Jawa Sand Crawler (resin 1/96 Randy Cooper kit)

18 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

try these 2 little gems from Randy - you'll feel you know what I mean after watching these

Well I ready dont know what to think of Mr Copper, he has an unique way of promoting his kits and what you can do if you don`t like them. :lalala:

Looks like you have a few more hours of fun still to go, good luck.

• Haha 1

So, Saturday and Sunday turned out to be very dusty days of trimming and sanding (not helped by the wind and drizzle) - that belt sander was worth every penny I paid and has very quickly brought me to a position whereby I can actually start assembling the thing. Boiler suit, goggles and face mask kept me safe from the mess - although I did notice the end terrace house next door now has a lovely yellow film of dust stuck to it where the wind and rain carried off my waste.

DSCF7301

DSCF7309

Not a single tread tooth broke off in the trimming process

DSCF7317

DSCF7319

DSCF7320

entrance doorway (will be inverted)

DSCF7302

I had to drill out 10mm of resin so the corridor insert could be installed - the picture below shows how the moulding is supplied if you refer to the right side which has not been drilled out

DSCF7304

entrance corridor inserted as dry assembly

DSCF7305

OOTEENEEE !

DSCF7308

some of the nicely sanded and tidied up resin pieces

DSCF7316

flight deck ceiling dry assembly

DSCF7321

flight deck dry assembly

DSCF7322

flight deck drilled out for fibre optics

DSCF7325

a bit of scratch building added for LED lighting assembly

DSCF7325

DSCF7329

The little brown desert rats added to test for scale - well done Micro machines, I knew there would one day be a use for them....

DSCF7331

DSCF7333

the top and back end

DSCF7310

the base - from which, the kit is assembled upwards and outwards from

DSCF7311

the sub frame plating

DSCF7306

DSCF7312

and finally, the big tumble dryer engines sanded smooth and ready to install to the back-end housing plate

DSCF7335

thanks for crawling along with the build

• Like 10

I spent an hour or so fiddling around with my Pegasus Hobbies Shark diorama and have only ended up working on the crawler for a few hours this week - but its time for the sticky expoxy stuff as I'm ready to assemble

The base marked up and drilled out for the underside down-lighting

DSCF7336

20171027_112247 (002)

Having trashed the bathroom while dipping in hot water, I have the side walls clamped flat

DSCF7337

The chute - the sucking thing that sucked up R2-D2 - custom made with some clear 10mm Perspex rod I had spare

DSCF7338

yet again, those cheap clamps from Gibraltar Tools Ltd have once again saved the day

DSCF7339

DSCF7340

Luckily, its the weekend soon and I hope to get sticking more of this kit together

Thanks for crawling along with the build

• Like 10

A trip to Halfords for some primer set me way on the way this weekend

DSCF7347

Fine Moulds X wing kit has a spare R2 unit - perfect (OOTINI !)

DSCF7344

the room up front and up top - painted as much as I felt needed given the likely lack of internal visibility

DSCF7341

Fibre to the controls and walls. The fibre end tips (i.e. the end that will glow, has been heat sealed with a hot knife to keep the fibre snug in the aperture of the dial hole.

DSCF7342

DSCF7343

Bulb and soldering test

DSCF7348

DSCF7349

DSCF7351

none of the fibre cables have had red, yellow, orange and white bulbs attached to them yet however the rear blue bulbs seem to be adding a nice backlit effect early on in the doorway - a film of frosted diffuser material is added behind the doorway

DSCF7356

Tumble dryer engines ground down and ready to assemble onto the rear end - Gorilla grip epoxy resin used

DSCF7357

DSCF7359

DSCF7358

Thanks for following - John

• Like 9

A touch of add-lib pipework added using lead wire and copper tubing - I'm not sure I will keep the upright exhaust, but for the moment I'm liking it as the back end of the crawler is missing a lot of suspended and supported pipework that could not be cast in single resin mouldings.

The outside track tread cover plates - piping attachment points drilled out and lead wire trips of 40mm inserted

DSCF7362

DSCF7363

DSCF7364

DSCF7370

The backend - various thicknesses of copper tube added

DSCF7361

DSCF7360

a coating of primer added now

DSCF7367

DSCF7368

DSCF7369

Onto the top now - the roof plate also includes mechanical exposed parts - the 0.5mm holes that have been drilled out are for fibre optic lines to add light into the recessed panels once inserted behind the roof panel

DSCF7365

DSCF7366

Thanks for crawling along once again here.

John

• Like 6

21 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

The brass pipe work is fantastic, its a shame to cover it in paint.

its Ok rockpop - Super Mario will be back to polish up the plumbing once it has its top coat, the copper needed priming as it was greasy and fogged from the superglue vapours

• Like 1

I spent a good few hours in the workshop over the weekend - and have made some good progress although most of the time was spent lighting and wiring or waiting for the epoxy resin to dry / resin to reshape after heat treatments etc

side panels drilled and screwed in for added bond

DSCF7371

glued and clamped - screws added at rear lower lip to mount the rear section onto

DSCF7372

The rooftop engine housing - lead pipe added for some extra effects - holes drilled for extra fibre optic lighting

DSCF7373

some of the internal doorway and corridor lighting work - blue LED and amber bulb fed fibre optics added

DSCF7374

DSCF7376

Fibre optics added to the roof engine housing area

DSCF7377

The rear end with final pipework and kit parts installed, and 2 x amber LED bulbs installed on extraction fan heads

DSCF7379

A classic example of why working in 7mm thick resin panels has its draw-backs - this crater was unavoidable - Randy Cooper identifies it in his instructions expecting the modeller to use filler. I have other ideas and had already invested in some plastic strip to add as a rim over the whole length of the top rim

DSCF7380

upper exhaust port LED lighting and doorway / servicing panel fibre optics

DSCF7381

DSCF7382

2 x yellow LEDs installed in the entrance corridor

DSCF7383

DSCF7384

LED holders fitted for the underside down lighting. All the outside edges will have Amber LEDs, while the inner mountings will have yellow LEDs

DSCF7385

Fibre optics and LEDs now installed to the mid panel corridor channels 

DSCF7387

Clamping in 3 strips of 2 x 1 timber to each side panel to help keep these side walls from any further bending or shape distortion

DSCF7388

forward lower entrance doorway inserts glued and LEDs fitted

DSCF7389

The Headlamps - Amber on the Right side (outside bulb), yellow on the left side (inside) - same on both sides

DSCF7391

DSCF7392

The timber strengthening strips in place after 10 hours of drying

DSCF7393

boiling water and clamping the rood panel flat

DSCF7394

The above picture shows the fitting strips on the inside panels that will house the wall spars

that's all folks - John

• Like 8

WOW, really coming along nicely. I can't wait to see this all lit up. I'm just gutted I can't actually walk through it. With the timber supports and all the wiring in addition to the huge pieces of resin, how much do you expect this will all weigh in the end?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James B said:

WOW, really coming along nicely. I can't wait to see this all lit up. I'm just gutted I can't actually walk through it. With the timber supports and all the wiring in addition to the huge pieces of resin, how much do you expect this will all weigh in the end?

Cheers for the words - it'll weigh about a Stone all in - I just hope the treads all hold up under the weight - I may have to hide a central support 

• Like 1

Amazing!!!! But sorry! too much resin for me. I would have never gotten it, if I knew it would be this much hassle to clean up. No offense to Mr, Cooper, who is one is a legend in the Sci-Fi film industry, but it is too much work to clean, before starting to build the actual thing. On top of that, I am an asthmatic. The dust alone would kill me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Manbola took me out for a few days last week and I have only now managed to catch up with my camera's memory card for an update 

Despite the lengths I went to heat and treat the twists in the resin plates, this 7mm thick resin really wants to keep on returning to its original twisted form from whence I stored it through the summer - so, I have taken the bull by the horns and made wooden braces to hold this thing straight and correctly profiled - and its cost me loads of extra work and time, but who cares.. its all for fun after all.

upper frame template

DSCF7415

lower chassis lighting installed - upper frame wooden strengthener now attached

DSCF7416

DSCF7418

chassis side plates clamped on

DSCF7419

inside the crawler

DSCF7420

flight deck glued and clamped in

DSCF7421

more timber used to aid in retaining the contours and correct angles - turned out it also made a good battery support spar later on

DSCF7422

first fibre optic instrument and LED test on the control tower - looks OK, but there's nothing I can do now to change it if it hadn't

DSCF7425

DSCF7426

under the bonnet

DSCF7427

The Lid - I've cut the roof piece into 2. The forward section needed to be glued in place to keep the shape straight but this section made an ideal lid which needed some scratch build work to produce a light tight lip with locating pins

DSCF7428

DSCF7429

DSCF7430

entrance corridor section now glued in place underneath the crawler

DSCF7431

More Mario plumbing add-lib work

DSCF7436

This stuff is great for holding carpets together and dunking in liquid fibreglass, but also worked great to help hold the front section in place when attached

DSCF7437

DSCF7438

DSCF7439

so this is where those wooden frames turned out trump - no twists

DSCF7440

DSCF7441

DSCF7442

sorry ILM but I've started to stray away from where you left off a tad here - this external plumbing detail is addictive...

DSCF7443

That's all for now - thanks for crawling along once again here.

John

• Like 6