PK-23 Hawker Tempest Mk.VI (F.6) ** FINISHED **

Rabbit Leader

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks brilliant Dave, nicely done.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - I normally hate cockpits and the intention was never to go this far. I'm glad I can now move on the the fun stuff.

16 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Great build Dave !

Not only that, it's also a great insipiration for all those modellers who have a Matchbox Tempest in their stash

Thanks Giorgio - Canopy aside, this Tempest is quite an accurate kit and the original Matchbox plastic is a dream to work with IMO.   

11 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Definetly more detailed than mine Dave! Hope you have better luck with the underbody seam.

So far so good I think.

I still need to clean this area up, however I do not invisage having too many dramas. Perhaps my strange way of assembly may have payed off (pure luck of course as this was never planned this way!).    

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That cockpit looks fantastic, so much better than the original kit offering.

Thanks MM - It helps having a donor kit, although I normally model with a fairly tight budget - hence I've never used PE. 

6 hours ago, Arniec said:

Great work on the cockpit. Love the detail you have done to make it look ace.:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Thanks Arniec - still a fair bit of work to go before this kit is over the line, however (like most Matchbox kits) it's been a fun build so far.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update #8 - Construction complete (well almost)

It's been a while since I last updated this WIP, however it's been slow and steady with a few annoying moments in between.

Basically, the fuselage with pre-attached wings were married together with CA and left to harden. I also run a fairly messy bead of this stuff along the join lines as it acts as a great filler.

Once this was all filed back, I cemented a thick strip of plastic card to the rear of the cockpit opening as this section is flat. This was later sanded to the correct contour, whilst the headrest and seat will be mounted later. Lost panel lines that had disappeared during construction were rescribed as well as new lines added around the nose area. I did mess up a few areas, however this will all be put to the test once the first coat of primer is laid (no doubt I will need to re-fill and re-scribe!) The under fuselage filter was glued in place and to be honest is not quite located in the right spot and is a little on the small side - it'll just have to do though. 

Anyway - with a bit of luck, this kit will get it's first coat of grey primer tomorrow (Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1000), so it's good bye to that lovely multi-coloured Matchbox plastic. 

Cheers.. Dave 

38517637841_05113da540_b.jpg

37630416075_ff95db7a7a_b.jpg

38485356952_9d007ce0db_b.jpg

38485390372_9638ac63f3_b.jpg

37801679564_504f4b1ed4_b.jpg

38461339976_79ba1a23e9_b.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Looks absolutely pristine. Is it one of those glue in bushes for the prop shaft - will it spin!

The prop is a combination of Matchbox, Heller and some internal bits made out of plastic card. 

It's a little on the wobbly side, however has been designed to spin - if it actually does so after painting is still a big unknown? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Update #9 - Prime, sand, rescribe & reprime. 

It was time to prime this kit and start the paint phase. I tend to get bogged down after the initial construction, so I'm hoping that being part of a GB and displaying this WIP will encourage me to keep motoring along.

Priming is one of those modeling applications that, once laid will either show that you've done a great job or more often than not bring you back to good old mother earth quick smart.

I applied the initial coat of Gunze Mr.Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr. Color Levelling thinner and was somewhat a little disappointed. I believe that the two coloured Matchbox plastic has a sneaky way of hiding flaws and this was more than evident after the kit was one uniform colour. The re-scribed lines are also a tad on the wobbly side for my liking, so some areas had to be refilled, sanded and rescribed. The under nose radiator flap was scribed and refilled three times and I'm still not overall happy with it!

Anyway, here she is all primed and ready for the top coat - its no Airfix CAD test piece but it's gonna have to do otherwise I'll never finish it.   

I've also included a few shots of what it looked like in between priming coats just to show that it's not all high polished and fancy looking plastic!

At one stage I was toying with the idea of painting this Tempest in the post-war Silver scheme, however I think a nice camouflage pattern might help hide a few of the many blemishes. 

Cheers.. Dave   

24706567868_abc48e1cea_b.jpg

38578478891_cffb848c5b_b.jpg

38519981686_263ffffdfc_b.jpg

24704816608_8bc16eb0a1_b.jpg

• Like 13

Update #10 - Painting begins! 

Finally managed to get back to the workbench and apply some paint to this Tempest. 

Thanks to Chris Thomas' recent Osprey Combat Aircraft title - "Tempest Squadrons of the RAF", I finally committed to a colour scheme of my liking and believe I can make up the decals from my large box of spares. The chosen subject is Tempest F.6 NX170/K which served with No.249 Squadron, Deversoir Egypt, October 1949.

By this time many Desert Tempest's were sporting the new Post War 'Desert' camouflage of Dark Earth, Light Sea Grey (Grey/Green) and Medium Sea Grey lower surfaces. Other publications list the upper grey as Light Slate Grey, which is what I had and used, however it does not appear to be as "Olive" as Chris' profiles which I rate highly. I also chose a relatively hard edge camouflage demarcation, which after studying the small amount of photos that seem to exist for this scheme had a slightly simplified camo pattern in comparison to the usual Tempest design. I've therefore tried to be as accurate as possible, however am not sure with it all just yet. I'll paint the undersides tomorrow, however need to fix a slight issue in this region first. So here are some progress pics.

Cheers.. Dave

Mr. Paint MRP-116 RAF Light Slate Grey 

38722145271_9213325ed8_b.jpg

Tamiya Tape marking out the simplified camouflage pattern 

38016308384_463eda384b_b.jpg

Gunze Mr.Color C369 RAF Dark Earth 

37854300675_732a4c3f79_b.jpg

Masking removed

37854336165_2384e4e7a0_b.jpg

24868567338_298cdcb426_b.jpg

• Like 13

Really enjoyed catching up with this one Dave,.....you`ve done an excellent job on the old girl so far.

If you are going for the post war desert scheme as applied in Egypt after the tussle with Israeli Spitfires,....it is Dark Earth and Light Slate Grey uppers with MSG undersides.

Here is one that I did over 18 yrs ago,...just for reference;

Tempest 6-2

Good luck mate and I`ll delete the pic if you like,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

If you are going for the post war desert scheme as applied in Egypt after the tussle with Israeli Spitfires,....it is Dark Earth and Light Slate Grey uppers with MSG undersides.

Here is one that I did over 18 yrs ago,...just for reference;

Good luck mate and I`ll delete the pic if you like,

Cheers

Tony

Appreciate the comments Tony, and please leave your photo as attached - for it's a great build, you hardly see these Tempests shown and it also confirms my colours somewhat.

You'll also be happy to know that (once again) thanks to your inspiring posts, I've ordered a sealed Matchbox Halifax online prior to going to bed last night. 

We all know it has it's faults, however finding these and making attempts to correct them is just one of the many interesting points to this hobby. It also helps one understand the subject matter just that little bit better. So I'll bookmark your Halibag post, although I know it wont make this current GB - will there be a Matchbox III GB for 2019/20 perhaps ??

Cheers... Dave    

• Like 3