Something French and Sporty

Just finished this after a great deal of work: it's Starter's 1/43 Bussi Racing Rondeau M382 from the 1985 Le Mans 24 Hours. Driven by Jean-Claude Justice, Bruno Sotty and Patrick Oudet, it qualified 34th and finished 18th. This car, chassis #003, competed in five Le Mans 24 Hours, from 1982 through to 1986.

The kit is probably the oldest Starter kit I've made, dating from 1983 and with revised decals to depict the 1985 car. It took a lot of time to get its pebbly surface and wobbly panel lines looking vaguely OK and I'm happy with the result, even though it's still a bit scrappy in places. Seatbelts and headlamps are aftermarket, with crash-moulded headlamp covers (kit items were like ricepaper) and side windows from clear acetate (ditto). Radiators from Meri. Surprisingly for a 30+ year-old kit, the decals didn't crack and so they are all as-supplied and not at all yellowed.

5a

And a couple of photos to show how it was when I got it (from eB8y, dead cheap);

1a

Typical '80s resin: lots of bubbles and flash!

And not much in the way of instructions either. But I used to like that aspect: meant you had to plan ahead and do a bit of research!

And this is what it looked like after I thought I had straightened-out the bodywork!!! Panel lines were soon filled and then the hard work really began. Thank heaven for Mr Surfacer:

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

...except that I just noticed that I have put the mirrors in the wrong holes (though there doesn't seem to be a purpose for the holes that they are in). Doh!!!

I didn't notice! So if you don't tell anyone, I won't....!! :D

K

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lowbrow said:

Nicely done! 43rd has come a long way since the 80s, that one was clearly a handful. Where the tires rock hard little donuts and, if so, how'd you deal with them?

They were OK in fact: I guess this one was stored somewhere decent because the decals should have been rock hard too. 

• Like 1

Fantastic result, considering it's resin I would have thought it would have had a little more finesse.

Now that you pointed out the mirrors, not so sure that a driver could use those mirrors in the forward position anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Now that you pointed out the mirrors, not so sure that a driver could use those mirrors in the forward position anyway.

I thought so too when putting them on but I recall thinking the same thing about mirrors on other Group C cars (full-size ones that is), so wasn't surprised. Take a look at Peugeot 905 (they're in the doors) or most Porsche 956/962s (OK they are on the outside of the doors, but almost impossible to see the one on the LH side from the driver's seat). Anyway, I will be taking them off today and may post an update photo if I don't manage to pull a load of paint/decals off!

Yep, they look better there!

But, & I hesitate to ask this,  should they maybe be swapped side to side? It looks like they should face outwards rather than in to me,  I think a car coming up from behind in the dark with full beam on would blind the driver with them angled in that way? And he wouldn't get much of a view behind either?

Keith

I think they're about right. Can't find a good shot, but this one seems to work. Plus if you think about it, though annoying to be dazzled at night, the mirrors are there so you can see who's behind you (unless you're in the lead :)):

rondeau-m382.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's most important to see who's behind you when you are in the lead - so you can block them.....!! :D

Looking again, & at the real car shot, I guess they're angled like that to look under & through the rear spoiler, rather than round the sides of it? 

Whatever, I still think it's a lovely little model!

Keith

• Like 1

Very nice work, especially bearing in mind the sow’s ear you started with. 

A technique question for you....what did you use to attach your headlight covers? They look excellent.

Cheers

Tania

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F1xena said:

Very nice work, especially bearing in mind the sow’s ear you started with. 

A technique question for you....what did you use to attach your headlight covers? They look excellent.

Cheers

Tania

Many thanks. I always use Microscale Kristal Kleer (which I doubt is still available but I have a good stock), which is basically PVA wood glue (which is widely available). It's water soluble so any mess is easy to clean up. I paint it round the whole of the mating face with a paintbrush and it usually flows into the headlamp recess to form an even coverage. Blobs will dry as blobs, so a continuous run of PVA/KK is the key. Best of all, it's white when you put it on, so easy to see what you're doing unless it's on a white car. It dries clear and if you are in any doubt about its consistency you can thin it with water: I usually thin it with 25% H2O. I've been using it since the 1980s and it doesn't yellow or lose its adhesive qualities.  

Great looking build,as everyone says with such a kit that needed so much work,must say I became interested in the side mirrors,funny when you build something and post it,it's then you see your mistakes if you have any,and really do like the clear windows a work of excellence Cheers

• Like 1