Waiting for the tanks!!

Hi all,

I originally built this model around 25 years ago and I found it in a box of bits at my mums house, thought I'd have a go at updating it and creating a small dio for it.

This is really my first go at a diorama for years so really just a bit of fun, hopefully I'll be able to improve on the next one, and improve my figure painting!!

The kit is a Dragon 1/35 Jagdtiger and the figures are Tamiya. The model was originally painted grey all over, so i've re-painted it in camo - theres some bits missing, in fact just found a few bits of spare track to go on the side.

Its probably not that accurate, not sure if an MG would have been tripod mounted on a tank, but looks the part!

Anyway, see what you think!

Cheers

Simon

Jagdtiger1.jpg

Jagdtiger5.jpg

Jagdtiger2.jpg

Jagdtiger3.jpg

Jagdtiger4.jpg

Edited by SimonR
Added a new photo
  • Like 12

Not bad that, for an antique!

My parents have an Sdkfz 223 in their attic .... which I left there back in 1987. It was the last model I made before joining BM 2yrs ago. It's still in good nick, but I could do better nowadays.

You've done a good job on the camo, bringing the Jagdtiger into the 21st Century. By that I mean it looks nice and fresh and only just built!

Nice groundwork on the dio as well.

I note the Silver Birch 'seed dividers' being used as leaves - which I always rated as being excellent. I've used them a lot in the past, and still use them now and then. I've collected the 'catkins' for the past 2 years now (mid to late summer is the best time) and now have a lifetime's supply. I store them in plastic airtight 'camera-roll containers'. Well, I say that; they are actually containers for my diabetes blood-sugar testing strips, but they are identical to the old camera-roll containers. The catkins, both seeds and seed dividers, will last forever contained like this. By collecting them myself, I can also collect the smaller catkins, and the seed dividers near the tip are smaller than those further along. These smaller 'dividers' are actually much better in respect of scale. I use them in their natural state, but will paint them green for things like ivy, creepers, tree foliage.

Your figures aren't bad btw. I've seen (and made) a lot worse!

I'd have removed the mould line around the ears and down the neck of the guy next to the one with the panzerfaust though.

So, apart from that, I think your 'first' diorama has been a great success. And with practice you'll soon be making top-notch dioramas. There are some stunning dioramas here on BM, and I myself would advise you to look at those by MartinBK. Well, he says they are 'by his friend' but whatever, they are all mini works of art with fantastic scenery and wonderful compositions! Annoyingly, he posts these dioramas in the Armour RFI section, NOT this Dioramas RFI section, but DO search for them. I'm still learning from them!

Rearguards,

Badder 

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Hi Badder,

Many thanks for your feedback, ive seen some stunning dioramas, not sure how people do it to that standard to be honest!

The little leaves actually came in a Jarvis set of camo netting, but I have seen them on our road and wondered what they were, need to go out and gather some up lol

The figures were also assembled sometime in the 90's as well, I just touched the paint up on them, see what you mean about the mould line on the neck though.

Anyway, got an unbuilt Tamiya Churchill from the 90's lined up to do next, ill have another go at a base for that one as well.

Cheers

Simon

1 hour ago, SimonR said:

Anyway, got an unbuilt Tamiya Churchill from the 90's lined up to do next, ill have another go at a base for that one as well.

Funnily enough, I have a Churchill VII waiting on the side right now. It's going to appear in my current diorama, along with a couple of other AFVs.

I look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, 

Ive mainly been building aircraft since I started modelling again and yes, the camera never lies, always picks things up you never see with the naked eye!!

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...