Danton, Hobby Boss, 1:350

54 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Scrap...no, no, no.

How do shade and highlight on such small things?

Stuart

I’m so glad you asked that, Stuart; the same thought had occurred to me.

• Like 1

It's a combination of my 3 phase colouring, done with airbrush and in smallest extremities  with paint brush, with wash. I'm using oils for washes most of the time, which allows for creating additional effects with their density.

• Like 3

No need for envy Rob, it's just a matter of practice. I wouldn't go with black base now, it creates  more work, but since I started this way, I have to finish it like that. Little tanks in 1:72 are very good practice in that method ( I wouldn't dare to call it my method ;) ), some nice and simple ones like the S-Model ones.

10- 20 parts, you have it assembled and ready for painting in 2-3 evenings. If you'll look through my models, the method is always the same, highly contrast base dulled down in phase III with base color misted over. 

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 2

Hi there I am a newbie on this forum , and I am building my first ever ship . I am doing the same as you the Danton , so this thread and your build is a great source and inspiration for me . I am just waiting for the aftermarket stuff . Guns and some porthole rigols ( after seeing your job ), and masking for the deck . You have given me a lot of ideas how to build mine , hope that is ok if I steal some ideas .

I have two questions for you , that I havent figure out yet . You havent glued the deck yet ? or how will you get the guns inside ? And how did you do your porthole rigols ? aftermarket or diy . Greatly appreciate any answer .

Ps love your job on the funnel cover . I love builds in small scale and fiddly stuff so I tried to solder the first one , but it was too smal . Ca glue the second , that worked great .Have not decided yet , if I am gonna use the crappy first one or scratch build a new one .

Cheers from Sweden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Krister, I'ts nice to know that my little handiwork is of any use to anyone. By all means take all ideas you want, modify them, make them better, then I'll steal them back ;) If You didn't get the Master masts yet, I highly recommend them. Now you just enriched my vocabulary, I never knew them damn things are called rigols :D Mine are just coils of 0,1 mm copper wire, chopped into about 120 degree slices glued on to the hull with waterbased glue called BCG (brand clear glue). After that I sprayed automotive primer over them to bond them properly with the rest. Timing was important here because that primer also simulates thickness of hull plating. I'm quite sure there are some pictures of that stage in the depths of this WIP. As for your second question, the deck is glued in and for putting Schneiders in, I guess I'll be using Force, just like Luke ;) 

For all my PE stuff I'm using either BCG or PVA first and then CA just to give it strength, where needed. Recently I discovered that Mr Metal Primer is also not bad for gluing bigger surfaces back to back and also to the plastic.

If you decide to start a WIP you can be sure you'll have dedicated follower ;)

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answer !

Yes I have bin looking at the set for Varyag , I think they may fit . Or is it another set you used? And for the " rigols " I found that name earlier in this thread 😋 . I will try the aftermarket set I found on ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alliance-Model-Works-1-350-WWII-IJN-Vessel-Portholes-Sidescuttles-NW35026/141501518061?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 ) , they may work . If not I might doing your way .

I`ll probably start a thread to show my progress , just have to learn how to do it on this site . I`m only a few hours old on this site .

Cheers

• Like 1

I have those:

http://www.master-model.pl/product/sm-350-090.html

http://www.master-model.pl/product/sm-350-089.html

http://www.master-model.pl/product/sm-350-088.html

http://www.master-model.pl/product/sm-350-087.html

There are no dedicated sets for Dantons, as far as i know, but using the sets above, you can make it as I did :) 

Ok thanks for that . I`ll probably order some ( when the next pay check comes ( have to spend more carefully now as I just got sacked from work 😪 ) . I have some more pre war ships  ( Borodino , Tsesarevich , Schleswig Holstein , Dreadnought in !/350 ) so spare masts will come in hand .

cheers

I see we have common interests, as my stash also contains Tsesarevich, Lord Nelson, Seydlitz, Mikasa......🤪 although I'm starting to think that I'll have to reduce ships bigger than destroyers to 1:700, in 1:350 they take too much time... This one is on the slip for nearly 2,5 years .

Ha ha  I see what you mean ! the rest off my ship stash are in 1:700 scale , only  Missouri and Tirpitz in 1:350 . I have decided that I wont do the same mistake I have done with the rest of my stash of aircraft and armour , where I for an example have  Spitfires in 1:144 , 1:72 , 1:48 and 1:32 scale . A few years back I realised that my stash is growing too big , so I only byes  one kit in one scale nowadays . Actually I have thinned my stash by sending 20-30 kits to charity , and my whole sci fi stash to a girl in another forum . As I lost my interest in star war kits . 

Gidday Guys, I've been following this build for a while now, it is very impressive. My interest is more WW2 but I've done one WW1 battleship and would like to do more ships of that era, the battlecruiser Seydlitz being high on my desired list. I also build ships in one scale only, 1/600 in my case, although I have a few 1/350s in the stash (they were too much of a bargain at the time) and some 1/700s I bought as sources of dimensions for scratch-building them in 1/600. Working in one scale only I find is easier to compare one vehicle to another, whether it be ships, tanks, aircraft etc. Also parts are more interchangeable I find.

Carry on the good work Mick.     And Krister, I'm looking forward to seeing yours.     Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Thanks 1

Looking at ref photos , they show the guns with blast bags . I will try to make them as you . What material did you use ? green/brown stuff , procreate putty ? there are so many sorts out there . 

Ps the mast set has arrived , and they look great , thanks for the tip .

Cheers 

Looking great Michael ! Nice job with the Schneiders !!! . I will have the same joy in some time , when I get so far in my build . Drilled up the holes for the guns , so hopefully they will go in a little bit easier . When test fitting the guns , it was a snap fit .