Jawa Sand Crawler (resin 1/96 Randy Cooper kit)

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. With Randy's resin Star Destroyer completed, I've got to work on his 1/96 scale Jawa Sand Crawler. Its a bit twisted and warped, and there is a lot of flash as excess resin to trim off before assembly starts, but it looks to be like a really good kit and with much fun ahead for me - its a shame the UK weather is not so forgiving now as I would have preferred to have undertaken all the sanding and band-saw work outside if possible to reduce the dust factor. What an iconic vehicle this is..

One word springs to mind..... OOODEENIE  !

20171012_144604 (002)

DSCF7260

DSCF7259

20170803_163550 (002)

Its so big, it make the Lego model look small

DSCF7231

• Like 16

It is Excellent 👍 followed the star destroyer build so i will again. If you have a paint booth with an exhaust fan sand the resin in there. If not try sanding the resin wet it works. Judging on the size a tray would work best. Just keep wetting the resin in a tray and the particles turn into a slurry. Sand for a little while dunk the piece in a tray repeat. You shouldnt have any dust? Afterwards you can strain it through a large filter. if you dont wish to dump the slurry in the environment.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added
  • Like 1

Never one to shy away from a challenge are you, if this is any where close to the being as good as your Star Destroyer and Millennium Falcon this is going to be spectacular. Good luck with the build

The Force will be with you. Always .

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It is Excellent 👍 followed the star destroyer build so i will again. If you have a paint booth with an exhaust fan sand the resin in there. If not try sanding the resin wet it works. Judging on the size a tray would work best. Just keep wetting the resin in a tray and the particles turn into a slurry. Sand for a little while dunk the piece in a tray repeat. You shouldnt have any dust? Afterwards you can strain it through a large filter. if you dont wish to dump the slurry in the environment.

thanks for the sanding advice - I will certainly follow your advice there. I admit now to buying a new belt sander and upright band-saw especially for this kit - Randy Cooper has some tutorial videos out on YouTube that demonstrates how to make the tread tidy up a less painful process using these tools to reduce time quite considerably; even so, there is a lot of work ahead of me but I am feeling very excited about the project and cant wait to get on with it. I've already had indoor female management clearance to start steaming bits in the bath and I have some large flat sheets of timber and clamps to set them against while drying and reforming shape.

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, R0ver said:

Amazing! Is this kit readily available to buy?

Hi Rover

Yep - its $550 USD - from the link below

http://randycoopermodelsdesign.squarespace.com/new-page/

It takes a month for Randy to cast and ship over to the UK, probably shorter for in-country US orders- allow for around £65 import duty for the UK

Bye - John L

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Rover

Yep - its $550 USD - from the link below

http://randycoopermodelsdesign.squarespace.com/new-page/

It takes a month for Randy to cast and ship over to the UK, probably shorter for in-country US orders- allow for around £65 import duty for the UK

Bye - John L

Nice! Thanks for the info. 

You'll be eating a lot of popcorn Dermo245 ! cleaning up the tread covers took me 3.5 hours last night, and the mess blocked my cordless workshop hoover up... grrr. These still need to have the rears sanded to a uniform thickness and then heat treated and flattened. Some pieces were badly cast and needed a lot of cleaning up and drilling out

DSCF7288

DSCF7286

DSCF7285

DSCF7287

• Like 10

3 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Looks like you've got a fair amount of work ahead of you, but the end result will be well worth it.

Andy:cat:

cheers Andy - yep many, many hours I reckon - but it will be worth it in the end - this little family of smelly glowing yellow eyed, brown wrapped up fun arrived in the post today - OODEENEE !

Jawa1

• Like 6

13 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Is it just me but after splashing out on one of these kits I wouldn't expect the resin parts to need that amount of work? Or is normal on this size resin kit? One thing is for sure your going make the best of it and the little Jawa look very cool.

Hi Rockpop

I'm going to be careful about what I say here, however its well documented online elsewhere (and something I was very aware of before buying either of his kits) that Randy's quality control is not quite what you would expect and is well known by the builders of his kits to be of a "Randy" standard as opposed to what you might expect given the price of the kit. Randy builds his models in an environment which is tooled and setup to engineer film props, prototype casts etc and he only produces kits on the assumption that the kit builder has the skills that he himself posses or as close to, and whom can overcome the problems associated with bad castings etc.

He has some good YouTube tutorials out there, but having watched them you will quickly get an idea of his personality and attitude - you buy it and if you then cant build it - tuff luck coz he can and he designed it to his own personal assembly skills and with access to various tools that are needed (hence me buying a band-saw and belt sander)

I'm no engineer and by no means a great modeller, but luckily I have a modelling environment and tools that gave me what was needed to overcome all the numerous imperfections and bad casting issues I encountered with his star destroyer and was not put off - and if I am honest, encouraged me to have a second crack at one of Randy's kits, hence the arrival of the Sand Crawler.

• Like 4

I guess that makes some kind of sense and were else can you get these kits from. I know very little about working with resin and Im amazed at the amount and level of work you put into the ISD and now face with the sand crawler, I suppose I`m a part time hobby modeler that just needs a quick fix to keep me happy and couldn't face the time needed to build one of these, maybe when the kids are a lot lot older. Hats of to you for taking on the sand crawler after the ISD, it looks like a hideous amount of work to me.  Randy sounds like an interesting character, I might look him up on youtube.

Good luck with the build I will be following with interest. 

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, rockpopandchips said:

I guess that makes some kind of sense and were else can you get these kits from. I know very little about working with resin and Im amazed at the amount and level of work you put into the ISD and now face with the sand crawler, I suppose I`m a part time hobby modeler that just needs a quick fix to keep me happy and couldn't face the time needed to build one of these, maybe when the kids are a lot lot older. Hats of to you for taking on the sand crawler after the ISD, it looks like a hideous amount of work to me.  Randy sounds like an interesting character, I might look him up on youtube.

Good luck with the build I will be following with interest. 

hi RockPoP

try these 2 little gems from Randy - you'll feel you know what I mean after watching these

and a few more hours tidying up the crawler bogies

centre pieces - only the end will be visible on completed kit

DSCF7289

DSCF7290

DSCF7292

The control deck cabin and ceiling - the floor was only half present on the moulding so I am in the process of picking it out and adding a false floor low enough to accommodate my standing Jawa figures

DSCF7293

The main engines - looks very Harrier to me

DSCF7296

a few of the internal and external pieces as they are supplied

DSCF7299

easy fix for the broken ladder

DSCF7300

thanks for following the Cralwer

• Like 5