What fans can I use with a spray booth?

StealthBomber

Building my own spraybooth and I'm having a lot of trouble choosing the right fan. Lots of people saying you can use one thing and lots of people saying you can't. Squirrel cage fans seem to be the safest but they're pricey for the CFM they provide and in my case I'm going to need a lot of it. I have some brushless high powered blowers lying around, can I use those? I don't see how they would be able to ignite anything being brushless. If not, what are my other options?

Mine is entry #9 This is my home made spray booth spent less than $30 U.S. for it. I think it works great. Its cheap, Recyclable, and all of the components were cheap. They are easily accessible from any home improvement center.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I considered making one many years ago but after looking into various options I decided it would be easier and safer to buy one instead. So I ended up with a GraphicAir A300SD. Best thing I ever bought and never looked back. If you do make your own be sure to get the correct fan with sparkless motor. Last thing you want is an ignition of paint fumes/thinners. Many will say it won't happen but it can..

7 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

I considered making one many years ago but after looking into various options I decided it would be easier and safer to buy one instead. So I ended up with a GraphicAir A300SD. Best thing I ever bought and never looked back. If you do make your own be sure to get the correct fan with sparkless motor. Last thing you want is an ignition of paint fumes/thinners. Many will say it won't happen but it can..

I've known a couple of people that it happened to & you aren't covered by your home insurance if you aren't using a motor that is certified for the job you are doing.  

Paul 

1 hour ago, little-cars said:

I've known a couple of people that it happened to & you aren't covered by your home insurance if you aren't using a motor that is certified for the job you are doing.  

Paul 

Would you mind telling more? It would be the first actual airbrush spraybooth horror story on the internet as far as I know. On all these threads you only hear people talking about how their friend painting their car in the 80's had an explosion.

On 16/10/2017 at 12:01 PM, StealthBomber said:

Would you mind telling more? It would be the first actual airbrush spraybooth horror story on the internet as far as I know. On all these threads you only hear people talking about how their friend painting their car in the 80's had an explosion.

Hi,  I've replied by PM.   

Ta,

Paul