PK-23 Hawker Tempest Mk.VI (F.6) ** FINISHED **

Rabbit Leader

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm so liking the look of that Dave, really nice & what a great idea for a MB II GB in a year or two. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Thanks Steve, should the Matchbox uphoria kick in once again in a few years, I’ll certainly be happy to host. Do you wanna join me? ... and what’s happening with your entry for this GB?..  there’s only about nine/ten weeks to go. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

It's been making some progress, I've even taken some photos, but my posting mojo is running weak just now, I'll try to get some up in a few days. I'm really just plagiarising what you're doing but not as well. :D

Steve.

• 2 months later...

Belated Update #11!!  

Well, it's only been the best part of two months since I updated this little Tempest, however I have punched out a Matchbox Hunter T.7 in-between so I suppose that's not bad. I won't bore you with too much text this time round, however will just let the photo's do much of the talking.

The subject Tempest F.6 chosen is NX170/K from 249 Squadron, circa late 1949. 249 had a habit of decorating their Tempests with Red and White Prop Spinners and U/C doors and I thought these along with the 'D' type roundels and Desert scheme would look rather tasty. So here are some progress pics and the late charge to get this one home and in the gallery by GB close date.

Cheers.. Dave

37871875915_998bcd1fca_b.jpg

37890832295_a06a22755f_b.jpg

39175681944_ce3f3f1f4f_b.jpg

40085619741_15acab55cd_b.jpg

39374298394_b4813839f2_b.jpg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Dave, excellent paint job and showing off the re-scribing to perfection. No weathering, please! Delighted to see this getting finished.

Mike.

You're lucky Mike... weathering is probably my worst modelling 'ability' at the moment.

I'll run a thin oil pin wash through to highlight the panel lines and will have to add a trace of exhaust staining - photographs show that this is most prevalent on Desert Tempests.

This particular Tempest had a MU repaint (from Silver / NMF to Desert Scheme) around July 1949, so I should be OK to replicate a fairly clean finish if modelling this aircraft around this time period. 

Cheers and thanks for all the positive feedback... Dave  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update #12 - Finish !!!!

I have to admit, it was a little bit of a struggle getting this one over the line, however it's done so I'm wrapped with that. 

I really should have made up some rocket rails and hung a few 60 pounders underneath, however with my enthusiasm waning and this GB end date looming, I'll call this one done.

Since the last update, the Tempest received a few coats of Clear (my equivalent is "Pledge with Future Shine") and a pin wash of homebrew Winsor & Netwon oils.

A very light dose of oil wash streaking was attempted, however these never seem to come out with the photos I take. It's probably too subtle, however less is more they say?      

Although the Heller undercarriage looks very smart, there are no locating holes for the gear legs to marry the main u/c doors. It's all a little bit of guesswork and I failed to align these correctly. Once again - it'll just have to do. Anyway, here are some completed photos and I'll post a few in the gallery as well to put an end to what has been a great Britmodeller Group Build.    

Big thanks to @Arniec, @Enzo Matrix & @vppelt68 for putting on such a splendid show. I now have two completed Matchbox kits that in all probability would have never been started, let alone completed. 

I must also thank the many fellow GB members (too many to mention however you know who you are) for all the fantastic encouragement and feedback to get these kits done. It really goes a long way and I love the way we all motivate each other and probably get a little carried away at times. 

Finally, it's been a pleasure to keep the Matchbox II GB list alive and current. Once it's all over I'll do a recount to double check my figures, however I never thought this would end up so large and filled with excellent renditions of Matchbox models. As I am a product of the 70's, Matchbox really was my first true love in both Di-cast cars and Plastic kits. Yes, they take some work to get right but they are very rewarding and rekindle the good old days minus all those 'cheating' products like PE and Resin bits!!  

So here's the Tempest F.6 as flown by 249 Squadron based at Deversoir, Egypt around Aug-Sep 1949. She is shown not long after being repainted into the new 'Desert colours' of Dark Earth, Light Slate/Sea Grey, and Medium Sea Grey lower surfaces. 

Cheers (and thanks).. Dave    

40330714231_ea45499f2e_b.jpg

40285344962_776cc75a82_b.jpg

40330670161_c6c7d1d13c_b.jpg

39433153215_496b969e77_b.jpg

40285372962_48784b2953_b.jpg

26458966848_e4a2e4fe3c_b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Rabbit Leader nice job. After all it doesn't look like old good Matchbox kit. I don't know if it sounds like complement to you but  it looks like Hasaegawa kit .   I'm impressed. This is a very smart cleanest  build i saw in last few months. You pushed  this old kit to the highest level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic result Dave, and well worth the wait.

Many thanks for all your extra work and enthusiasm in the GB as a whole, which made it all the more enjoyable.

See you at the Airfix GB .....

Cheers, Greg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,firstly many thank's for this fine GB  and your constant enthusiasm,what a blast it has been I can't believe how quick time has flown since October.

Now secondly  that Tempest is simply outstanding,if you posted it and claimed it was a sneak preview of a new tool Airfix release you'd have folk's blowing a fuse 

it really is that good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave, absolutely outstanding modelling and a fantastic result on the Tempest. As you said, you brought to fruition something that had been put aside as possibly too difficult - inspiration for me for my next build...Well done and thanks for sharing all your techniques along the way. Hope you enjoy a well earned (and short) break. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 7:04 PM, Franz75 said:

Wow, Rabbit Leader nice job. After all it doesn't look like old good Matchbox kit. I don't know if it sounds like complement to you but  it looks like Hasegawa kit .   I'm impressed. This is a very smart cleanest  build i saw in last few months. You pushed  this old kit to the highest level. 

... Like Hasegawa - wow, that's some compliment Franz, much appreciated.

It was a lot of work to get there, so hopefully this build will pave the way for a new tool, well fitting, easy assembling 1/72 Tempest to hit the modelling shelves soon.  

We all deserve it! 

On 18/02/2018 at 7:50 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Fantastic result Dave, and well worth the wait.

Many thanks for all your extra work and enthusiasm in the GB as a whole, which made it all the more enjoyable.

See you at the Airfix GB .....

Cheers, Greg 

Thanks Greg, it was a pleasure to take part and I'm really looking forward to all the cutting, sanding and rescribing (surely not!) that will take place in the Airfix GB. I'm starting to get ideas already!! 

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Dave,firstly many thank's for this fine GB  and your constant enthusiasm,what a blast it has been I can't believe how quick time has flown since October.

Now secondly  that Tempest is simply outstanding,if you posted it and claimed it was a sneak preview of a new tool Airfix release you'd have folk's blowing a fuse 

it really is that good!

.... sneak preview of a New Tool Airfix Kit - again Steve, these words are way too kind, but hopefully those nice lads at Airfix will take note and see how popular a 1/72 Tempest kit can (will) be! 

13 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Dave, absolutely outstanding modelling and a fantastic result on the Tempest. As you said, you brought to fruition something that had been put aside as possibly too difficult - inspiration for me for my next build...Well done and thanks for sharing all your techniques along the way. Hope you enjoy a well earned (and short) break. All the best. Mike.

Thanks again Mike.. it will be a short break from this type of modelling, however the building juices are ripe and flowing just now. I'd best tackle one of the many new tool kits I've got in the ever expanding stash.  

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

Looks absolutely birlliant Dave, well done! One thing, I'd "dust" her up a bit more. The VIs over there were quite dulled down being affected by sand and dust.

BTW I hope the plans in the end were useful.

Smithy... the Tempest plans were used throughout this build and were only ever an arms distance away - thanks once again.

If anything, these plans confirmed how accurate in outline (save the canopy) that this Matchbox kit is. I was truly surprised how well the pieces matched quite perfectly.

However, its a shame that this kit is overburdened with deep trench lines as it would be a great model to build by the bucket load.

Now when it comes to weathering - trust me, I know my modelling limitations and weathering is certainly up there! I agree that she's a bit too clean for this desert climate, however I decided to keep this to a minimum. I've wrecked too many models striving for that extra level of realism that in the end looked nothing like it!

Cheers and thanks to all... Dave       

• Like 4

Wow Dave,....... what a wonderful job you have done on this one,......... perfectly built and in my favourite Tempest scheme too,....which you have got off to a tee,.....even done it in 249 Sqn markings,.....one of my favourite units,....... just got to love this one,......superb mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Wow Dave,....... what a wonderful job you have done on this one,......... perfectly built and in my favourite Tempest scheme too,....which you have got off to a tee,.....even done it in 249 Sqn markings,.....one of my favourite units,....... just got to love this one,......superb mate!

Cheers

Tony

Many thanks Tony.. 

249's connection with the defence of Malta also holds a special place to me as well. 

Although I'm fond of many Tempest schemes, in the end the red & white flashes of colour frequently used by this squadron really set this one apart. 

Special thanks must also go to Chris Thomas who thankfully produced a wonderful profile of this aircraft in his latest Tempest publication (Osprey Combat Units #117 - Tempest Squadrons of the RAF). 

Cheers and thanks.... Dave.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

.Now when it comes to weathering - trust me, I know my modelling limitations and weathering is certainly up there! I agree that she's a bit too clean for this desert climate, however I decided to keep this to a minimum. I've wrecked to many models striving for that extra level of realism that in the end looked nothing like it!

Fair enough Dave. Either way it's easily one of the nicest Tempest builds I have ever seen. We all could see the enormous amount of work you put into it to make it accurate and it really shows with the end result. An absolute corker as they'd say back home!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hello Dave, Im collecting info on Tempest Mk.VI’s as i have a 1979 heller Mk.V im planning on converting ? I came across your build and will reference this build as i progress. Would you have any tips/advice for me on this conversion ? Do you have any close-up photo’s of the wing inlets or the sand filter that i could use ? Any help would be greatly appreciated ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

I'll send you a PM shortly, however the best start would be to obtain a set of Arthur Bentley's Tempest drawings which were kindly supplied to me when I was doing this build. I'm sure I have them somewhere so will forward them on to you should you not have a set. I'm also sure there was/is a Tempest VI conversion set to convert the Academy Mk.V (Freightdog?), so this may be a good set to try to obtain should you not have a doner Matchbox kit for these missing bits. The Radiator is quite different from the Mk.V to the Mk.VI and there are good photos within this WIP to show this. I hollowed out the incorrect Matchbox part, applied steel mesh to the back and inserted a plastic strip through the centre. Once painted and inserted, I thought it looked ok.  

I hope this helps, happy to chat about this until you get yourself sorted.

Cheers.. Dave    

• Thanks 1