PATTON TANK STGB Chat

Hi

As the 25th sign up I was asked to make if official here as I originally spotted the post in the armour section.

I'll be building something in 1/72. Possibly a German M48 as I have a revell kit, okb running gear and tracks and the tankograd book for reference.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

I copied this from my other Patton thread in the “Cold war Armor area.” Sorry about some of the photo's strange look.

Hello Fellow members,

This build will happen now I have the dates. They will be in 2019 from March 30 through June 30. That will give you plenty of time to gather a kit, info, and Aftermarket goodies for this. This build starts in 1945 and if you were interested in it you might consider the M26 Pershing. Tamiya makes this one. L7nNWrR.jpg

Yes its a Patton tank build not a Pershing build, but did you know that 1,160 of the Pershings were rebuilt/upgraded to M46 & M46a1 Pattons ? If you consider an M46 you could make the appropriate mods or maybe use this kit from Dragon. eRSi04K.jpg

If you opt to go this route you might have a companion for sherman tank if you join/build this New Tamiya kit for the M3/M4 group build. VcI6NOb.jpg

Ok WW2 & Korea not your interest maybe its Cold war types. Maybe you want a patton to stand against a T55. The T55 your thinking of building for the group build. You could try your hand with one of Takoms releases of an M47 Patton, Like this one. QYvC0VH.jpg

Or the other Takom kit.

56hrMtT.jpg

You could go for one of the many nations that used the M47 Patton. That gives you plenty of opportunity for many varied markings and Camouflage choices. 

Enough for today, i will go over the M48 in my next post. Have a great modeling day. Please contact me or the co-host Plasto, if you have any questions. 

Dennis 

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners
Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hello Fellow members ... so I thought i would continue this even though we are in. I want to help anyone not sure or someone that might be new to armor. So my last installment was on the M26/46 & M47 early Patton’s. We can move up to the M48 & see some off the things that are out there. 

Lets start it off with Tamiyas M48a3. npC67I3.jpg

From this you could go with a nice easy build, or you could do some add-ons like these from Legend. I dont get any benefit by mentioning Legend. Im just using it to show options.

4Xy0JDE.jpg

Combine the two to get something like this M48 from Vietnam.wVPEWv8.jpg 

You could go with these options from legend of stowage and reactive armor. Doing so will get you an late M48 Magach 3 from the Israeli Defence forces. bX21NFH.jpg3dj3mQJ.jpg

If neither options work for you you could try an AVLB folding bridge on the M48 Chassis. Heres a photo of a German example.NId9R3r.jpg

You could do an M728 Engineering vehicle as shown in this AFV Club model conversion and it will look like this.Tj2JofV.jpg

these are just some of the options with M48’s.

I will go over M60’s and some options in my next post. Were always looking for more members so if you decide you would like to join please follow the link in the opening post and ask me to add your name. To be fair if you want to  join the T55 STGB they're looking for recruits. This way you can add a Companion/Target on the shelf next to your Patton. Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.
  • Like 1

Hello Fellow members ... so I thought i would continue this even though we are in. I want to help anyone not sure or someone that might be new to armor. So my last installment was on the M26/46 & M47 early and the M48 mid Patton’s. So lets move onto the late Pattons, the M60. We can start with the M60a1 example in this kit from  dragon.347188F.jpg

Heres an Academy M60a2 Starship. Tamiya also makes one of these.

uL9JNyv.jpg

Here we have an example from Dragon of an early IDF M60 with reactive armor. 

NkFj3PE.jpg

Or you have an option of a USMC M60 with Blazer armor like this one from Tamiya.

1fOA6xw.jpg

Now you can upgrade the kits above with something like this Stowage set by Legend. nImX7c4.jpg

If your into Israeli armor you could do a late M60 Magach 6 like this one from i believe Academy. 

UySQYJL.jpg

Some other options if you like to do different looking things. You could try something like this M60 with a mine roller from Academy.I97onnv.jpg

I know there are aftermarket kits for these mine plows for M1 Abrams. But they were also used on M60’s in Desert storm. Heres a photo to give you an idea. iZWawHl.jpg

There you have it a quick idea of whats possible with the Late model M60 series Pattons. Next up i will run through the offshoot Heavy tanks like the M103 and also some other variants of pattons. If your interested but not sure or have questions ask me or the co-host Plasto. I hope to see you soon and have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.

Hello fellow members and the viewing community at large. I’ve gone over the 4 major generations of the Patton tank up to now. Next up lets look at some options for Derivatives and cousins. We can start with the M26/46 Prototype engineering vehicle. It was known as the T39 heres a photo i found of the prototype. Mvk6FUY.jpg

M6 dozer blade as seen on this photo of an M47. XqHsSWQ.jpg

Later generations of the Patton would use the M9 Dozer blade.  Next up we can see an M88 Armored Recovery Vehicle as this example from AFVWFEse5R.jpg

If heavy tanks interest you there is always the M103 which is a derivative of the M48. Here is an example from Dragons Black Label series. sOHFhRI.jpg

The USMC had an Armored recovery vehicle the M51 very similar to the M88 above but based on the M103 chassis. Heres an example in photo form. rbhuL7B.jpg

So that covers armored recovery and heavy Tank versions. In my next installment i will cover some of the various heavily upgraded and modified versions. We are always looking for more recruits so please consider joining us. Please contact myself or the co-host if you have questions? Have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

Hello just a quick message looking for more recruits. I found this photo of an M48 in Vietnam with the extra stowage and sunshade. Looking closely you will see this version has a double .50 calibre mount on top of the turret. That would make for an interesting feature on a build. I am going for an M47 but this is my likely back-up option. U8Zkv2E.jpg

Any how like i said a quick message. We are always looking for more recruits. If you have questions im available if not try the co host Plasto. We will try to answer your question as soon as possible. Please have a great modelling day.  

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late, but I'll be in with the 1/72 M48A3 that I failed to build for the Vietnam GB due to a serious loss of patience with its companion.....I reckon it should easily pass the 25% limit, IIRC I'd built the bogeys and maybe set them up on the bottom track run before I pancaked the PT-76.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 1:72 armour bug has officially bitten: please count me in. Luckily, it's far enough into next year that my "no new kits in 2018" New Year's resolution doesn't conflict with the complete lack of anything suitable in my stash. Current plan is to represent the beginning and end of the line (at least as far as U.S. production model gun tanks are concerned) with the Trumpeter T26E3 and the Revell M60A3, with the latter in the 1991 current-style NATO tri-color camouflage option from the kit decals. That should bookend it nicely: two U.S. Army tanks stationed in Germany, an M26 Pershing at the very end of World War II and an M60 Patton at the very end of the Cold War.

Part of me is sorely tempted to delve into 1:35 for some of the more obscure possibilities out there (Takom T29E3 or T30/34, Dragon M103 or Tamiya or Academy M247 Sergeant York), but time, budget and shelf space all point in favour of sticking to 1:72...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been stocking up on M103 bits and references, even though our start is still around a year away. I already had 2 of the Dragon 1/72 M103A1 kits. They leave a lot to be desired, but like their 1/35 counterpart, they're the only injected game in town. I did pick up a ModellTrans Modellbau resin turret for the kit. If I use it, it will address some of the kit turret deficiencies. Alas, it looks to be discontinued from ModellTrans already, so I may not be able to get any further ones. 

I also have the OKB Grigorov resin 1/72 M103A1 and A2 kits. They are probably the best kits of the vehicle in any scale, but too complicated for the group build and my snail like build pace, unfortunately. 

One last bit of M103 news - Dragon had allocated a stock # and box art for their 1/72 M103A2 variant in plastic for a while now. If some of the online retailers are to be believed, they are expecting this kit in a month or so; if it happens I should be able to have both variants by the start of the build.

• Like 3

I'll have to post a picture of the OKB Grigorov kit contents once I get my photo sharing sorted out. I was a Photobucket user :swear: when they decided to tell everyone to get lost. Have to get that sorted out before we begin...

The Grigorov kits are resin and etch, with link and length tracks. And there is probably as much, or more etch than a 1/35 kit. The fenders are totally etch, for example. Looks great, but a @#$#% to assemble. The instructions are weak, and no decals. In short, you need some experience, and decent references if you're going to build one of those kits. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2018 at 1:51 AM, Asmodai said:

I also have the OKB Grigorov resin 1/72 M103A1 and A2 kits. They are probably the best kits of the vehicle in any scale, but too complicated for the group build and my snail like build pace, unfortunately.

I've seen those OKB kits.....Not for the faint hearted!  ;)

If anyone is thinking about building a 1/72 M48, the OKB plastic running gear upgrade is a must (as you will be starting with an ESCI/Italeri/Revell kit): 

https://shop.okbgrigorov.com/product/3/1-72-chassis-correction-set-for-m-48-torsion-arms-road-wheels-return-rollers-and-t97e2-tracks.html

It needs some work to make it fit, but it's so much better than the kit parts.  :nerd:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1