Jawa Sand Crawler (resin 1/96 Randy Cooper kit)

With too much decent new telly to watch so far this year, my workshop and Sandcrawler both got neglected until mid January when I finally got the inspiration to chance the wind and rain between my back door and workshop - finally my mojo hath returned and I have ventured all 20 feet out to my workshop and the warmth of my oil filled radiator in it.

With a base prime of grey down, I have now added a black and light brown prime for some base colours which have had chipping and masking mediums spotted on to them prior to the overall dark brown airbrushed top coat.

There is a simple reason I never go near military modelling - I can't weather models. However, this kit demands it so the process and stages I am undergoing are a very big new adventure for me. I have a MIG technique's guide book which should help too.

Masking the control deck from the inside took 2 hours - it was very fiddly and this picture highlights how much tidying up is needed around the upright window pillars

DSCF7493

DSCF7495

DSCF7499

primed bogie track cover plates

DSCF7500

DSCF7501

VALLEJO Model Colour Light sky Grey brushed on as a base colour for the metallic scratched and flaky areas - I assume this is the right way to work (lowest colour on first)

DSCF7503

DSCF7504

HUMBROL Masking Fluid being dabbled on hereon the black, light sky grey and light brown areas

DSCF7505

DSCF7506

DSCF7507

next stages: airbrushing the first base coat of the overall dark brown prior to adding the washes and pixels

• Like 10

Are glad this is up and running again, I can not get over how massive it looks on the bench top.

As for the weathering it all sounds like your on the right path, only thing I might add is that the masking fluid might be a bit blobby, i mean it wont have any sharp angles to it and in this scale I might expect to see rust or paint flakes all jagged and sharp, just my thoughts so no need to pay any attention to them.

23 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Are glad this is up and running again, I can not get over how massive it looks on the bench top.

As for the weathering it all sounds like your on the right path, only thing I might add is that the masking fluid might be a bit blobby, i mean it wont have any sharp angles to it and in this scale I might expect to see rust or paint flakes all jagged and sharp, just my thoughts so no need to pay any attention to them.

cheers there Rockpop - thinking about it, you are right. I have some mediums that can be used for raised surface texturing which I think I shall add at a later time and blend in with whichever colour be needed. Luckily, I have a yellow / ochre shade that perfectly matches the Halfords light brown primer, so I wont end up with colour blend indifferences if I need to add the lower colours to an upper surface texture. I have done some investigations into using Vallejo chipping mediums later on in the process; this looks like break up paint and leave a nice gnarled and snagged paint effect - testing and time will tell

bye for now - John

• Like 1

Thank goodness I had 3 bottles of Alcad II RAF Dark Brown on the shelf - all 3 bottles were used up in 2 overall coats on top of the Halfords base brown primer

DSCF7510

DSCF7511

first of the upper shades being added - Alcad II Raf Dark Brown

DSCF7512

DSCF7513

just waiting for the postman to deliver fresh stock of some more Alcad II shades, cleaner and some weathering agents

• Like 10

1 hour ago, rockpopandchips said:

lots of paint going it to this, I hope your using a good sized air brush or this must be taking you ages. Is there going to be any red added to paint scheme? 

That was certainly something I had to consider first once the rattle primer tins were finished with. I had 4 Iwata HP-CS on the job as I needed to work fast and Alcad II tends to need a complete flush out after the reservoir gets refilled more than 4 times on a row - so I got all 4 ready and set up and simply went from one to the next and then to next and so on until the job got completed using 3 bottles and about 16 reservoirs refills across all 4 Iwata's.

I am working from Lorne's Sculpting a Galaxy book which has an A3 sized colour profile photo of the crawler - hoping to best re-create that - lets see - as I have said, I have not dabbled with this type of paint and weathering before...

thanks for following

• Like 2

How much paint???? Bloody hell!! Great work, Sir! 

I love the work I'm seeing on here as I've always had a passion for sci-fi, but haven't built anything in that genre since the first x-wing and tie-fighters in the 70's by whoever(I can't remember who it was), when I was but a wee kid! Anyone who might know me from my car modelling will know that I HATE plastic and would replace every kit part with scratch-made from metal, so kits are out of the question. While I love building historic race-cars, where everything has to be so perfect and precise, this is the perfect place to use-up all my tubs of "greeblies" ( yes, car modellers have  them, too and try and create something of interest. I don't think the project will be a known subject, it will definitely be something that "grows" from my childhood fantasies and twisted mind, so, who knows?:wicked::mental: It will be all-metal, too!!

I have a couple of on-going projects, so it may be a while til I start anything, but, I'm watching and learning, so be assured, when I do, you guys will be the first to know! Any thoughts, input, advice and help would be most appreciated.

Cheers, H

another small update from the Tatooine outer rim desert

so here is a photo of the original ILM model that was smartened up for the special edition revised release of A New Hope, courtesy or Lorne Peterson's book ' Sculpting A Galaxy' - mine is still a good journey's worth of work away from this but it gives you an idea of where I am headed.....

DSCF7522

starting adding some of the grime layers below

DSCF7514

DSCF7514

masking out some of the darker panel blocks

DSCF7516

lighter shades start being added to the bogie plates below

DSCF7517

and more panel masking

DSCF7518

DSCF7519

DSCF7520

Die Wanna Wanga !

• Like 9

Its a roof top Drama !!

DSCF7523

its really starting to crawl along now - I've started to figure out how to do this weathering stuff now albeit to no pro standard - these pictures take you up to where I am now - I hope to start adding some orange browns tonight and then perhaps the pixels and pigments later this week.

the darker panels going down

DSCF7524

outside bogie cover panel - the top lip needed to be trimmed off as non of these cover plates sat in the correct location to the drive wheels when dry fitted - the plates sat too low leaving the axle plate covers looking offset from the centres of the front and back top drive mechanism wheels

DSCF7525

DSCF7528

DSCF7529

DSCF7530

DSCF7526

DSCF7527

bogie plate covers now being glued and pinned on - tracks dry fitted to set and position these plates correctly

DSCF7531

DSCF7531

the Humbrol Maskol being rubbed back to reveal lower shades and colours

DSCF7533

Those blast points are too accurate for sand people

DSCF7533

DSCF7536

DSCF7537

DSCF7538

DSCF7539

DSCF7540

DSCF7541

DSCF7542

DSCF7543

sooner or later I am going to have to start cleaning up inbetween each track tooth of these 8 resin parts - this photo does not show how much flash needs to be cleared away - I am hoping to follow Randy Coopers online YouTube tutorial and use my bandsaw which should take the job down to around 20 minutes per tread

DSCF7544

Thanks for crawling along with my build once again

"These look like the Jawas that sold us R2 and threepio"

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

After a few dirty nights in the workshop with the Flory washes, I am now nearing completion of the crawler and have even strayed to the treads and have started tidying them up in between applying the Flory washes.

DSCF7546

DSCF7547

adding some small light shades around the bulbs so they are not visible

DSCF7548

R2 sucked up the Pipe - a few minor touches being added, not forgetting to add R2's decal sheet later on either

DSCF7549

DSCF7550

DSCF7552

DSCF7554

I've also added some Jawas to the various entrances and added the internal ladders - pictures of these to follow another day though

• Like 9

some dusty little desert rats and their bounty being prepared for the final diorama... "OOTINIE"

DSCF7589 DSCF7578DSCF7571DSCF7570DSCF7569DSCF7559DSCF7575DSCF7582DSCF7581

and now those bitch resin treads ......

DSCF7560 DSCF7584DSCF7585DSCF7597

Yep - that really is Helen's washing line below - re-directed into my workshop under the cover of darkness last night...

DSCF7598

• Like 7
  • Haha 1