Panzer VI Tiger STGB Chat

Plasto

10 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

The interior was painted an off white/cream colour.

P1120972.jpg

WOW - that's impressive - I'll need to get some 'off white' or similar on order - thanks Mig - Steve

• Like 1

Before I put my Tamiya kit safely away I have one last question concerning a 'kit option' - see here...

TAMVI-010.jpg

The little chap on the left says you can choose what look to be a choice of air filters - mine is going to be autumn 1944 - minus Zimmerit - so what do the experts recommend 15 or 7...

BTW - tomorrow I shall be 'inspecting' these...

TAMVI-011.jpg

...so please brace yourselves for a few more questions on the 'wee' three kings...  I think there is a Christmas carol in there somewhere ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Hey Ben - I guess we'll find out when we actually get going - all the other bits 'look' perfect - but the 'big bits' are very different to the Tamiya frames - they seem a good 2mm longer from 'pointy bit to base' - if that makes sense...

I need to show a bit of patience really - when I actually get all the parts out they may fit a treat - we will see...

In the meantime I need to ask another question and you may well know the answer.  As we discussed 'off air' I'm looking at some open hatches on this one and the instruction call for XF2 for hatch insides - which is white...

TAMVI-009.jpg

I would have painted them in a metallic tone - but I can see the logic - these guys needed to see what they were doing inside - so I'm guessing the turrets were white inside???

I really need to google a 'walkaround' set of pictures I think...

Cheers Mate - Steve

I think interiors were an off white colour (at least in part). Not sure about the interior of hatches though as on my panzer iv build I discovered the hatches on that were dunkelgelb inside to avoid compromising the camouflage.

All the best mate

Ben

• Like 3

15 is the vent & 7 is an armoured cover the crew can put over the top of the vent for extra protection. Both were used throughout the Tiger II's production so it's up to you which one you use. 

28 minutes ago, badger said:

I think interiors were an off white colour (at least in part). Not sure about the interior of hatches though as on my panzer iv build I discovered the hatches on that were dunkelgelb inside to avoid compromising the camouflage.

All the best mate

Ben

That makes a lot of sense Ben - imagine opening a hatch that looks like a white flag - a bit 'noticeable' to say the least - still I'll have a rummage round the net for a 'walkaround' - I still like the idea of 'metal'  but I don't want to piddle anyone off...

30 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

15 is the vent & 7 is an armoured cover the crew can put over the top of the vent for extra protection. Both were used throughout the Tiger II's production so it's up to you which one you use. 

I think I'll use the one with the handle then - as it looks more 'interesting'.

Anyway - time to put this beauty away for now.  I've ordered a metal gun barrel and a metal MG for the front - I think I'll order some tracks tomorrow - exciting times... 

• Like 2

Hello Steve

The thinking has changed since Tamiya put their instructions together - hatches were usually painted the main camouflage colour.

This is the Tank Museum's (Bovingdon) Tiger I (a very early example, and NOT a king Tiger, but well researched).

The driver's (or hull machine-gunner/radio-operator's) hatch is at 52 seconds.

And part III of that video series, showing the loader's hatch at 6:39 (and possibly below, with the hull mg gunner's hatch)

• Like 2

I negotiated the hatch colour issue a while back and was told the following; hatches that are hinged so the inside is visible - exterior colour, hatches that are lift and pivot - interior colour. Note that the Commander's hatch has a circular pad on the inside. This was usually plain leather. 

The Tamiya mesh is best avoided but the Takom etch can be cut down easily enough; strong scissors or good clippers, or score and snap which is my preferred method. Use paper templates to get a good fit, glue the paper to the etch with PVA, when dry cut the etch and scrub the PVA and paper off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had planned to build a takom full interior king tiger for this group build but a new project at work will be cutting into my modeling time drastically. So...... I picked this kit up today as it might have a chance of being finished in 3 months time opposed to the full interior kit!

looking forward to this group build as it will be my first one!

8660677E-3BB6-4195-AF8B-E3DCD7369F92

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

I had planned to build a takom full interior king tiger for this group build but a new project at work will be cutting into my modeling time drastically. So...... I picked this kit up today as it might have a chance of being finished in 3 months time opposed to the full interior kit!

looking forward to this group build as it will be my first one!

8660677E-3BB6-4195-AF8B-E3DCD7369F92

Nice looking build RT,

your definitely in good company for your first Group Build.

• Like 1

On 27 April 2019 at 12:37, BIG X said:

Three weeks to go...

...the excitement mounts ;)

Thanks Steve,

wow three weeks isn't very long at all, I picked these guys today Tamyia's new set of 3 colour German paint. I probably won't use all on this build.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Mmmm - just done something silly ...

Ordered one of these ...

s-l1600.jpg

... when I already have the Zvezda kit.

Having said which (assuming it arrives in time) the Rye Fields model is a better place to start my intended build than the Zvezda

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Mmmm - just done something silly ...

Ordered one of these ...

s-l1600.jpg

... when I already have the Zvezda kit.

Having said which (assuming it arrives in time) the Rye Fields model is a better place to start my intended build than the Zvezda

Not seen one of these built Robert, looking forward to both.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not seen one of these built Robert, looking forward to both.

Neither have I seen one built - but I have read reviews.
With just three weeks between the start of this build and D-Day, I'll be lucky to compete any Tiger in the time available - but we will see

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Neither have I seen one built - but I have read reviews.
With just three weeks between the start of this build and D-Day, I'll be lucky to compete any Tiger in the time available - but we will see

My D-Day project shouldn't take to long, it will be an interesting summer flitting between to two projects.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hubba said:

Hi, can you add me to the list please, not sure what to build yet but I can't resist

Hubba,

welcome, what are you planning?

7 minutes ago, Hubba said:

I think it'll have to be a Zvezda Elefant, I fancy a bit of cammo doodling

Nice, they look fantastic kits.

On 27/04/2019 at 12:37, BIG X said:

Three weeks to go...

...the excitement mounts ;)

If it was 3 weeks to go last week, it’s definitely 2 weeks to go this week.😱 hopefully everyone has their kits or there on route? My Tigers been sat in my office for a few months now, looking forward to start.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If it was 3 weeks to go last week, it’s definitely 2 weeks to go this week.😱 hopefully everyone has their kits or there on route? My Tigers been sat in my office for a few months now, looking forward to start.

OH - 2 weeks it is...

...The excitement is overwhelming - I'm losing it - 2 WEEKS - 2 WEEKS - 2 WEEKS :lol:

• Haha 2

I'm still busy with my T92 build in the Pershing & Patton GB & I dont think I'm going to be finished anytime soon, so I'll probably have to be a later starter for this GB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm still busy with my T92 build in the Pershing & Patton GB & I dont think I'm going to be finished anytime soon, so I'll probably have to be a later starter for this GB.

No worries Mig eater, there’s plenty of time.