a few being offered from the UK and Germany, but with shipping costs, they'll set me back nearly as much as 1/35 scale kit, so I'll probably have to pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoftScience said:

looked on ebay, and there are a few being offered from the UK and Germany, but with shipping costs,

Check out Sprue brothers in Kansas city. 

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/vern0095.htm

In stock. They have 105 & 120 mm available as well. But the 120 wont do for this build. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I've made some progress with designing the 3D model for my T92 build. The white/light grey parts will be made from plastic card (I'll flatten the 3d model & print it on paper to use as a template) & the dark grey parts will be 3D printed. I've ordered two sets of Bronco's T80E1 tracks (one set was about 4 links sort of what I need!), the set also comes with drive sprockets too. Both will save me some time 3D modelling & printing but they look like a kit unto themselves.

t92_3d_01.png

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

the grey parts will be 3D printed.

Im presuming the darker grey in the image ? The lighter grey being kit pieces ? I agree about A/M tracks. The amount of time, parts, and intricacy involved i think they should almost be classified as a kit on their own. However i will stick with what ive seen in other builds. A/market tracks as a whole unit, are a kit that enhance & add refined detail to the original model. 

Dennis

The Light parts, which are large flat surfaces will be scratch build out the plastic card. The darker more complex parts will be 3D printed in resin. The aftermarket tracks & drive sprockets are going to be the only "kit" parts.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Might be a timely occasion to take a look at one of the Pershing/Patton track sets out there, AFV Club's 1/35 T84E1 workable track set. These are rubber tracks, as opposed to the steel T80E1 set they also make for this vehicle. The T84E1 set is also applicable to my subject, the M47. You get two bags of light tan track sprues in the box; the directions are on the back of the box. These tracks are 'intended' to be pressed together with no glue. One adds a guide tooth to a link, then make another set, and join the two with an end connector on each side. Lovely detail, totally workable, and also very fragile. You can glue these together, though, and make your own link and length style tracks out of them. This makes them much easier to handle. Use a slow setting cement like Tamiya extra thin, and you can play with your sections as needed. Then you can remove them from your kit by leaving some sections loose without connectors, paint, and join them up again when ready.

I can confirm the AFV club tracks will work on Dragon M26/46 kits, and the Italeri M47. Not sure on the Tamiya M26, or any of the other kits out there. Bronco does make these tracks too, but I've never seen these in person, let alone used them. So, 'no comment' on them. Italeri's 'rubber band' M47 tracks are not horrible in the kit, but these can take your model to another level. If you have the patience. I'm not sure if I do anymore.

IMG_5435_zpshjeis6vh.jpgIMG_5438_zpsyax4imns.jpgIMG_5437_zps9pnepeuz.jpg

• Like 2

Woohoo! I scored a 1.72 Revell M60A3! 

If anybody else in the US is looking for this kit, you can get one from Internet Hobbies. 
They also have a lot of excellent 1/72 armor kits from Ace. 

I've purchased from them in the past, and they're very good and prompt. Shop with confidence! 

https://internethobbies.com/products/revell-germany-military-1-72-m60a3-military-tank-kit

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Woohoo! I scored a 1.72 Revell M60A3! 

If anybody else in the US is looking for this kit, you can get one from Internet Hobbies. 
They also have a lot of excellent 1/72 armor kits from Ace. 

Great im very happy you were able to find one. Thanks for the great tip on another place to look for kits & A/M. 

Dennis

22 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Bronco does make these tracks too, but I've never seen these in person, let alone used them. So, 'no comment' on them. 

I have a set of those, which are freaking me out at the moment!  :door:   I'll post some pictures of them eventually.

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have a set of those, which are freaking me out at the moment!  :door:   I'll post some pictures of them eventually.

Good luck. I'm still 'processing' what the exact details and extras my Italeri M47 may, or may not use. 3 months is not a lot of time with my glacial build pace. From the pictures and instructions I've seen of the Bronco sets, they've taken a different approach and parts breakdown than AFV Club. I'm not sure the Bronco ones would be any less work, though!

On 09/03/2019 at 02:39, Asmodai said:

Good luck. I'm still 'processing' what the exact details and extras my Italeri M47 may, or may not use. 3 months is not a lot of time with my glacial build pace. From the pictures and instructions I've seen of the Bronco sets, they've taken a different approach and parts breakdown than AFV Club. I'm not sure the Bronco ones would be any less work, though!

Me neither...  :yikes: 

track01.JPG

track02.JPG

It's madness!   Madness, I tell ya!!!   :frantic:

Just be careful with the Bronco tracks, I put these together a few years ago and they didn’t fit the sprockets for the AFV club M88 , tamiya M60 , Academy M60, Def resin sprockets. The pitch of the teeth didn’t mesh with any know sprockets. I asked the question on a few Armour forums and the same answer came back.... no known kit exists to use the Bronco tracks. 

Wouldnt want  you to go to the trouble in assembling these only to be really miffed that they didn’t look right. 

• Thanks 1

That would be pretty lousy to find out later on. Especially with the amount of work those Bronco links are. I’m not sure how compatible the AFV Club stuff is beyond the Dragon and Italeri kits I’ve tried them on, but you're good there.  

Just got my sets of Bronco T80E1 tracks too. I was shocked how much plastic is in the box, by the weight of it you'd think there was a set of metal tracks in the box 😛

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 2