Bomb trolley size ??

Mancunian airman

Hi all 

I am soon to commence a 48th scale Mosquito and I noticed in the Airfix kit that there is a 4,000Ib bomb :clap:

I would consider scratch building a trolley for this but dont have any idea of the size.

I suppose the smaller Airfix bomb trolley in their Bomber supply kit (72nd) could be scaled up BUT I dont know if its even the right type . . . .

Has anybody got the 'Flightpath ' version in 48th who could give me some dimensions: length, width and size of wheels/tyres please

in anticipation :tmi:

Ian

Measurements from mine:

frame length - 112mm

“.    Width - 24mm

width to outside of wheels - 33mm

wheel diameter - 10mm

drawbar length - 22mm

frame width is slightly varied (probably due to my poor folding skills) but 24mm is taken across the frame just in front of the rear axle.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Thank you Gordon

Just two other question, is the frame girder type with an open frame other than the supports ?

Do you have a photo of yours please  ?

Ian

11 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Hi all 

I am soon to commence a 48th scale Mosquito and I noticed in the Airfix kit that there is a 4,000Ib bomb :clap:

I would consider scratch building a trolley for this but dont have any idea of the size.

I suppose the smaller Airfix bomb trolley in their Bomber supply kit (72nd) could be scaled up BUT I dont know if its even the right type . . . .

Has anybody got the 'Flightpath ' version in 48th who could give me some dimensions: length, width and size of wheels/tyres please

in anticipation :tmi:

Ian

The real Type C  bomb trolley (That was the type used for 4000lb cookies ) was 15ft 8" long and 4ft 0" wide.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Sadly I don’t have a photo (partly because I don’t use Flickr photobucket etc) As modelled by Flightpath the rear section is an X shape open frame, the rest is a solid floor. The dimensions as I’ve made mine is 24mm length by 20mm wide open area, the cross X brace 2mm wide and starting from the solid floor which ends 24mm from the rear axle, so there is an unbraced section approx 3mm long in front of the rear axle. The last support is at the very end of the solid floor, the supports are 23mm apart. Once the Cookie is on, very little is visible apart from the X braces, supports and front tapering section.

hope that all makes sense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

The real Type C  bomb trolley (That was the type used for 4000lb cookies ) was 15ft 8" long and 4ft 0" wide.

Selwyn

So according to those dimensions Selwyn (if my maths is correct) and assuming the width is frame not across the wheel the Flightpath C Trolley scales out exactly right width wise, but is around 13mm (or 2’ too long?) 

1 hour ago, GordonM said:

So according to those dimensions Selwyn (if my maths is correct) and assuming the width is frame not across the wheel the Flightpath C Trolley scales out exactly right width wise, but is around 13mm (or 2’ too long?) 

15ft 8" long is the trolley overall length, not the length of the frame.

Selwyn

5 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

15ft 8" long is the trolley overall length, not the length of the frame.

Selwyn

So by the time the drawbar is included it’s even longer than it should be? 

Type C trolley has a wheelbase of 14ft 3 1/2ins, a wheel track of 3ft 5ins. Tyres are 18X7ins.

Type D trolley has a wheelbase of 14ft 8ins, a wheeltrack of 3ft 5ins. Tyres are 18X 7ins also. Both can carry one 4000lb bomb. I would post up the relevant AP pictures but don't seem to be able to do so. 

• Like 1

you  might have already seen these already Ian  but just in case

@Selwyn  and @Ossington  maybe able to give some details on the trolleys shown

3847848155_584cb0f07f_o.jpgLancaster Bomber by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

also of  note (from the link) there is a Manchester in the background.

3803548561_36fea8f914_o.jpgLancaster. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

4759613403_4ed9b99d65_o.jpgHalifax Mk. II by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

3603569783_eebc03d543_o.jpgMosquito mk. B IV by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

I'm putting these up as the colours maybe of use?

the DVD Night Bombers is all wartime colur and has much footage on preparing the Lancasters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightbombers-DVD-H-I-Cozens/dp/B0001GNJK6

here's a clip of servicing  but the rest is like this

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith
tidying up, corrections
  • Like 2

Many thanks for all those replies, needless to say I have a pretty good idea about the thing now. a couple of bomb trolleys should soon make an appearance B)

Just a small point, the Flightpath example appears to have a 'solid' bottom whereas all the photos show this was not the case . . .

22 hours ago, GordonM said:

Sadly I don’t have a photo (partly because I don’t use Flickr photobucket etc) As modelled by Flightpath the rear section is an X shape open frame, the rest is a solid floor. The dimensions as I’ve made mine is 24mm length by 20mm wide open area, the cross X brace 2mm wide and starting from the solid floor which ends 24mm from the rear axle, so there is an unbraced section approx 3mm long in front of the rear axle. The last support is at the very end of the solid floor, the supports are 23mm apart. Once the Cookie is on, very little is visible apart from the X braces, supports and front tapering section.

hope that all makes sense?

Your description coupled with the photos makes sense

Thank you.

Ian

3 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Some nice colour variations on those bombs and evidence that they had a lot of rough handling before they got to the aircraft.

made me look again (I  was just looking for  trolleys)

note  the part buff/part black fins here

4759613403_4ed9b99d65_o.jpg

Jari

Sadly I couldn't access that without being a member . . .

EDIT

Was able to view it the 2nd attempt.

Very useful stuff, have you got a download for the 'D' type I wonder ??

thanks again

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman

8 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Jari

Sadly I couldn't access that without being a member . . .

EDIT

Was able to view it the 2nd attempt.

Very useful stuff, have you got a download for the 'D' type I wonder ??

thanks again

Ian

I just happened across that one, haven't seen any others.

Jari