Italeri Fiat BR20 "Cicogna"

Shelliecool

Now I am a novice airbrusher, I have experimented on various bits and airbrushed the grey underside of the stork, but so far I have not sprayed a full kit. I've learnt that to be a good airbrush artist you first need to master the paint mix, become a mixologist if you like😉, and this is something I'm not too good at. So this afternoon I carefully mixed My Revell Fern Green (my choice for a top coat), 50/50 with Revell thinner and a drop of flow improver, and had a practice on my trusty Chinnook shell. All seemed to look ok, so I started on the Fiat, carefully spraying light coats, moving away from the model and blowing clean air through the brush, and going back to her with the paint. Now like I say I'm a novice, but tonight I will be having a celebratory bottle of beer, as she looks OK (I am nick naming her the Hulk at the mo as she is so green!). I'm leaving her to dry now with a smile on my face.

DSC_3263

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 3

I have to admit the thought of camo gives me the jitters, and although I have previously build Airfix Nakajima Kate, with camo markings, brush painting them is a hard and unforgiving task. I find with the brush they look very forced and blunt. So you would think airbrushing the camo would make me more at ease, however being a novice it still filled me with dread. 

Screenshot_20171120-204413.png

I had a look online at the appearance of real storks, and decided to have a practice on my trusty Chinnook. Again I mixed the Revell dark green with Revell thinner and flow improver, this time mixing it slightly thinner, and gave my practice piece a blast.

DSC_3270

When I was happy with my test spots, I began on the real thing. Slowly attempting a panel at a time, using the instructions as a guide. To my surprise I managed to do it, and now have a camo Fiat! 

DSC_3271

She is now drying for the night, tomorrow I may add a slightly different shade, but for tonight I am a happy mixologist 😉. Night all.

• Like 3

Having airbrushed the camo on last night, I decided she needed a contrasting colour to bring out the camo some more. On closer Google inspection I discovered BR-20's often had a brown or olive colour added to the camo. So delving into my paint horde I found a pot of Revell olive brown, mixed it with a little extra thinner and flow improver and set to work.

DSC_3274

DSC_3275

I am pleased with the results, and am loving my airbrush!

• Like 2

So last night I began the task of applying the decals, as usual, with the help of micro set and sol it was all plain sailing. That was until I realised the white strip at the rear of the fuselage wasn't a decal!!!!!! Disaster!!! So I applied all I could then left her to dry. Today I have masked her up using Tamiya tape and freezer bags ready to airbrush the white.....fingers crossed! 

DSC_2622

• Like 3

Last night I fixed all the little details into place, antenna etc and tonight began weathering. I plan to use weathering powder after her final coat of matt varnish, so tonight I gave her a dirty brown pin wash over the panel lines, and worked on oil/smoke and dirt stains on the underside and on top of the wings. Finally I sealed this is using Windsor and Newton matt varnish (I prefer a matt finish on my builds). I'm now leaving her to dry, tomorrow I will brush some powders on her and add the aerial wire. Very nearly done.

DSC_2634

DSC_2635DSC_2636

• Like 1

Entering the final stages of the build tonight, I have weathered the aircraft some more using Humbrol weathering powders. Brushing blacks, browns and rust over the undercarriage, from the exhausts and in some of the panel lines. I then attached the aerial wire, using ultra fine fishing line coated in permanent marker. I am going to leave this to dry overnight. She's now finished, tomorrow I will attach her to the stand.

DSC_2639

• Like 4

Tonight I have been working on the stand supplied with the kit. As there are no instructions as towered where to fix the stand, I carefully detected the point of balance (with the helping hands of my other half) and began drilling. I was dreading this and thought it would be a disaster, it was however really easy, and with the help of my craft knife I soon had a small rectangle cut out. I then applied the decal tother stand using micro set.

2017-12-01_09-59-25

Then using superglue I fixed the strut that holds the aircraft in place and Hey presto she is finished!  I have to say thanks to this aircraft I have found a love of airbrushing, and I am really happy with the result. I hope I have done such a beautiful aircraft justice.

2017-12-01_09-58-28

2017-12-01_09-54-18

2017-12-01_09-55-27

2017-12-01_09-56-16

2017-12-01_09-56-37

2017-12-01_09-57-40

2017-12-01_09-59-52

I will post more pictures in the gallery. Thanks for following my build. 

• Like 8

• 3 years later...