Tamiya Prince of Wales

Matty287

Hi All, 

I've mostly been building Tamiya armour recently but have decided to take another go at ship modelling, I've ordered the above kit and have been looking at after market parts for it as well. 

Has anyone used Eduard photo-etch for this kit (Tamiya do a set but it's about £150!!)  and what would people say about them? The three sets for the ship come to more than the kit, is it worth it for the extra detail or is it better to just stick to out of the box?

Also any other recommendations of parts to add to it?

Finally what do people recommend paint wise, I usually just use the Tamiya acrylics and think these are a grey paint for the price you pay, buy any suggestions of other things to try would be welcome.

Cheers

Matt

SNAP (almost) I recently stuck a toe in the water of maritime modelling & picked up the Tamiya 1/350 King George V (same class as PoW).   I grabbed a timber deck for it & am looking at replacement Pompoms, Bofors etc.  There is a wealth of updates/upgrades for these models - no doubt a more experienced ship modeller will chip in with the necessary.  I'll be looking at Colourcoats paints  https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Yea, it was a hard choice between the two, I think if this goes well I'll end up doing the King George V as well! Where did you get the wooden deck from and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Have a look at Pontos Model's detail up set for POW - set number 35015F1. I think most would agree it stands head and shoulders above anything else available for the Tamiya kit, and furthermore everything you need is in the box (except rigging line).

I am thanks corsairfoxfouruncle.

The Pontos model stuff looks good Jamie, it's just nearly three times the cost of the model, it's very tempting though!

Thanks all for the great advice, I've looked at this forum a lot before for hints and tips just only now started using it!

• Like 1

You  could just get the WEM photo etch set this is what I, am doing with mine but getting some practice in on some smaller builds first like a Tribal class and a monitor

beefy

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

You  could just get the WEM photo etch set this is what I, am doing with mine but getting some practice in on some smaller builds first like a Tribal class and a monitor

beefy

PE35019 would be the WEM set if anyone is looking :)

img_wempe3519a_1024x1024.jpg?v=147801587

img_wempe3519b_1024x1024.jpg?v=150822155

• Like 1

I got this kit several decades ago and accumulated fittings as they were released starting with the Gold Medal set then the White Ensign which is very comprehensive.  I started to actually build it about two years ago but paused once I needed to start fitting railings on the superstructure as it is quite demanding to cut and bend the lengths supplied by WEM to achieve a good fit.  Fairly recently I realized that Eduard's railing set offers individually tailored bits that would greatly simplify things so have splashed out on this set and also their boats set as I think it is the only one that will improve the large open boats supplied in the kit. Others will have their own preferences.

It has arrived! It's such a hard decision between doing out of the box or getting the Pontos detail up set! I have a bit of money floating ATM so I think the detail set is winning. Does anyone have any images of the Pontos set?

Also, what do people think of this as a total just OOB model. I know it's one of their older kits but Tamiya stuff seems to be pretty consistently good.

Edited by Matty287

Wow thanks Jamie! That does look mighty impressive. I'm guessing it comes with a quite comprehensive manual?

I guess it now comes down to money and the decision of do I want to do the model again in the future if iI decide not to get aftermarket and then regret it! 

Edited by Matty287
  • Like 1

Ive done a lot of armour and other models with after market decals, photo-etch and brass barrels etc so I feel confident.

The biggest dilemma for me is I enjoy doing models out the box as much as I do adding after market for detail!

The above is true - there's a lot to these. The quality of instructions makes one of the largest impacts. Some are better than others. With some it's really not obvious what you're meant to do.

Prince of Wales, if being built in late 1941 guise also has a natty camouflage scheme to content with, which complicates the build sequence.

I've just finished a Tamiya KGV in 1/350 using the WEM set and I wasn't that impressed.

Int he future I have Academies Warspite to do for which I have a set by MK1 Designs this looks head and shoulders better than the WEM set but of course I haven't buit it yet, it's also cheaper thant he Pontos one though I think not so complete/overkill I would certainly consider a set by MK1 designs.

The WEM set for Warspite is much more recent and does have discreet railing sections etc. As above, the KGV set is one of the earliest sets. WEM is always accurate and they provide a lot of important little details that others often miss. If I had a criticism of WEM it's only that the instructions presume prior knowledge of what different fittings are called on real ships and that you have access to other references.

One of the most important aspects of sets now (for me) is brass masts. Plastic ones are horrible and a real pain to rig.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 4:34 PM, Matty287 said:

Yea, it was a hard choice between the two, I think if this goes well I'll end up doing the King George V as well! Where did you get the wooden deck from and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

I got the Hunter deck via eBay.  £19.80 was the "by it now" price.  TBH mine came with no instructions, not even how to attach it but I understand its self adhesive! 

• Like 1

Pontos and Artwox sell decks separately too for it. The Pontos decks usually come with anchor chain and dry transfer draft markings too.

Wherever it comes from an aftermarket deck is a better benefit than usual on this kit. Whilst I do like the kit and want another couple, the deck join really isn't clever and it's hard to get a satisfactory result. An aftermarket wooden deck neatly hides the problem area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree , you will never go wrong with a wooden deck - I recommend the Pontos or the Artwox ( you get a free anchor chain included ) -

if you were building say ,  the Arizona in 1/350 by Hobby Boss , an aftermarket wood deck would be essential to cover up the 2 seam lines on the upper deck that the kit makers

have you construct - I also cannot emphasise , how much added detail they add , and they just look wonderful ( I have the Artwox deck on the Tribal Class by Trumpeter ) and the added detail is amazing .

If you look at the Pontos metal gun barrel attatchment - you get a piece of metal that you can easily attach the brass barrels to , for ease - so that you can pose them elevated or at rest , this alone is worth a lot

as it saves you having to cut off plastic gun barrels and fit them metal ones to a kit piece of plastic - which can be fiddly ( and the Pontos fit will be ultra-secure and strong - exactly what you need )

The level of detail is worth every penny in a super-detail set - they make a huge difference to the kit plastic ( as others will agree )

I also agree that metal ensign and jacks staff are really far better than the kit ones ( Orange Hobby make them - for US Navy - in 1/350 - but you can use them for Royal Navy ships as well )

Edited by 73north

Shortly after the above posts, both of the remaining Pontos PoW sets went the same day so perhaps someone reading decided to take the plunge!

I am very keen to build Prince of Wales myself once we've taken colour research as far as it will go. I am sorely tempted to build the kit I have as HMS Howe though, as I do know the colours that was in when first commissioned in camouflage :)