PATTON TANK STGB Chat

Hi Dennis. Hope you are well and Happy New Year! I'm definitly still in.

At the momment I'm kind of torn between Hobbyboss's 1/35 T26E4 Super Pershing Pilot # 1 and Tamiya's 1/48 US Medium Tank M26 Pershing for which I've got two Hauler PE detail sets. I'll have a look in the kit boxes over the next couple of days to try and decide which to build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Dennis. Hope you are well and Happy New Year! I'm definitly still in.

At the momment I'm kind of torn between Hobbyboss's 1/35 T26E4 Super Pershing Pilot # 1 and Tamiya's 1/48 US Medium Tank M26 Pershing for which I've got two Hauler PE detail sets. I'll have a look in the kit boxes over the next couple of days to try and decide which to build.

Kind regards,

Stix

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Both would be very welcome options Stix.  

Having had a good look through the plastic, PE and instructions in each box (Hauler PE x 2 in the case of the Tamiya kit) I have decided to build this one:

32702036538_0acd8d9278_b.jpg

The plastic looks to be very nicely detailed and it is a very interesting looking beast of a tank - with the additional armour and huge main gun! I have found a few photos of the actual tank so there were many reasons why this will be my project for the GB. It looks like it will be a fairly complex build and it will be my first 1/35 Hobbyboss kit - having had a go at one of their 1/48 Sherman kits before, which I enjoyed making.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone ...  Im just giving everyone on the sign-up list a friendly heads-up, there is no need to respond. We have just under 90 days till this build starts. I will send out another reminder when there is about 30 days to go. @Plasto, @Antoine@SimonT, @Arniec, @PlaStix, @Ozzy, @FrancisGL, @Asmodai, @Bullbasket, @modelling minion, @old thumper, @snapper_city, @vppelt68, @Etienne, @Threadbear, @AgentG, @Gav G, @mungo1974, @SleeperService, @Jim Wasley, @Romeo Alpha Yankee, @Dave_R, @Joss, @badger, @Sgt.Squarehead, @Sabre_days, @Julien, @fatfingers, @PZRGREN, @Mark Hoffmanly

Im looking forward to hosting my very first group build ever, with my co-host Plasto. If anyone is interested i would like to invite a second co-host to help ? If not we will be fine. If anyone has any questions, or if there are any members interested in joining the build please ask. 

Dennis

Dennis I looked for my M26a1 and I had already built it(must have had a seniors moment)I see you have the M88 Nam on the list,I can buy the M88A1 is that still OK to build ?,Cheers.Jim.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

I see you have the M88 Nam on the list,I can buy the M88A1 is that still OK to build ?

Yep its still a sub-variant of the Patton series. Though the M88a1 came into existence starting in 1977 so not good for Vietnam ? If you wanted to show it as a NATO Based unit i think that would be great. You could also try and back date it to a Standard M88 if you still wanted one for Vietnam ? I dont think there is much different between the 88 & the 88a1. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

The plastic looks to be very nicely detailed and it is a very interesting looking beast of a tank - with the additional armour and huge main gun! I have found a few photos of the actual tank so there were many reasons why this will be my project for the GB. It looks like it will be a fairly complex build and it will be my first 1/35 Hobbyboss kit - having had a go at one of their 1/48 Sherman kits before, which I enjoyed making.

I have the Zaloga article in Military Modelling which may be very helpful. The 'A' and '2' weren't on the vehicle in service it was a reference number when dumped after the war. After the extra armour was added it was resprayed OD and black. Finally if the kit allows it she should sit slightly nose down.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle That's a very useful album indeed. Thank You for sharing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/01/2019 at 23:17, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @PlaStix ... I was fortunate enough to photograph the real deal T26E4 back in July. I have posted the photo’s here

for now and will add the Patton series into the info file when the build opens. 

Dennis

Thank you very much Dennis - excellent photos! :thumbsup:

On 03/01/2019 at 08:09, SleeperService said:

I have the Zaloga article in Military Modelling which may be very helpful. The 'A' and '2' weren't on the vehicle in service it was a reference number when dumped after the war. After the extra armour was added it was resprayed OD and black. Finally if the kit allows it she should sit slightly nose down.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle That's a very useful album indeed. Thank You for sharing it.

Hi SleeperService. Thank you very much for the information - really useful! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Ah, the saga continues here! I decided to crack one of my Italeri M47 kits open. I have several; the kit has appeared in many boxes, and at least three other company's branding besides Italeri over the years. I opened up a still sealed Testors boxing from the late 80s; while the kit is exactly the same, Testors directions were usually more comprehensive at least. I got a surprise! The kit has three main sprues - hull, turret, and running gear. Inside my sealed and internally bagged Testors kit, I found hull, turret, turret. No running gear, LOL 😁! I think the hobby gods are trying to tell me something about being part of this group build 😲. I opened one of the other boxings I had, and it was correctly packed this time 😏. Whew! I didn't want to open the third one I had here, too...

Another note for anyone else contemplating this kit. In almost all of the boxings, the exact same four decal options are given - US, German, French, and Italian. Italeri did not do a lot of research on these, and the markings may not be complete or very accurate for an actual in service vehicle, if that is your goal. The markings on the US one, for example, are of a museum M47 that last I knew was at the Camp Roberts Museum in California. So you may want to do some more research if using kit decals, and these things bother you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I found hull, turret, turret. No running gear, LOL 😁! I think the hobby gods are trying to tell me something about being part of this group build 😲. I opened one of the other boxings I had, and it was correctly packed this time 😏. Whew!

Ouch ... Im glad one of the three was complete. Well at least you have a couple of free goof ups on your turret now just in case ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ouch ... Im glad one of the three was complete. Well at least you have a couple of free goof ups on your turret now just in case ? 

Dennis

Asmodai's World of Italeri M47 Bitz is now open for business to serve his fellow modelers! As long as you don't need running gear, anyway....😎

• Haha 1

Ordered today, not many of them around but I remember this from my teenage days building Tamiya models and it always caught my eye in the catalogue so now's my chance. I appreciate it is not considered completely accurate 🙂 the Eduard PE set seems to be no longer available so I may have to do a bit of scratch build or use a similar PE set for a M60. Anyhoo, really looking forward to this.  🙂

EuOpwSL.jpg&key=2e232b5b0c6dcb76f3de8079

Might build OOB with the MERDC paint scheme, although I have found some pictures of a museum vehicle which has a really cool weathered paint job from being stood outside for years.

1 hour ago, Yetifan said:

I appreciate it is not considered completely accurate 🙂 the Eduard PE set seems to be no longer available so I may have to do a bit of scratch build or use a similar PE set for a M60.

Yes ive heard its not 100% accurate myself. Thought i remember reading somewhere that it is based on one of the pre-production versions. I believe its actually based on the M48 chassis ? You may want to investigate and decide before purchasing any Photo-etch ? I am looking forward to seeing a Sgt.York built. 

Dennis

4 hours ago, Yetifan said:

an interesting painting and weathering challenge

Yes the weathering and painting on that would be a good challenge. I think that will make for an interesting display piece if you make a concrete pad or plinth to mount it on. I think i have a color from Ammo by Mig that might just be a good match for the faded green ? Its there APC interior green. Ammo’s code is AMM0082, I just used it on the exterior of a Sci-fi build. 

Dennis

33 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes the weathering and painting on that would be a good challenge. I think that will make for an interesting display piece if you make a concrete pad or plinth to mount it on. I think i have a color from Ammo by Mig that might just be a good match for the faded green ? Its there APC interior green. Ammo’s code is AMM0082, I just used it on the exterior of a Sci-fi build. 

Dennis

Great tip Dennis have found it on emodels, looks like a pretty good match 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

I have the files to 3D print a T92 HMC that I've been wanting to try out, would that be acceptable for this GB?

Yes it counts as it does appear to be a derivative of the M26 chassis. They built 5 vehicles for testing. That meets the criteria of being a direct derivative and actually being physically built. I have added you to the original list on page 1, welcome to the build. 

Dennis

Hello @Plasto ... The T29 is by definition a development of the T26 which became the M26/46 series. Yes its allowed as they did physically build test vehicles. At least 3 of those are still in existence today. I dont see why not on the markings. Considering test vehicles carried pretty similar markings to those of production vehicles.