1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23MF "Flogger-B" & MiG-23ML "Flogger-G" & MiG-23BN "Flogger-H" by Eduard (Trumpeter plastic) - released

Homebee

Source: https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2019/info-eduard-2019-08en.pdf

(...) Maybe even moreso than the Mustang, the MiG- -23BNs in 1:48th scale will be pulling some weight. I suspect most of you will already be aware of this forthcoming kit, but if not, it is the Trumpeter kit released as one of our standard Limited Edition efforts. It will also include a publication by Martin Janousek. It is an extension of last years Bedna release, which covered the MF and ML fighters. There will be no effort in the kit to correct the shape issues that are a part of the base kit, and we didn’t do that in the Bedna kit, either. I will touch upon that in the next newsletter, but I have explained this on numerous occasions before. (...)

V.P.

• 1 month later...

Why didn’t Eduard work in a correction nose for this release if they have the technology and information available?

Price?  Maybe not since its special edition kits are already expensive on most cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsolo said:

Why didn’t Eduard work in a correction nose for this release if they have the technology and information available?

Price?  Maybe not since its special edition kits are already expensive on most cases.

...it is about price. Correction set would make it much more expensive. Moreover, Eduard strategy is "do not correct" the kit but enhance it. Corrections are business for the others. This was told by Mr.Sulc several times. 

The correction will be made by "Ciro"...smal AM copmany owned by the author of  books from Mig-21, Mig-23MF/ML and BN limited editions. According to statement on CZ forum, there will be three "levels". Basic - just new resin nose correction, Advanced - with resin interior, Supetdetailed - with electronic compartment. First two should be available on eday. New vacu canopy will be available as well (moulded by rob-taurus ... they produce one of the best vacu canopies on the market)

Note: Personally I'd avoid CWS correction set...quality of moulding is poor, one of the worst I ever saw ... the master is disaster....

Edited by Petr

Ciro Models

http://shop.ciromodels.com

"We apologize to our customers, the production of Ciro models is temporarily limited due to the transfer to the new owner. Only limited product offerings are available. Also delivery times are longer. Thank you for your understanding.

A new and richer assortment under the new Ciro models NG brand will be ready for you shortly.

A new and richer assortment under the new Ciro models NG brand will be ready for you shortly"

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Petr said:

...it is about price. Correction set would make it much more expensive. Moreover, Eduard strategy is "do not correct" the kit but enhance it. Corrections are business for the others. This was told by Mr.Sulc several times. 

The correction will be made by "Ciro"...smal AM copmany owned by the author of  books from Mig-21, Mig-23MF/ML and BN limited editions. According to statement on CZ forum, there will be three "levels". Basic - just new resin nose correction, Advanced - with resin interior, Supetdetailed - with electronic compartment. First two should be available on eday. New vacu canopy will be available as well (moulded by rob-taurus ... they produce one of the best vacu canopies on the market)

Note: Personally I'd avoid CWS correction set...quality of moulding is poor, one of the worst I ever saw ... the master is disaster....

Hi Petr

What do you mean exactly by " the Cold War Studio's master is disaster...." ? I could agree with you on the moulding quality that could indeed be better. This said I am more worried about the shape and dimension. Do you mean that the master is a disaster at that level. Would you call it a piece of crap to be avoided ?  (I am worried as I have one ...)

Thanks, 😕

4 hours ago, madcop said:

Hi Petr

What do you mean exactly by " the Cold War Studio's master is disaster...." ? I could agree with you on the moulding quality that could indeed be better. This said I am more worried about the shape and dimension. Do you mean that the master is a disaster at that level. Would you call it a piece of crap to be avoided ?  (I am worried as I have one ...)

Thanks, 😕

My point is more on quality of the master in terms of surface details and rude and "jagged" panel lines. If you want to make it comparable/consistent with the rest of the kit, you need to sand down all the details, fill the panel lines, rescribe it again and scratch all the surface detail again. Imagine the challenges to rescribe resin combined with putty. 

In terms of accuracy, CWS do not fix shape issues with canopy...

Edited by Petr

4 minutes ago, Petr said:

My point is more on quality of the master in terms of surface details and rude and "jagged" panel lines. If you want to make it comparable/consistent with the rest of the kit, you need to sand down all the details, fill the panel lines, rescribe it again and scratch all the surface detail again. Imagine the challenges to rescribe resin combined with putty. 

In terms of accuracy, CWS do not fix shape issues with canopy...

O.K. Petr, thanks for that.  I never rescribe on putty, only on CA mixed with "magic powder", and I like rescribing even if that could sound strange to most of modellers. That's fun and creative.

Happy to hear that CWS's nose shape is quite O.K. 

I have the CWS Canopy. Can you tell me what's wrong with it  shapewise ?

Many thanks. 😅

9 hours ago, madcop said:

O.K. Petr, thanks for that.  I never rescribe on putty, only on CA mixed with "magic powder", and I like rescribing even if that could sound strange to most of modellers. That's fun and creative.

Happy to hear that CWS's nose shape is quite O.K. 

I have the CWS Canopy. Can you tell me what's wrong with it  shapewise ?

Many thanks. 😅

I'm sorry but I do not know how accurate is the CWS canopy shape 😞

8 hours ago, Jordi said:

How very sad.  There is no amount of "enhancement" that can fix this hopelessly inaccurate kit.  It would require an entirely new forward fuselage and cockpit.  The MiG-23BN is my favorite Flogger variant, but one look at the contents of the box when this one came out convinced me not to buy it.  How Trumpeter got it *so* wrong is impossible to understand.  

Well, Trumpeter really messed up the nose of the MiG-23BN/27 variants much more than usual, but at least there's a correction set by CWS.

I'm still waiting for their MiG-27M correction set to become available.

Edited by Dudikoff

12 hours ago, Petr said:

I'm sorry but I do not know how accurate is the CWS canopy shape 😞

O.K. ? Thanks , but now I am a little bit ennoyed . Why did you say " CWS do not fix shape issues with canopy..." ? Is your opinion based on pictures of the product, or on an analysis of the product. If so I would be interested to read it. Is there any link to it ? 

Anyway many thanks for your answers.

Madcop. 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madcop said:

O.K. ? Thanks , but now I am a little bit ennoyed . Why did you say " CWS do not fix shape issues with canopy..." ? Is your opinion based on pictures of the product, or on an analysis of the product. If so I would be interested to read it. Is there any link to it ? 

Anyway many thanks for your answers.

Madcop. 😀

You are right...my mistake...I was sure that the canopy is not part of the set and I did not check it....Sorry for confusion.

I just remember few complains from another review. I didn't do my own research about CWS canopy acurracy simply because the nose quality is mot acceptable for me and I'd rather wait for Ciro sets which will be far better and accurate I believe (based my previous experience with CWS and Ciro products).   Poor quality of the nose is visible on pictures and was discussed on another forum as well.

Petr

Edited by Petr

I had the CWS nose correction set and sold it on with the kit, as mentioned above the only way I could see me using it would involve filling all the detail and re-scribing from scratch, and my scribing skills aren’t all that! I’ve since bought the Flogger J kit and will wait and see what Ciro come up with. 

O.K.  Petr and Muzz

I will also "wait and see" and see what CIRO is going to release, but I keep my CWS, just in case... I know CIRO for years, so let's hope for the best !

Madcop

Edited by madcop

Well, considering how awful the Eduard kit nose is out of the box, I think we're blessed by the existence of the Cold War Studio resin correction bit (whether the details on it are not so good). Building the Eduard kit out of the box is a complete joke otherwise. And judging by Ciro Models going through an ownership shift, it might as well be a quite loooooong while until you get a new set from them.

Yeh, it might...

Cheers,

Uh-huh2

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Well, considering how awful the Eduard kit nose is out of the box, I think we're blessed by the existence of the Cold War Studio resin correction bit (whether the details on it are not so good). Building the Eduard kit out of the box is a complete joke otherwise. And judging by Ciro Models going through an ownership shift, it might as well be a quite loooooong while until you get a new set from them.

Yeh, it might...

Cheers,

Uh-huh2

This is exactly what I think it would have made more sense for Eduard to provide a corrected nose.  I am sure more people would buy the kit because of that and I nobody doubts about the Eduard resin top quality.

I own Ciro Models items and they are very good quality too, but I doubt they will release a corrected nose anytime soon since their website has been petty much dead for a long time.

Time will tell, but for now I will pass on this release. I don't think this new release really offer too much for me.

jsolo

Edited by jsolo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jsolo said:

This is exactly what I think it would have make more sense for Eduard to provide a corrected nose.  I am sure more people would buy the kit because of that and I nobody doubts about the Eduard resin top quality.

I don't recall having ever seen a resin correction bit by Eduard, but anyway; I concur with you in that their resin cast is superb, hence, I wish they devised correction sets for kits which manufacturers botched the shape of "they're" kits.

2 hours ago, jsolo said:

I own Ciro Models items and they are very good quality too, but I doubt they will release a corrected nose anytime soon since their website has been petty much dead for a long time.

I learnt of Ciro Models while reading a review on the awful Trumpy 1/48 MiG-23 kits; namely, how awful the intake, windshield/canopy and lower airbrakes are. Went to their web site and was puzzled they didn't have a correction set for the nose.

Bought "they're" triple set for the MiG-23 and was astonished at how good their castings are; the vac-form windshield/canopy is exquisite.

Then again; when I stumbled with Kitty Hawk's Foxbat kit (literally, because it fell off the shelves right in front of my feet :lol:), I purchased it on a whim. Little did I know about the issues in it. That's how I learnt about Stenka and CWS. When I purchased his nose correction for the Foxbat, I asked him whether he could get rid of the casting blocks and stuff before shipping it down to Argieland, and he did. Stenka's such a top-bloke; one of my mates purchased his MiG-23BN correction set, and I was blown away at how much it enhances the awful look which is that kit out of the box - believe me, I don't like the BN version at all, so it's not that I'm into polishing anyone's knobs.

But Cold War Studio is for me the place to go whenever there's a correction set released for any given 1/48 aircraft kit.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1

In the interest of a balanced view, the Trumpeter Mig-23 MF kit is right up there as one of my favourite builds, I think it’s a cracking kit and once built it looks like a Mig-23! Same goes for their Mig-27/23BN, describing them as awful seems a bit on the extreme side!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

In the interest of a balanced view, the Trumpeter Mig-23 MF kit is right up there as one of my favourite builds, I think it’s a cracking kit and once built it looks like a Mig-23! Same goes for their Mig-27/23BN, describing them as awful seems a bit on the extreme side!

I'm half with you. I added new resin intakes, rear fuselage, nose and a vacform canopy to my MiG-23. Aside from the canopy (which is missing a frame in the kit for the Flogger-B), the improvements made by adding the aftermarket parts are hard to spot and you really need to know what you're looking for to see them:

mig23m_016.jpg

So I kind of agree with you: Trumpeter made a lot of mistakes, but the finished thing looks pretty good from the box.

The MiG-27/23BN, on the other hand, has a completely wrong geometry around the nose and canopy which is, IMO, a very glaring error. 'Awful' seems a perfectly good adjective for it to me! ;)

Jon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

In the interest of a balanced view, the Trumpeter Mig-23 MF kit is right up there as one of my favourite builds, I think it’s a cracking kit and once built it looks like a Mig-23!

Muzz, for starters; the Trumpy MiG-23 kits need a lot of aftermarkets to look as the real thing. Mind you, take a good glance at Jon's build above, and if you squint yer videos hardly, you'll see there's also the Metallic Details nose fixed to the forward fuselage. :wink: Unfortunately, there's a lot of issues in the Trumpy Floggers that won't make 'em look good if built out of the box, mainly because the key features on the Trumpy Flogger kits are awful wrong (nose, windshield/canopy, intakes).

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Same goes for their Mig-27/23BN, describing them as awful seems a bit on the extreme side!

Perhaps you should check a comparison piccy between the Trumpy MiG-27/BN with their forward fuselages out of the box and with the Cold War Studio correction set. It's like you were looking at before and after piccies of Cher prior to the cosmetic surgeries! 

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

then there always is the ESCI/ Italeri Flogers to be called awfull.... rightfully so by today's standards!

Paid loads of quid for the Kazan correction set for the ESCI Flogger back in "they're" day to end up with an awful replica of the Flogger all the same. :suicide:

Ne'er thought that many lifetimes later I'd still have to pay a load of quid to correct a new-tool kit of the Flogger. This time the end result was a lifetime better replica, tho.

6 hours ago, Masinissa said:

Uh-huh... which comes round to prove that even Eduard realised that the suckers in the Trumpy kits sucked.

Yeh, it does.

Cheers,

Unc2

Why is it that I feel like the plastic kit manufacturing industry is going backwards with each passing year, when it's supposed that making kits should be a lot more easy as it was before? New released kits are still requiring loads of resin aftermarket to look good. Why...???!!! Is it made on purpose? Methinks...

• Like 3