FJ-2, FJ-3 interior colors

72modeler

OK, I know we are all getting pretty fired up to do FJ-2's right about now, and I'm sure this question isn't new, but selfishly for my benefit, could Sabrejet or Tailspin Turtle elaborate on this query? I want to get this one right! Regarding the FJ-2, on a natural metal VMF-235 Fury, would these colors be correct? Did Sword get the longer windscreen correct?

Did I get this right?

cockpit below consoles, seat: FS36231 dk. gull grey

wheel bays, speed brake bays: FS 34151, chromate green

landing gear doors, speed brake door interior, including edges: FS 31136, insignia red

inner surface of slats, slat wells on wing leading edge: unpainted or dull, anodized aluminum

Glad I have some spare Academy Sabre  kits and Cutting Edge slat sets, as it looks like I'm going to need one of them!

Mike

To SJ- I'm betting the raised panels you illustrated on the kit fuselage are due to a non-original airframe being used for research, just like when they did  their  F3D kit. I'm looking through museum photos to see if I can find out which airplane, if any, matches the tooling on the kit.

Agreed: on the blue FJ-2s, the underside of the slats was blue, with leading edges Corogard. And yes I said in the FJ-2 thread that I suspected a preserved FJ had been used as source data. Similar problem with the rudder on the Revell/Monogram 'early' F-86D. which has a test rudder modelled from the NMUSAF example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

OK, I know we are all getting pretty fired up to do FJ-2's right about now, and I'm sure this question isn't new, but selfishly for my benefit, could Sabrejet or Tailspin Turtle elaborate on this query? I want to get this one right! Regarding the FJ-2, on a natural metal VMF-235 Fury, would these colors be correct? Did Sword get the longer windscreen correct?

Did I get this right?

cockpit below consoles, seat: FS36231 dk. gull grey

wheel bays, speed brake bays: FS 34151, chromate green

landing gear doors, speed brake door interior, including edges: FS 31136, insignia red

inner surface of slats, slat wells on wing leading edge: unpainted or dull, anodized aluminum

Glad I have some spare Academy Sabre  kits and Cutting Edge slat sets, as it looks like I'm going to need one of them!

Mike

To SJ- I'm betting the raised panels you illustrated on the kit fuselage are due to a non-original airframe being used for research, just like when they did  their  F3D kit. I'm looking through museum photos to see if I can find out which airplane, if any, matches the tooling on the kit.

Looking through Steve Ginter's book on the FJ-2 here's my take on colors. You are correct with the cockpit colors, adding to that, the instrument panel is black. The wheel bays are probably more like US interior green as well as the interior of the speed brakes. Interior of the landing gear doors, North American had a tendency to paint the interior of the gear doors insignia red on their aircraft so I would lean towards insignia red myself as well. The inner surface of the LE slats were natural metal, no paint.

• Like 1