Danton, Hobby Boss, 1:350

Coming along great !

Just finished the missing keels , and one side is done with the pe for the port holes . I do about 10 at a time , then I have to rest , as I dont want to rush and do a bad job . After 10 I need to rest from the concentration . I am starting to look at the painting stage and the deck . The raised panel lines or ridges ( on the deck ) seems a little to high , or out of scale . Cant find any ref photos anywhere . What do you think ? I might sand them down a bit , or take them away and re scribe recessed lines instead . I will do some more research .

cheers Krister

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents, always nice to read comments like those ;) 

Krister its linoleum pinned down with flat pieces of brass,  like any Japanese ship, just a bit different layout. So they have to stick out, they're out of scale, but what a heck ;) 

Damm it looks good !

I realise now how good skills you have and the fine job you have done , when I am building my own . I thought I had the skills after 40 years of building , but I have still a lot to learn . Thought your hollowed out cranes looked good , why not try it my self ..... well I have learned now how to do it ( after have broken the parts several times , re filled wit ca glue , filler and home brew ) I finally got them so so that I can use them , and at some distance they look alright . It has taken me almost a week , to do the two cranes .

Love to see the progress in your build . It keeps my mojo going .

Cheers Krister

• Thanks 1

Great work as ever, Mick. This is certainly a striking vessel. As it progresses it's beginning to look more and more impressive. Those funnels however give it the appearance of a pre-dreadnought - part chemical works!

• Haha 1

Thanks. All small stuff, that will be hard fitted with rigging in place, slapped on. Dave it might be chemical works, but with a lot of heavy metal ;)

49677441291_84e2323eda_o.jpg

49677440961_97a6a55913_o.jpg

49677724392_97e25dc9b3_o.jpg

49677441181_73046155ea_o.jpg

49677441106_10dcb3971c_o.jpg

Now i guess that will be the end of rapid progress, I'm unleashing the SPIDER :lol:

Cheers

Mick

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2020 at 16:23, Krister said:

Damm it looks good !

I realise now how good skills you have and the fine job you have done , when I am building my own . I thought I had the skills after 40 years of building , but I have still a lot to learn . Thought your hollowed out cranes looked good , why not try it my self ..... well I have learned now how to do it ( after have broken the parts several times , re filled wit ca glue , filler and home brew ) I finally got them so so that I can use them , and at some distance they look alright . It has taken me almost a week , to do the two cranes .

Love to see the progress in your build . It keeps my mojo going .

Cheers Krister

I had the same problems with scratch building cranes. The cranes are a very important detail on every ship model. With every failed attempt the part gets more difficulties.

Such parts are for me easier to 3D design and print (the eyes and fingers)

You're dead right off course, but if they were laid out properly, they wouldn't look half as cool as now ;)

It's one of those little compromises between realism and wow effect. I'm trying to keep balance and not overdo it 

Thanks for watching and commenting.

Mick

• Like 3

Bloody hell.  We've just moved up an Astral plane :clap:

Amazing.  How do you attach to the deck?

And if it's not rude - where did you source your base?

The whole ship just looks Amazing!!!

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1