Airfix Lancaster III EE136 WS-R 'Spirit of Russia' 9 Sqn, 1943

Simon

So, continuing with the catch-up of the build...

I'd decided at the beginning of the build to add some figures doing various jobs to the diorama. Here, an Erk is updating the mission tally for 'Spirit of Russia,' overseen by his Chief:

Lancaster-III-95

The Erk is from the CMK F72041 R.A.F. Mechanics and Pilot set, and Chiefy is the Bachmann figure I mentioned earlier.

They have some interested onlookers - firstly these two:

Lancaster-III-96

The figure in dungarees is the Czech Air Force CMK figure, and the bloke on the left is from Milicast's Pioneer Troops set, both with new heads from Dan Taylor Modelworks:

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=2657&cat=153&page=5

Also checking out the Erk's work are a couple of Officers and another Erk:

Lancaster-III-100

These are all from Gunthwaite Miniatures. The Officers' red car is an Austin 8 from Ace.

Lancaster-III-86

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Lancaster, the concrete dispersal pen seems to be in need of some repair:

Lancaster-III-104

These two chaps, also from the Milicast set, are getting stuff ready for hole-filling:

Lancaster-III-99

Lancaster-III-88

They're unloading stuff from an Airfix Austin K8, converted to a bomb flat, with replacement wheels from Wee Friends:

Lancaster-III-98

The concrete mixer to prepare the filler was scratch-built, with the drum coming from a 1/48 U.S. 500lb bomb, chassis and frame from Evergreen I-beam and plastic card, and the wheels from a set of 4mm pram wheels from Langley Models and N scale wagon wheels from P&D Marsh on Ebay.:

Lancaster-III-85

So, getting there, but one more item to add, of which more soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

So, just about finished, and ready to go to the 'Ready For Inspection' forum. Just this to add to the diorama:

I'd wondered about adding another item for the dispersal repair crew, and I've come across several mentions of road rollers being used on airfields - usually they're mentioned when something crashes into one. They were usually war department diesel powered ones, but I thought I'd try something a little different (and didn't want to scratch-build one, TBH!). This is the vintage Hales 1/72 Aveling and Porter steam road roller, which has been pressed into use by the Pioneer crew:

Lancaster-III-101

Lancaster-III-103

Lancaster-III-102

I've added quite a bit of detailing, and given it a 'worn' look. The various cogs and gears are old watch parts, and the coal is granulated sugar - it's not 100% accurate in detail, but looks better than the basic kit.

I'm not sure it would be allowed so near a Lancaster in real life, but needs must, and it does add something a little different...

So, all done and dusted, and I'll post some more pictures of the finished item in R.F.I. forum soon.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1