PK-82 T-34, Finished!

modelling minion

Couldn't resist the lure of this GB any longer!

I used to build lots of Matchbox armour (and aircraft) kits in my youth and I used to like how easily they went together and the fact that they were good subjects and seemed accurate too, at least they did at the time! This is the only Matchbox kit I have in the stash so it didn't take long to choose what to build! Anyway, time for the usual box and sprue shots. I always liked the dramatic pictures on the Matchbox boxes and used to draw my own (terrible) versions of them as a kid.

36949437824_328c414819_o_d.jpg

The wonderfully coloured plastic.

37402199400_5e620bc19c_o_d.jpg

I can assure you that the blue is every bit as hard on the eye in real life as it is in the picture! Tracks look like they will be fun too.

And the instructions and massive decal sheet.

37660576121_1c0b907c1c_o_d.jpg

I will build it mostly OOTB but will leave off the anti-aircraft machine gun on the turret as I don't think they were carried on this model of T-34, I believe it's meant to be a 1942 model. i will look for an interesting scheme for it, either a winter scheme or a green and brown one, I am open to suggestions.

Won't be starting for a couple of days as I have a Dornier Do-17 to complete first for the Radial Engines Rock GB.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 11

Great choice Craig - but as you said not that you had too many to choose from! 

You just got to love that bright blue plastic - what a hoot.

I know nothing about armour, so can't comment for anything on the accuracy stakes however I also believe that overall 'most' Matchbox kits seem to have accurate outlines.

Thick transparencies and those deep panel lines were their major downfall, but you could never fault them for subject choice, Roy Huxley's superb artwork and lets not forget that coloured plastic.

Yet another kit build that I will look on with keen interest - good luck.

Cheers.. Dave.        

• Like 1

Right then, time to make a start!

With the Dornier finally finished (pictures up tomorrow for those of you who have been watching) I have made a start on the T-34 today and with the weather being very British today (raining a lot) and with having a day off I have actually completed all of the work on the T-34 I can prior to some paint going on so here's a shot of all the pieces together;

23945964788_5286ca5814_o_d.jpg

And closer shots of the separate components starting with the upper hull and turret, the turret isn't fixed in place;

37128698593_55f18cd9ac_o_d.jpg

The lower hull;

37128702053_49fe976e61_o_d.jpg

And some of the wheels, in that very fetching blue plastic;

23945977838_43b8acecaa_o_d.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some much needed black paint on to act as a primer and for shading, the sooner that blue is covered up the better!

Thanks for looking in guys and for all the interest, glad that this one is bringing back some good memories for some of you.

Craig.

• Like 10

These Armour kits look as if they take shape very quickly and would appear to be a great Mojo reviver to any modeller ftom any modelling genre. I’m liking what I’m seeing. 

It’ll be a shame to cover up those blue wheels, however at least you’ve captured these pictorially for future prosperities sake!! 

Cheers and it appears they’ll be another tank in the gallery not before long - c’mon you other aircraft modellers, time to crack on a bit.... Dave 

• Like 2

"I see a white tank and I want it painted black".

I'm sure that's what Mick Jagger was singing, or at least it would have been if he had built a Matchbox T-34, so that is exactly what I have done.

37785519112_2acb2f0df7_o_d.jpg

All the bits painted black and much easier on the eye, and here's one of the main parts loosely assembled;

37107196414_4e8f45a635_o_d.jpg

Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to get some green on at least.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 9

Well it took me longer than I thought but I have made some progress.

I applied a coat of over all green using Vallejo's Russian Green (seemed appropriate) with some places been given more of a green look than others, anyway here a some pictures of  how she looked in the over all green.

37152229934_c911da6fdc_o_d.jpg

37152235464_c36e5a4a3e_o_d.jpg

37830558512_5049195d1e_o_d.jpg

Now as you can probably tell from what I said above it hasn't stayed in the green. I went looking on the internet for some inspirational colour schemes and was very nearly going to paint her with a disruptive red/brown scheme but then I came across this;

37604543570_79b89d93ba_o_d.jpg

Who wouldn't like that scheme! So of I went to the airbrush again and after some masking and then some more painting with the hairy stick I have come up with this;

37152250704_ac70df352b_o_d.jpg

37813295346_df4127715b_o_d.jpg

37604530770_a597eb0dee_o_d.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy focusing but hopefully you get the idea. It's not exactly the same as the one in the photo, more inspired by it and I will do some more weathering on her yet but I hope that you all like how she looks at the minute.

That's it for today and  thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 12

Well the T-34 has been slowly trundling on, as T-34's do, and is very near completion. In fact the work on the tank itself is pretty much done and has involved fitting the tracks (horrible things which makes me wonder how I  ever managed to finish any when I was younger) which has involved using superglue to get them to conform the some kind of shape resembling how T-34 tracks actually look. The tracks have been painted and weathered as best as is possible by me and some snow added to them for added effect, here are some pictures of the tank itself as she currently looks;

24162778508_11119d954f_o_d.jpg

24162790808_3cf441e442_o_d.jpg

37305398534_25903eddeb_o_d.jpg

24162823128_7f02fedb4d_o_d.jpg

The turret isn't fixed in place yet as I cannot decide which way I want it to face, perhaps when she is fixed to her base it will help me to decide. And speaking of the base no Matchbox vehicle would be complete without it's included diorama base and I have been doing some work to it too and here are some pictures of how the base looks at the minute;

37983630912_be952568d5_o_d.jpg

24162827888_972a166cfe_o_d.jpg

37983640072_0017d416b8_o_d.jpg

Well that's how things stand at the minute, very near to completion and hopefully I will get the whole thing finished in a day or two.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent work Craig.:clap:

The tank and the base look very convincing.

Cheers Greg 

Thanks Greg, much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cracking job on both tank and base Craig. I honestly don’t know how you armour guys do it!  - so realistic... 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, but I'm not an armour guy (as such) this is my first tank in over 10 years, but I don't think it will be my last!

35 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Dave, but I'm not an armour guy (as such) this is my first tank in over 10 years, but I don't think it will be my last!

You’re multi-talented modelling skills must obviously cross all facets of this great hobby -  very impressive.. I’ll look forward to viewing all your future builds. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You’re multi-talented modelling skills must obviously cross all facets of this great hobby -  very impressive.. I’ll look forward to viewing all your future builds. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, but I'm more semi-skilled than multi-talented.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...