Jawa Sand Crawler (resin 1/96 Randy Cooper kit)

just managed to get this picture to work - this photo shows where the kit resin deformitiesĀ turned bitch on me - you can see how the roof didn't line up and how warped the side panels were - I was too scared to try using a heat gun as the resin is so thick, I thought the whole thing might melt it I accidently overheated the surface are too much in any one area.

Ā 

hence, the wooden top frame I created which sorted the matter out

Ā 

DSCF7400

Ā 

• Like 4

On ā€Ž23ā€Ž/ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 12:43 PM, Paul J said:

That looks mahoosive!!! Ā What are the dimensions? Ā Love seeing this, It brings a smile ...

It's big Paul....BIG ! 1/96 scale at about 1ft high and around 2.5ft long...... BIG !

Ā 

just like the professor (benny Hill) from the original Italian Job... I Like 'em BIG !!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

OOTEENI !

Ā 

A bit more work completed now the kit is taking on shape.

Ā 

where I left off after completing attaching the front section and having got the Sandcrawler straight and overcome all the bends

Ā 

snip1

Ā 

I've decided to scratch build the below control deck window frame pieces as the supplied parts are quite damaged and not a uniform thickness

Ā 

DSCF7455

Ā 

I have done a bit of scratch work to the faces of the 4 external tread cover plates - its all add-lib stuff but it will make this area a bit more interesting rather than leave them with such low relief - the piece in the top right is what the basic kit part looks like before all the pipework was added

Ā 

DSCF7454

Ā 

According to the pictures of ILM's studio crawler, there should be 12 of these shaped parts on the rook of the crawler. Randy supplies 4 with his kit however mine arrived with only 3 and one of them was broken, so I set about making up my own

Ā 

DSCF7451

Ā 

test fit of one of the treads on one of the bogies - the track facia plates attach where the sanded faces are - the treads themselves still need individual clean up in-between each link of the treads using a bandsaw.

Ā 

DSCF7450

Ā 

forward roof motor section now attached

Ā 

DSCF7449

Ā 

DSCF7447

Ā 

white and brass / copper parts are all the added ad-lib bits - back end plates now added along with some L and T shaped plasti-strips to tidy up the 7mm resin plates long edge ends

Ā 

DSCF7448

Ā 

DSCF7453

Ā 

the scooter battery in place on a purpose built 3mm plywood shelf

Ā 

DSCF7444

Ā 

Ā 

thanks for crawling along

Ā 

John

• Like 8

Amazing stuff John!

The scratch pipework is really effective, adding to that 'steampunk' look of the thing.

I made a comment earlier at the beginning of this thread, having no idea how big thisĀ crawler was going to be. I can see now that 'paper tubes soaked in CA' would be useless as internal supports!:lol::lol:

Ā 

One question.... how are you actually going to 'manhandle' this thing when it's all assembled? A crane andĀ lifting lugs? Forklift truck?

Ā 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

That's where his friends come to the fore, if you have followed his build on the Imperial Star Destroyer and also saw it on display at Telford it took two of us to transport it from the car to the Club Display. The specially designed and also made box by Gimme Shelter was so large it took up most of the boot, with the rear seats down , of the MG ZR that we used to transport it. Leaving very little room for John and our suitcases. Also the journey took longer than planned as there was no way that iĀ  the driver of said vehicle was prepared to risk excessive braking, so that any risk of damaging the model was kept to a minimum. Never been so glad to get to the end of a journey in my life, the relief was immense when the box was opened to check for damage and there was none. Ā Ā 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ā€Ž09ā€Ž/ā€Ž12ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 6:13 PM, Beefy said:

That's where his friends come to the fore, if you have followed his build on the Imperial Star Destroyer and also saw it on display at Telford it took two of us to transport it from the car to the Club Display. The specially designed and also made box by Gimme Shelter was so large it took up most of the boot, with the rear seats down , of the MG ZR that we used to transport it. Leaving very little room for John and our suitcases. Also the journey took longer than planned as there was no way that iĀ  the driver of said vehicle was prepared to risk excessive braking, so that any risk of damaging the model was kept to a minimum. Never been so glad to get to the end of a journey in my life, the relief was immense when the box was opened to check for damage and there was none. Ā Ā 

cant ever stop being grateful for your help here Paul - next year we shall either have to rent a van or buy a 2nd hand Hearse !!!

On ā€Ž09ā€Ž/ā€Ž12ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 7:17 AM, Badder said:

Amazing stuff John!

The scratch pipework is really effective, adding to that 'steampunk' look of the thing.

I made a comment earlier at the beginning of this thread, having no idea how big thisĀ crawler was going to be. I can see now that 'paper tubes soaked in CA' would be useless as internal supports!:lol::lol:

Ā 

One question.... how are you actually going to 'manhandle' this thing when it's all assembled? A crane andĀ lifting lugs? Forklift truck?

Ā 

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder

thanks for the words here - Beefy summarised it all - large purpose built crate for the ISD and I shall probably make the same for the crawlerĀ - it will have a diorama base and backdrop relief board which I hope to crate up as one single display with the crawler included - it will be big but I'm hoping it will all fit into my Fiat 500 with the seats down

Ā 

If not - its back to Beefy and his MG, a rented van or other

Ā 

cheers - john

Hi Gimme Shelter,

Love the idea of a second hand hearse. Nicely pimped up, resprayed red with our club logo on the sides and bonnet . A warning sign of If you can read this sign you are too close. BACK OFF! Models on board.Ā 

Or a second hand ambulance, that comes with a lift on the back, even easier to load and off load.Ā 

Bogies (not tracks) are all on now and I have rebuilt the control tower window pillars using Evergreen 143, 146 and 147 strips. Tedious slow fun.

Ā 

Bogies with upright supporting nails in them to act as locating pins and to add some extra strength to the assembly process, through and up into the floor of the crawler.Ā 

Ā 

24275386037_80ac165b60_b.jpgDSCF7483 by John Leah, on Flickr

lower bulbs all masked out - rear 2 bogies now attached

25268603008_b9300a498f_b.jpgDSCF7482 by John Leah, on Flickr

25268600218_a182f8c065_b.jpgDSCF7484 by John Leah, on Flickr

38425452954_1bc415318e_b.jpgDSCF7456 by John Leah, on Flickr

38425447444_28194d9b84_b.jpgDSCF7458 by John Leah, on Flickr

27357626149_f60eb58ef7_b.jpgDSCF7459 by John Leah, on Flickr

24275427997_b0c268f189_b.jpgDSCF7460 by John Leah, on Flickr

39104178152_8874418c81_b.jpgDSCF7462 by John Leah, on Flickr

27357620759_6f5cffbbb8_b.jpgDSCF7463 by John Leah, on Flickr

27357618239_6633d78fd7_b.jpgDSCF7465 by John Leah, on Flickr

39104169472_4647de6ed6_b.jpgDSCF7466 by John Leah, on Flickr

27357615849_2a164c2148_b.jpgDSCF7467 by John Leah, on Flickr

27357612139_04c6d04b3d_b.jpgDSCF7470 by John Leah, on Flickr

24275402857_98f3284e9b_b.jpgDSCF7471 by John Leah, on Flickr

27357610519_9c6b6f9cb1_b.jpgDSCF7472 by John Leah, on Flickr

24275383327_69f8b7039b_b.jpgDSCF7485 by John Leah, on Flickr

25268596058_2946fa0976_b.jpgDSCF7486 by John Leah, on Flickr

24275378997_5ee107b70e_b.jpgDSCF7487 by John Leah, on Flickr

25268593158_5f6e936450_b.jpgDSCF7488 by John Leah, on Flickr

24275377227_71a7539b43_b.jpgDSCF7489 by John Leah, on Flickr

Ā 

I am hoping that if the weather holds up and we have a dry weekend, that I can start work on the base brown shades using rattle-cans and then focus spare time over the Christmas break back inside my workshop undertaking the more detailed weathering work in the warmth of my cave.

Ā 

thanks for crawling along - John

• Like 9

Blimey, this isĀ amazing.Ā I would be terrified to go anywhere near a model like this. Really enjoying the build so far and will absolutely be keeping up with your progress. I also love all the weird stuff around your workbench, 'oh this, yeah it's just myĀ basket of sharks and shark accessories'. :DĀ 

• Thanks 1

Just amazing. Ā i'd die for one of these and a Star Destroyer butĀ I just cant risk how bad a kt I'd recieve. Im waiting on the first retooled SD to see if i'll bite but I suspect it will still be warped and a bugger to build.

14 minutes ago, iMart said:

Just amazing. Ā i'd die for one of these and a Star Destroyer butĀ I just cant risk how bad a kt I'd recieve. Im waiting on the first retooled SD to see if i'll bite but I suspect it will still be warped and a bugger to build.

hi iMart

Ā 

Randys new Star Destroyer can be ordered - I paid for my back order last week - I was around 3rd on his list and had to cough up around Ā£700 for his new kit (that included P&P into the UK) - UK Customs have not had their share of me cash yet either so it better be worth it - he's got no excuses for poor warped poured resinĀ this time round...

Ā 

Ā