JU88 Dora Heinrich

First serious bit of modelling I've attempted in about forty years – so guess that makes me a newbie! My first experience of photoetch, acrylics, airbrush... you name it. So I wanted to do a subject I felt a connection to, and something that would stretch me to the max. So it's Revell's 1/32 Schnellbomber which will assume the guise of 4D+DH 'Dora Heinrich' of 1.KG30.

This Ju 88A-1 fell to the guns of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron on 16/10/39 during a Luftwaffe raid on RN ships in the Firth of Forth. 'Dora' was the first enemy bomber downed by the RAF over the British mainland in WWII, and was on the receiving end of the first ever Spitfire victory.

I was born by the Forth, and have lived half my life on its banks, my family have worked for generations on its waters and in its docks and I live just a few miles from where 'Dora' ditched almost eighty years ago. So I thought I'd make her the first half of a 1/32 'Dogfight Double'. Eventually I'll get around to tackling her nemesis – XT-A 'Stickleback' a MkI Spit of 603 Squadron.
Over a year in, having too much fun, here's some (unfinished) pit shots. Apologise for quality – taken with an iPhone4

37573417316_5a0657c0a2_o.jpg

Cockpit side walls, still needs wiring/some piping added

37573418236_c6ac793424_b.jpg

Eduard PE, Aims and homemade decals

37363399680_4acfa2ef47_o.jpg

Floor and curtains printed on inkjet

37363399210_e5845eca8d_o.jpg

36951292263_6aaf624d29_o.jpg

Pilot seat, control column and BZG2 Bombsight

37363398870_d727a27e90_o.jpg

Edited by redleader
adding to title
  • Like 27

44 minutes ago, redleader said:

Am too ;) Was trying to think of the last kit I did. Blanked

Not lost your touch though. Great work. 

• 1 year later...

Dora Heinrich redux:

Thought I could improve things a bit; clean stuff up and add more detail... so here's MkII

IMG_0856IMG_0858

RB Productions Seat Belts, Quickboost resin ammo drums (with Eduard photo etch straps) and Airscale decals

IMG_0869

IMG_0870

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Everything bar the kitchen sink. Next seats and pilot controls... don't know how I'll squeeze the crew in!

Edited by redleader
text alts
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

starboard cockpit side wall

Starboard side wall completed - heating pipes and crew gas mask case added

cockpit mid section 02

Next stage is crew and seatbelts

cockpit mid section 01

gondola01

Gondola

ip01

Instrument Panel with Eduard photo etch, Quickboost ReVi sight, and scratch wiring and gubbins

ip02

ip03

ReVi 01

Close up of ReVi

Edited by redleader
text alts
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Sure is Greg, a real Marathon (Snickers). Reckon I’ve got ten years modelling in me before my eyes and fingers give up. So I’m only doing projects that really inspire me. I’ve got eight kits in my stash - and that’s it. No more. So I figure I’d give them each all the effort I can. 

• 2 years later...

Took a wee break but we're still in the air! Working on the power plants now. Airfix prop motors will be powered by CR2025 'Coin' batteries in switched holders. Everything will be contained in the engine nacelles which will be removable, held in place by neodymium magnets .

Props in progress 02

Prop in progress 01

Power plant

Edited by redleader
incorrect battery code details
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Both engine pods now ready for final sanding/filling/re-scribing, then onto painting. Engine gauges have been added and the cowl flaps corrected with thin plastic card. Decals for the gauges were represented by scavenged bits from Aims 32D002 'JU 88 Instruments'.

I checked out the crew's seating arrangements, VERY cosy. There's more room in a Ford Mondeo! Figures are a mix of Master Details and Aerobonus. The Bordfunker needed an early-style collar to his schwimmvest, which was cast in Milliput. Heads and limbs will be issued before the commencement of operations!

IMG_1572

IMG_1575

IMG_1589

IMG_1565

IMG_1567

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Working on the underside of Dora Heinrich's wings. The ETC500s (bomb launchers) are by L'Arsenal, part number AC3201, if they're still available. There are a full complement of four in the L'Arsenal set, but I'm only using the two in-board ones. The aircraft on the Firth of Forth raid of 16/10/39 only carried two SC500s each. I guess to cut down on weight and drag over a 1,500km mission over the North Sea. The SC500 bombs are by MDC, part number CV32042.

Pre-shading

under wings pre shade

First coat of Vallejo RLM65, with darkened and lightened shades

under wings first coat

Misted top coat of straight RLM65. Weathering will be minimal as the aircraft was practically brand new at the time of the raid.

under wings top coat

Underside dry fit, might not need to glue the wings on as the fit is so good (port engine is running!)

Ju88 underside under construction

• Like 7