Panzer VI Tiger STGB Chat

Plasto

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Mmmm - just done something silly ...

Ordered one of these ...

s-l1600.jpg

... when I already have the Zvezda kit.

Having said which (assuming it arrives in time) the Rye Fields model is a better place to start my intended build than the Zvezda

Hi Robert,

There's one of these in the RFI section, and very nice it is too! The poster (I've forgotten his name) says the plastic is a bit inferior, but otherwise everything else is good, including the workable tracks and suspension. I did say that I liked the extra detailing (over Tamiya's version) : the grenade 'caps' inside the turret smoke-dischargers and the mounting points for the side skirts (none of which is visible in the box art)

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been away from model-making for a short while, needing a bit of a break before this GB starts. But I am itching for it to kick off. I have my Tamiya Tiger I (Fruhe) I have my Friulmodel ALT-25 tracks and the Eduard PE Grill set, but what I haven't found yet are a set of good figures. That's because I've changed my mind about depicting a 'Winter Tiger'.

I'm not going to say what my new plan is. I will save that for the GB itself, and will only reveal it when it's at the painting stage! Because it's a DOOZY of an idea!

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Badder said:

I've been away from model-making for a short while, needing a bit of a break before this GB starts. But I am itching for it to kick off. I have my Tamiya Tiger I (Fruhe) I have my Friulmodel ALT-25 tracks and the Eduard PE Grill set, but what I haven't found yet are a set of good figures. That's because I've changed my mind about depicting a 'Winter Tiger'.

I'm not going to say what my new plan is. I will save that for the GB itself, and will only reveal it when it's at the painting stage! Because it's a DOOZY of an idea!

Badder

Hope your well Badder,

sound a nice package of bits, I’m a little unsure of which season to depict my Tiger in too. Looking forward to see your idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Robert,

There's one of these in the RFI section, and very nice it is too! The poster (I've forgotten his name) says the plastic is a bit inferior, but otherwise everything else is good, including the workable tracks and suspension. I did say that I liked the extra detailing (over Tamiya's version) : the grenade 'caps' inside the turret smoke-dischargers and the mounting points for the side skirts (none of which is visible in the box art)

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks B,

Good to see you posting again - you are not alone in waiting for this build to start.

Yes, the Rye Field reviews are generally good, perhaps approaching Dragon at not much more than Tamiya prices?  Of course, I have yet to see my plastic, but my hopes are high.

Robert

• Like 2

For those of you who are following the chat, we have now moved to the current GB area. Let the threads begin.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Yetifan said:

Hi @Ozzy pretty sure i signed up already, but if not can i still join in......

32891566727_aa56fd5b50_b.jpg

Welcome to the GB yetifan!, just start a thread and you'll be ready to go for next weekend.

• Like 2

Hi @Yetifan - Everyone is welcome even if they haven’t signed up earlier. Just start at thread in the Tiger STGB area. Looking forward to seeing your build of this kit.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edit - @Ozzy got there first!

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is interesting: http://www.alanhamby.com/losses.shtml

It shows the Tiger's loss/kill ratio was 1715/9850, a rate of 5.74:1. It also shows that enough Tigers were knocked out, recovered and put back into action that the loss rate was 132% of production, and that's without factoring in all the tanks that survived to the end of the war :o 

Andy

Statto

• Like 1

I'm going to keep an eye on this in case I get a wild hair.  I recently started a Bergetiger for a DAK session in another group (yes I know this variant was not known to have been there), but ended up changing my mind and doing a half-track for that project now.  I'm assuming this pic below falls under the "less than 25%" caveat ("turret" is probably @ 80%, crane boom has been installed as well, but 0% progress on lower hull of yet).  I'm going to hold off on creating an actual thread for it though until I know for sure I've got the time to forge ahead with it.  Cheers.

32728558747_4db984457b_z.jpg

46733683645_989dacd988_z.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Chris. That is certainly less than 25% and I'm sure Ozzy will confirm it later. I would get a build thread started in the Tiger STGB area when you are ready.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

I'm going to keep an eye on this in case I get a wild hair.  I recently started a Bergetiger for a DAK session in another group (yes I know this variant was not known to have been there), but ended up changing my mind and doing a half-track for that project now.  I'm assuming this pic below falls under the "less than 25%" caveat ("turret" is probably @ 80%, crane boom has been installed as well, but 0% progress on lower hull of yet).  I'm going to hold off on creating an actual thread for it though until I know for sure I've got the time to forge ahead with it.  Cheers.

32728558747_4db984457b_z.jpg

46733683645_989dacd988_z.jpg

Hi Chris, as @PlaStix said welcome aboard. That’s definitely below the 25% threshold. Can’t wait to see this one come together.

• Thanks 1

Another GB arrived and no kit.I have the Northern show coming up so putting one on the shopping list.I think I'd like to see what can be done in a smaller scale

As with my other GB build's so Revell might be the kit to look out for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Another GB arrived and no kit.I have the Northern show coming up so putting one on the shopping list.I think I'd like to see what can be done in a smaller scale

As with my other GB build's so Revell might be the kit to look out for.

I’m sure you’ll find a nice bargain Steve, looking forward to your seeing your build.

• Like 2

Well, I've surprised myself with the Friuls today. I was up about 6.30am and got started using my 'my method' method which I developed when I made the winterketten for my Nashorn. Familiar with the method now, and being able to foresee and prevent possible problems later, (well, most of them any way) I was speeding along, this despite the tracks needing more cleaning than did the Nashorn's.

I forget how many hours it took me to assemble the Nashorn's tracks, but it must have been 10 hrs or more. Today, I assembled my Tiger's tracks in a total of around 4hrs start to finish. And now they've been painted and weathered as well.

I've only made one Tiger I before, but I found it extremely easy and quick. That's why I decided to go for the 'Engine hatches open and a scratch-built engine'. I felt I needed a challenge and wanted to make something MORE than OOB. That part of the build will be long, I suspect. And so will my paint scheme. So it's been great to get the tracks out of the way so early!

Good luck to all taking part, and if you want my 'my method' method explaining there's a section in my WIP 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tamiya', but feel free to ask anyway.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 6

Can anyone recommend a metal gun barrel for my  zvezda ( dragon) 35th henschel turret  King tiger

Does it need to fit my specific kit or are they one size  fits all, cheers for any pointers.... 

##Update, I've found one 

Edited by Hewy

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:59 PM, Hewy said:

Can anyone recommend a metal gun barrel for my  zvezda ( dragon) 35th henschel turret  King tiger

Does it need to fit my specific kit or are they one size  fits all, cheers for any pointers.... 

##Update, I've found one 

Hi Glynn,

I can't believe no one's jumped in to offer suggestions. There must be someone who knows. I don't, but I'd suggest typing 'Metal Gun Barrels King Tiger' into one of those search engine thingies like 'Ask Jeeves' and having a look at his replies. I seem to remember him being a bit of a smarty-pants and knowing pretty much everything.

Rearguards

Badder

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Rich it turns out this is the one I need, although I have found and ordered an alternative, thanks for posing though, its much appreciated 

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Glynn,

I can't believe no one's jumped in to offer suggestions. There must be someone who knows. I don't, but I'd suggest typing 'Metal Gun Barrels King Tiger' into one of those search engine thingies like 'Ask Jeeves' and having a look at his replies. I seem to remember him being a bit of a smarty-pants and knowing pretty much everything.

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks  badder , I did search, and typed in  king tiger henschel turret blah blah, but you get bogged down  though now days with non specific adverts and recommendations that are similar, and or early, late type,  and it confused me, it was scalemates that came to the rescue on this occasion though, even kindly adding a picture of my kit as an intended recipient, 

RB Models 88mm KwK 43/3 L/71 - Tiger II (late)

(Metal Barrel) is the one I've plumped for

• Like 2