USMC Recce pair (and their mate!)

Fantastic detailing so far, I've got a Mortar Carrier that I started several years ago, that has sat untouched and unloved for quite some time. 

I was having a trawl through the stash to see what could be next up and coincidentally came across you thread at approximately the same time.  Taking this as a sign I pulled the box out to remind myself of  how far is got, and on opening the box I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was also an unstarted TUA kit in there too, although the TOW kit seems to be short of a vehicle commanders cupola, I've messaged Italeri the other day to see if I could get hold of a spare but have had no response as yet so may have to resort to scratch building one.

I had started making alterations to the Mortar Carrier to improve the internal detail and will be gratuitously pinching ideas from you.

Consider this thread bookmarked. 

• Like 1

Very nice progress so far.  Those air bottles must have been a lot of work!

I have a Technical Manual for the Turret, so when you're ready for too much detail, let me know.

Semper Fi,

Arrin

• Like 2

More progress on the interiors......

26904463_1833045393373218_72885247616239

The stowage cage in the Mortar carrier has now got it`s mesh doors on, these are hinged at the bottom and from what I could see from the images on the web hook onto the door hinge above..................so that's what I did!

26907926_1833045470039877_88191946910498

Crew heater in place and rudder hydraulics run over the top of the rear doors........................

27072446_1833045626706528_63708801392192

Stowage stops in place on the -25, just straps to go now...............

26993681_1833045540039870_17229556856769

Despite my best efforts you cant really tell that the top right hand mesh guard is doubled up.............

26991694_1833045690039855_20965197467950

Fire extinguisher pulls fitted over the drivers head........ 

26907019_1833045736706517_27752036119997

I made up three lengths of rod rounded at one end and fitted with a flange at 90 degrees, this is where they'll go in each vehicle, they are the exhaust for the crew heater..................

26991595_1833045786706512_60364293504665

And here is one of the mesh guards bent up............ I`ll trim them to length and angle the top to meet the roof then fit them on a plasticard flange.

27067689_1833045850039839_51091393631349

I had enough mesh sitting around to bend up a step between the floor of the Mortar carrier and the back door, weather this is a field mod or not I don't know, however it is evident in several images and I kinda like it.............so I did it!

Ta for lookin` no "G"

Granto

• Like 4

Hi Granto,

I just noticed that some of the links to your photos don't seem to be working.

Your builds are really are coming on a treat and the your WIP photos have been a big help with my builds, incidentally, my twins have become quadruplets, along with the original Italeri TUA and Mortar Carrier, I also had a Trumpeter LAV-C2 and this week a brand new Italeri LAV-25 turned up.

The age and relatively soft detail of the Italeri kits compared to the comparatively new Trumpeter kits is readily apparent, I'm tempted to start a build thread of my own.

Cheers

Ant

18 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Hi Granto,

I just noticed that some of the links to your photos don't seem to be working.

Your builds are really are coming on a treat and the your WIP photos have been a big help with my builds, incidentally, my twins have become quadruplets, along with the original Italeri TUA and Mortar Carrier, I also had a Trumpeter LAV-C2 and this week a brand new Italeri LAV-25 turned up.

The age and relatively soft detail of the Italeri kits compared to the comparatively new Trumpeter kits is readily apparent, I'm tempted to start a build thread of my own.

Cheers

Ant

Yeah, I noticed that too, it`s the URL expiring, I`ve just signed up to Imgur this weekend and intend to transfer all the images there and then replace the images on the WIP, so bear with me and I`ll get around to it over the next couple of days!

Granto

• 3 months later...

Hi Granto,

Any progress with this one, I've been somewhat distracted by a couple of Land Rovers that have parked themselves on my work space, but hope to get back to the LAV's soon.

Happy modelling

Ant

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:51 PM, AntPhillips said:

Hi Granto,

Any progress with this one, I've been somewhat distracted by a couple of Land Rovers that have parked themselves on my work space, but hope to get back to the LAV's soon.

Happy modelling

Ant

Unfortunately not........................life got in the way, I model in my shed, this winter I was forced out by the weather, it was too cold to spray paint or even sit there for long without the heater burning amps like they were going out of fashion, so I got a pile of books from Amazon and read through the first three months of the year, added to the stash to the tune of about eight kits, all inspired by the reading..........then had to get ready for the re-enactment season, something I always leave to the last minute despite looking at a pile of kit and tents and guns and swords and hats for months on end, and then I was diagnosed with high blood pressure which means diet and exercise which I decided was preferable to to medication but eats into a lot of spare time, but who knows, I might find some time to search for the elusive modeling mojo in the coming weeks!

Granto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Hope you get life sorted and find those little buggers Jo & Mo

I look forward to seeing your projects moving forward

Kev

What he said

Roger

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 12:51 PM, Valenstitch said:

Unfortunately not........................life got in the way, I model in my shed, this winter I was forced out by the weather, it was too cold to spray paint or even sit there for long without the heater burning amps like they were going out of fashion, so I got a pile of books from Amazon and read through the first three months of the year, added to the stash to the tune of about eight kits, all inspired by the reading..........then had to get ready for the re-enactment season, something I always leave to the last minute despite looking at a pile of kit and tents and guns and swords and hats for months on end, and then I was diagnosed with high blood pressure which means diet and exercise which I decided was preferable to to medication but eats into a lot of spare time, but who knows, I might find some time to search for the elusive modeling mojo in the coming weeks!

Granto

I guess thats why I have so many started but unfinished projects on the go, the mojo goes into hiding part way through a build and I get distracted by something else.

Welcome to the hypertension club, it's surprising how many of us are in it, I know what you mean about finding time to exercise, I work an 11 hour day including time spent behind the wheel commuting, its very difficult to find time in the evenings especially as my almost 8 year old daughter insists on her Dad doing bedtime, the lighter evenings do help now that Summer is almost upon us,

Hope you find the mojo soon.

Happy modelling

Ant

• Like 1