PATTON TANK STGB Chat

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up.

Add me the list. Ive got the Revell M48A2GA2 and the Academy Magach 6b Gal Batash to choose from. Also got the Italeri M47 too B)

Regards.

Steve

You sir are added to said list. 👍 Thanks for joining the party. Im sure i speak for everyone involved in saying those are all great choices. 

Dennis

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PZRGREN said:

Could I join in on this GB?   With Italeri M60A1 Patton?

155971-11575-pristine.jpg

Of course you may join. In fact you just did by asking. This build wont start for a year. If you choose to do so you could build this kit for practice. Then purchase another for the build, that or collect any information & Aftermarket you might wish to use with this kit. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Of course you may join. In fact you just did by asking. This build wont start for a year. If you choose to do so you could build this kit for practice. Then purchase another for the build, that or collect any information & Aftermarket you might wish to use with this kit. 

Dennis

I like those ideas, not sure my wife would but I wont tell if you wont! ;-) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Would you by chance be interested in signing up ?

I normally only build WW-2 planes.

But the Belgian army did use it,and I believe their is a kit with those decals. Will have to look around for the brand.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe unless i misunderstood the wiki page that the lower hull & chassis parts were recycled as well ? Thats why i included it in the greater family tree. 

That's why I didn't know. The chassis and design is totally German.

Correct me if I'm wrong.The Abrams uses the German Leopard gun. Does that mean it's a Leopard sub-type ?

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

I normally only build WW-2 planes.

But the Belgian army did use it,and I believe their is a kit with those decals. Will have to look around for the brand.

That makes two of us, about 98% of my modeling is aircraft. Its entirely your choice, this is a year from now and plenty of time to decide. Though im not a fan of any MBT made after the Patton series. If i had to choose then my favorite being the Merkava.

Now To your question per the Abrams. No its not a derivative of the leopard. And I acknowledge that if its true then the Kanonenjagdpanzer will not be allowed.

I stated clearly when setting this build up Im in no way an Armor expert. I shall dig around for more info. If you have anything besides wiki for info id be glad to read that. 

🔺 = Ive done a bit of digging erwin. I can see similar components comparing the Kanonenjagdpanzer and M47. Tracks, idler, suspension components, & main gun. However that isnt enough to me to qualify as a sub-type. So i will remove this as an option for now. If you or anyone else can offer more proof supporting a yes or no connection i will re-evaluate that decision. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some bad, or at least indifferent news from me to bump this up to the top again for a bit. For a variety of boring reasons, I'm not going to be able to produce the 1/72 M103 I had picked previously. And I do not have the heart to attempt to correct the injustices inflicted by Dragon on their 'Black Death' 1/35 M103. That would take me far more time than allotted for this group build, with my glacial work pace. I am still in the build, though. It will likely be something from the Dragon M48/M60/Magach series, or the AFV club M60A1, all of which suitable kits are already in hand. Sorry for any trouble, and I'll finalize when we are a little closer. 

Edited by Asmodai
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 12:39 AM, Asmodai said:

For a variety of boring reasons, I'm not going to be able to produce the 1/72 M103 I had picked previously. And I do not have the heart to attempt to correct the injustices inflicted by Dragon on their 'Black Death' 1/35 M103. That would take me far more time than allotted for this group build the Universe has left.

Corrected that for you with a more realistic timescale.

At SMW Telford a while back there was the monster ARV on the M103 chassis on a club table. The builder had started sorting the 1/35 Dragon kit and decided the ARV was easier. The only one I've personally seen built was a review build for a magazine, I think that says a lot. It looked pretty poor and I'm no expert on the subject.

OKB's big kits are not really GB materiel.....I considered their 1/72 Kondensator for the 1960s NATO/Warpac GB, but it's just not a viable option, a 1/35 AMX-13 with Voyager etch will be a much simpler and more realistic build in the timescale.  ;)

If you think Dragon's 1/35 M103s are bad check out their 1/72 versions.....Kits so poor they won't use pictures of the actual parts in their own advertising.  :rolleyes:

PS - I'd vote no on the Jagdpanzer Kanone for the reasons already discussed. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If you think Dragon's 1/35 M103s are bad check out their 1/72 versions.....Kits so poor they won't use pictures of the actual parts in their own advertising.

Nothing like a bit of confidence in your products.....I genuinely shudder to think.:deadhorse:

It’s a shame that Dragon did such a horrible job with both the 1/72 and 1/35 M103s. It is a personal favorite non mainstream vehicle for me, and it stinks that the only injection kits available or foreseeable for it are so pathetic. More caricatures than representations of the real thing. Unfortunately, the Black Death line from Dragon was right about when their pullback from plastic models started. And it shows....

• 3 months later...

Anyone still out there? About three months to go until launch. I'll bump this back to page one with a bit of news. I've decided to join the M47 crowd. I'm going to do the Italeri one over the newer Takom kits, though. After looking at the Takom kit in person, and reading some online stuff, it has some significant issues of its own despite it being 40 years newer than the Italeri kit. The Italeri M47 is a true classic. It was one of the best kits available of any piece of armor when introduced in the 70s, and while it has its drawbacks , it still holds its own as a viable option all these years later. 

I also have an extensive upgrade set for this vehicle from DEF Models. It has resin, etch, metal, and decals for the M47. I'm not sure how much of it I will use, but the main thing I wanted in the set was the simulation of the canvas covered gun mantlet. These vehicles, and the M48 for that matter, were not often seen without this cover. AFV Club's set of T84E1 tracks are also appropriate for this vehicle. 

One other word of advice to group builders in the meantime here - check your photo hosting, and make sure it's working. There has been a lot of upheaval in the image hosting business the last few years,  and you may need to change or upgrade your image hosting capabilities. Be prepared now!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I've decided to join the M47 crowd.

19 hours ago, Asmodai said:

The Italeri M47 is a true classic. It was one of the best kits available of any piece of armor when introduced in the 70s

Happy to see another going for the M47. I opted to change my own build as ive decided i wanted a Vietnam M48. The Italeri kit is still a good option even with the Takom on the market. Happy to see the older kits getting to see a chance alongside somebof the newer options. 

Dennis

PS - I will be sending reminders out soon to all members that were interested. 

Hello everyone ...  Im just giving everyone on the sign-up list a friendly heads-up, there is no need to respond. We have just under 90 days till this build starts. I will send out another reminder when there is about 30 days to go. @Plasto, @Antoine@SimonT, @Arniec, @PlaStix, @Ozzy, @FrancisGL, @Asmodai, @Bullbasket, @modelling minion, @old thumper, @snapper_city, @vppelt68, @Etienne, @Threadbear, @AgentG, @Gav G, @mungo1974, @SleeperService, @Jim Wasley, @Romeo Alpha Yankee, @Dave_R, @Joss, @badger, @Sgt.Squarehead, @Sabre_days, @Julien, @fatfingers, @PZRGREN, @Mark Hoffmanly

Im looking forward to hosting my very first group build ever, with my co-host Plasto. If anyone is interested i would like to invite a second co-host to help ? If not we will be fine. If anyone has any questions, or if there are any members interested in joining the build please ask. 

Dennis

• Like 6