Junkers J.1 - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Junkers J.1

1:32 Wingnut Wings

box.jpg

Popular with is crews. the Junkers J.1 was designed for ground attack, and featured a steel armoured 'bathtub' that formed the forward fuselage, protecting the engine and two crew members.
The rest of the aircraft was build from duraluminium tubing, covered with corrugated duraluminium sheeting. Rather than using cables & pulleys for the controls, it had rods and bell cranks to connect to the ailerons, elevator, and rudder, which were not so prone to being severed by machine gun fire.For the same reason no wire rigging was used, instead a very strong central structure was formed from tubing. Some aircraft were fitted with downward firing machine guns, but they were found to be cumbersome and awkward to aim, so most J1's were used for low level reconnaissance and Army co-operation. All in all it was very advanced machine for it's day, and was the first all metal mass produced aircraft.

It was one of Wingnut Wings first four releases and whilst many subsequent kits have sold out, the J.1 is still available. This suggests that it has not sold as strongly as some of the others, and in fact I had it low down on my own priority list of which Wingnuts kits to buy. I finally got round to getting one last Christmas, fearing that it might sell out soon, and leave me regretting not getting one.
I am really glad that I did, because once I had the kit in my hands it went right to the top of my 'to do' list. The surface detail is beautifully done, and the finished model has a real 'presence' to it. It is huge! It dwarfs any other single engined model and has become one of my favorites.
There is a minor problem to redress though (probably the only one in Wingnut Wings entire range), as an error was made with the length of the ailerons, resulting in a gap at their inner end. There are several suggested fixes on the internet I went with This one using spare parts D24 & D25 in the kit for a simple and easy correction.

j1-1.jpg

j1-2.jpg

j1-3.jpg

j1-4.jpg

j1-5.jpg

j1-6.jpg

j1-7.jpg

j1-8.jpg

j1-9.jpg

j1-10.jpg

The LVG C.VI is a big model, but is dwarfed by the J.1;

j1-12.jpg

It easily comes apart for storage too!

j1-11.jpg

As always, I thoroughly enjoyed this build. If you have been dithering about getting one of these, like I was, don't hang about, get one ordered!

You'll get to love it, it has got a sort of ungainly beauty about it just like its modern successor the A-10 Warthog.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Dear John,

Lovely model, and a nice introduction to the type.

The more I read about Wingnut Wings, the more my interest is piqued, although I'm a 1/72 kind of guy.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Looks great, the engine & cockpit in particular.

The J-1 would be a good introduction to the WNW range for those with a fear of rigging (there must be a word for it). I'm going to dip my toe in the water with the Sopwith Snipe once I've plucked up the courage.

Pete

• Like 1

John, this is the first time I've looked at any of your non airliner models, wow, it's amazing!  Seriously impressed. What sort of size is it?

You say it was popular with crews but I bet the gunner didn't like spending too much time sitting on that tiny seat!!

I'm going to check out some more WNW models for sure. Do you think they could be persuaded to move into airliners?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Nice work, as we have come to expect from you. I have looked at the box a few times but never inside it so am surprised to see how big it is. That is a neat trick being able to break it down for transportation or whatever.

Duncan B

I'm late to the party as usual but had the opportunity to see this beauty in the flesh tonight and I have to say it's a stunning model.

The whole Wingnut Wings package is really quite amazing particularly when produced to such a high standard as shown here.

Chris.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys, as always it is much appreciated.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:03 PM, Buzby061 said:

Looks great, the engine & cockpit in particular.

The J-1 would be a good introduction to the WNW range for those with a fear of rigging (there must be a word for it). I'm going to dip my toe in the water with the Sopwith Snipe once I've plucked up the courage.

Pete

Pete, you are right there, I reckon this would be en excellent first build of a Wingnuts kit. The struttery around the centre section needs care in assembly but should be no problem for a moderately experienced modeller. I'm looking forward to seeing picture of your completed Snipe!

On 10/16/2017 at 11:03 PM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Is this suitable for the first intro to Wingnuts kits

Fancy doing one but more Armour guy so not much  experience with wingy things   and no rigging makes it  attractive

Panzer Vor! it would go well with some British & German WW1 1:35 tanks, an idea that has already occurred to me.....

j1-16.jpg

A couple more to illustrate the size of this model, this time against a Sopwith Camel;

j1-14.jpg

j1-15.jpg

Cheers

John