Danton, Hobby Boss, 1:350

Outstanding workmanship, or should I say artistry!  Has inspired me to build the Voltaire which is still on going.....

• Thanks 1

Well these are good subject, but in plastic only Tsesarevich and Borodinos are available. Borodinos are just modified copies of Tsesarevich plus Zvezda models of them are atrocious , so there is not much choice. Unless you want to go resin or paper road, then almost all of them are available....

Yes, have both in my stash and the zvezda kit is certainly challenging (polite for naff!).  Got as far as gluing the hull halves together and planing the etch and some research but this is going to be a time intensive jobbie!

14 hours ago, Michael M said:

Well these are good subject, but in plastic only Tsesarevich and Borodinos are available. Borodinos are just modified copies of Tsesarevich plus Zvezda models of them are atrocious , so there is not much choice. Unless you want to go resin or paper road, then almost all of them are available....

Thanks for the heads up but definitely going for resin.

17 hours ago, Michael M said:

Well in this case Combrig has very nice selection. Any in particular you're aiming at? Let me know, I do have some materials I can share if needed. 

Thanks, Michael

I was thinking of either Orel or Tsarevich or maybe the cruiser Askold. Not only has your build of Danton inspired me, I recently read a book about Tsushima and the Russian fleet's journey to the Far East.

Smirnoff's or Klado's? Well those two are available in plastic, my personal choice would be one of Pieresviets 🙂 I forgot about Varyag, that's not bad model as far as I know. I have paper one in 1:200.

Edited by Michael M

18 hours ago, Michael M said:

Smirnoff's or Klado's? Well those two are available in plastic, my personal choice would be one of Pieresviets 🙂 I forgot about Varyag, that's not bad model as far as I know. I have paper one in 1:200.

The Tsar's Last Armada by Constantine Pleshakov. Interesting to hear the story of the voyage from the Baltic to the Far East. Ultimatley doomed to failure form the moment the fleet cast off.

I model in 1/700 so I think it will Kombrig I'll be opting for. I only live a few miles from Starling Models so I'll pop in to see Mike.

Cheers

Read Semenoff's (not Smirnoff, clearly shows what was on my mind ;) ) The Russo-Japanese war at sea 1904-05. He actually fought in BOTH Far East Squadrons. On Diana in First and Suvorov in Second. Some read.

Edited by Michael M

Just in case someone is inspired by this inspiring build (see what I did there!), Creative currently have the Danton's sistership, the Condorcet, on sale for £30.24; a saving of around £20! It's the rebox of this kit by Hobbyboss so will be pretty much identical I assume.

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/hobbyboss_1350_french_navy_battleship_condorcet-p-48077.html

1111795-11104-23-720.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now this girl was left alone for faar to long ;)  Blastbags painted

47683305542_a8403688d4_o.jpg

32792925847_a2bd62fce2_o.jpg

plus deck gratings finally emerged from the acid... I can at last move on to the superstructures :penguin:

32792925897_99a310bbf3_o.jpg

Cheers

Mick 

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 8