PATTON TANK STGB Chat

hxZpabH.jpg

THANKS TO ALL THE MEMBERS WHO SIGNED UP FOR THIS   

**THE DATES FOR THIS BUILD ARE 30 MARCH 2019 Through 30 JUNE 2019. **

Ok so I know there has been a-lot  of interest in Armor STGB’s so far. So I have this idea for a group build. We hopefully will join the other three successful single type Armor builds in a year. Im hoping this will be a Fourth that will cover 72 years of armor over Four major types with several sub-types and variants. This build would cover everything from the earliest version of the M-46 Patton and its sire the M26. All the way to the latest Israeli variant of the M-60 and everything in between. 

Ok We now have Two co-host’s, Plasto and Plastix and myself will be the three hosts for the build. 

THE QUALIFYING VARIANTS :

Start with the M26*/46 series.L7nNWrR.jpg

And its spinoffs the T29/30/34 prototypes. V2SZ3LB.jpgThose ultimately helped develop the M103.sOHFhRI.jpg There was the T39 Prototype Eng. vehicle(M46) which one member is planning on doing.Mvk6FUY.jpg

We then have the M47QYvC0VH.jpg & all of its sub-types including the M6 dozer and Sabalan Iranian tank AGQUhnD.jpg

Next is the M48 npC67I3.jpg& all of its sub-types including the Engineering vehicles and Remotely operated vehicles. There is also the M67 “Zippo” flamethrower tank. baFptWQ.jpg

That is followed by the M60347188F.jpg & all of its sub-types. We have an option to build the M88 ARV.WFEse5R.jpg

Some of you might consider scratchbuilding an M51 ARV based on the M103.rbhuL7B.jpg

You could always try your hand with an M247 Sgt.YorkEuOpwSL.jpg

ISRAELI Variations are definitely allowed and encouraged. All of these versions like thecRX1fKB.jpg

UySQYJL.jpg

Also any other variations of the already mentioned types. 

Any Self-propelled Artillery based on the same chassis. Such as M53 & M55 which use components from the M-48 drivetrain.

* As i have posted The M26 counts as 1,160 were converted to M46 & M46a1’s so to me that is a direct connection and should qualify. 

PLEASE IF I’VE MISSED ANY VARIANTS I URGE YOU TO SUGGEST/ASK AND WE WILL RESEARCH AND DECIDE.

Any scale would work. 

Standard build rules will apply including the 25% rule.

* I however understand that some of the aftermarket tracks take time to assemble. That might classify its own build ? 

No WHIFS there are enough mods with these as is. We dont need to think up imaginary tanks. I will consider working prototypes as a project. But no paper projects that is just another form of Whif. 

So let me revisit we now have had two successful Armor STGB’s. The M3/M4 build and The Panzer Mk.IV build. We have a Mk VI Tiger Tank STGB, Panther group build in 2020, the T-34, & T-55.

Provisional builds 

**1. Corsairfoxfouruncle = M48a3 vietnam(host)

2. Antoine - ?

3. SimonT - 

4. Arniec - M60

**5. PlaStix - Co-host

6. Ozzy - M46 

7. FrancisGL - M60 starship

8. Asmodai - M47

9. Bullbasket - 

10. Modeling minion - M47

11. Old thumper - M26 

12.  snapper_city - M48a3

**12a. Plasto - M26 (co-host)

14. vppelt68 -  

15. Etienne - M47

16 Threadbear -

17 AgentG - M46

18. Gav G - M26/46

19. mungo1974 - 

20. SleeperService - M26 or T39

21. Jim Wasley - M26a1

22. - Romeo Alpha Yankee - M60

23. - Dave_R - M47

24. - Joss - M26

🏁25. - Badger M48

26. Sgt.Squarehead  - M48a3

27. Sabre_days - M26/M60 dual bld.

28. Julien - CM-11 BraveTiger

29. Fatfingers - 

30. PZRGREN - M60a1

31. Mark hoffmanly -M48as

32. Yetifan -M60?

33. Mig eater

34. Kayell - M60a3

35. Hewy - M60

36. Churchill-T26e4 SuperPershing 

37. Scargsy - Magach 7

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.
Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional
  • Like 2

Sign me up Dennis, I'm mainly a WW2 modeller. However got to support any Armour STGB, so if I can find a M46 Patton or failing that a Vietnam era tank.

• Like 1

Wow, it's a shame, I already have blogged in the forum two models that would have been very good, an M47 Patton from Italeri and a M48A3 Patton from Tamiya, both to 1/35.

I do not know if it would be correct to include them in the group, but if there is no problem, you would already have two models completed ... lol

I also have a M60 Dragon Starship to 1/35, but now I did not plan to do it (I'm finishing improving a T34 / Zvezda to 1/35.

If it does not run very fast, for later if this model serves, then I would join.

Let me know with whatever it is, mate cheers. :yes:

• Like 1

FrancisGL ... most likely if we get enough votes and it goes through to a future build it will be in 2019. Plenty of time to find another Tank to build. Yes the M47 and M48 would have worked. Sadly we cant include finished builds. But i do like the idea of seeing a M60a2 “starship” in the build 👍 nice choice. I will definitely count you in 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

FrancisGL ... most likely if we get enough votes and it goes through to a future build it will be in 2019. Plenty of time to find another Tank to build. Yes the M47 and M48 would have worked. Sadly we cant include finished builds. But i do like the idea of seeing a M60a2 “starship” in the build 👍 nice choice. I will definitely count you in 👍

Well, if it's for 2019 ... maybe Mr. Trump has been good and we have not been affected too much by climate change ...:boom:lol
Then the M60A2 Dragon Starship to 1/35 for the baby ... :D

Cheers mate :yes:

• Like 1

Any and all will work Antoine 👍 ... im shooting for a Takom M47 myself but an M60 in MERDC Camouflage is a close second. 

Oddly enough ive split the difference. Im doing an M48a3 from Vietnam.

If it goes through, I'd consider joining with something different....and likely a different scale, too. 1/72 M103 Heavy Tank. I have the Dragon M103A1 kit, which is kind of weak, but an easy build. I already finished one, but have a few more to do in the two other schemes they gave in the box. Way more complicated, but I also have the OKB Grigorov 1/72 M103A1 and A2 resin kits also. Very nice kits, and way more accurate, but a ton of work. I haven't decided yet :penguin: I'm not  sure I'd feel up to tackling the horror shows the Dragon 1/35 kits are, but I love the M103! Here's a shot of an M103A2 at a reserve center near me.

IMG_1297_zpsaee2aeab.jpg

Edited by Asmodai
  • Like 1

@old thumper & @Ozzy Im checking into something on that very subject. Since the M46 was essentially an upgraded version of the M26 there might be a possible in road.  

Ok hold the presses folks ... I just did a bit of research into the M26/M46 Family tree. And I found this piece from the M46 wikipedia page all rights goes to wikipedia. Im just quoting this for informational use.  

“the Bureau of Ordnance decided that the tank needed its own unique designation. When the rebuild began in November 1949, the upgraded M26 received not only a new power plant and a main gun with a bore evacuator, but a new designation M46. In total, 1,160 M26s were rebuilt: 800 to the M46 standard, 360 to the M46A1.”

If thats the case and it is accurate  you theoretically could build an early M26 conversion to an early M46 or M46a1 standard. Im looking for help on this judgement amongst the Armor experten here on Britmodeller. Also if anyone might be interested in co-hosting let me know ? 

Additional

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Any and all will work Antoine 👍 ... im shooting for a Takom M47 myself but an M60 in MERDC Camouflage is a close second. 

Don't know yet.

I might build the CM11 conversion together with the M60A1 USMC, or the M60A2.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@old thumper & @Ozzy Im checking into something on that very subject. Since the M46 was essentially an upgraded version of the M26 there might be a possible in road.  

Ok hold the presses folks ... I just did a bit of research into the M26/M46 Family tree. And I found this piece from the M46 wikipedia page all rights goes to wikipedia. Im just quoting this for informational use.  

“the Bureau of Ordnance decided that the tank needed its own unique designation. When the rebuild began in November 1949, the upgraded M26 received not only a new power plant and a main gun with a bore evacuator, but a new designation M46. In total, 1,160 M26s were rebuilt: 800 to the M46 standard, 360 to the M46A1.”

If thats the case and it is accurate  you theoretically could build an early M26 conversion to an early M46 or M46a1 standard. Im looking for help on this judgement amongst the Armor experten here on Britmodeller. Also if anyone might be interested in co-hosting let me know ? 

It is up to you on whether you decide to include the Pershing, I'm not nagging or complaining. The thing I have learnt about proposing group builds is that it can be very difficult to decide the boundaries of what should be included. A year or two ago I proposed a WW2 Polish group build but soon gave up when it became as clear as mud over what should be included, for instance whether to include Polish serving in the RAF, USAAF, Red Air Force or even Luftwaffe. To add to that sometimes Polish were part of mixed crews on bombers and even ships, sometimes pilots for example had Polish parents but were born in the USA. What should be let in and what should be kept out? it just all got to confusing for me in the end.

I suppose this Patton family group build is a little like having a Avro Lancaster family group build and asking whether to include the Manchester, York, Lincoln and Shackleton.   

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

Counted in Bullbasket 👍

@old thumper I think the pershing can stay in as there were almost 1,200 of them converted to M46 Pattons. If you opt to go that route my thoughts would be to use and build an M26 kit, and build it straight up. That or make the minor mods to turn it into an M46 such as installing an M46 drivetrain in an open engine bay ? 

• Like 1