Panzer VI Tiger STGB Chat

Plasto

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Sounds to me like you're already having fun! :thumbsup:

Years ago, I saw a similar mistake on a model.  It was a superbly detailed Airfix 1/24 Harrier.  The engine doors were open to show the Pegasus within.  Sadly, they weren't just the engine doors ahead of the wing.   The incredibly skillful builder had added some totally fictional doors over the centre section of the wing, which is actually a massive fuel tank.  You can get to see the engine that way, but you have to take the whole wing off.

Hi Enzo,

Half the fun in this hobby is deciding how to portray the vehicle, researching the vehicle itself to see how it is constructed, what your options are for 'opening' panels/hatches/doors and considering  what actually lies behind them and whether you will have to purchase an AM detailing kit, or scratch-build some interior detail, or be able to get away without it. And then, with everything planned and sorted, and if you're anything like me, to completely change  one's mind!

BTW, I really do feel for the modellers who made those mistakes we've referred to. The trolls must have had a field day. Back in the day there was no internet and detailed info on WWII vehicles was very patchy and hard to find, well, more so than cold war jets anyway, so mistakes were more common and easier to forgive. But we weren't displaying those mistakes to the entire world, and there weren't any trolls about either (except if you belonged to a modelling club and put your mistake out on a table for a few dozen people to see) So, one could say that the guy who 'errored' his Harrier or the one who errored his Tiger I should have researched things first. And of course, they should have done. But still.....

I've been researching the hell out of early Tigers; period photos and archive film footage, videos, museum and BM walk-arounds, and scale models,  and nowadays its possible to find info on the smallest detail of such vehicles. What we do with that info, is a different thing. I found a WIP on another site where I guy scratched an entire interior for a 1/35th Tiger I, down to the last electrical wire, junction box, radio knob, bilge pump handle and ammo rack rail.... and then gave up when he ruined it all at the painting stage..... ho hum!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:
5 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Sounds to me like [@Badder's]  already having fun! :thumbsup:

He's not alone

7 hours ago, Badder said:

NOT-HERE-SOON-ENOUGH STGB

Same thoughts, you are reading my mind?

If I can do it, I hope to build this one ...

I'm not sure those are photos of the same tank Robert, but there's no harm in believing that they are.

Yep, there are some interesting 'oddities' being displayed and basing your Tiger on it/them will make for an interesting build.

I love that branch poked through the muzzle brake!

BTW, If you're going to make figures, what are you going to use for the sarnies? I'd suggest two slices of paper with some red cellophane as a strawberry jam filling.

And BTBTW, I've already lost a part for my build, and it hasn't even been started yet! The part I lost is the front RH fender taken from my old Tiger I, which was going to be folded into the up position on my 'Tiger in waiting.'

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Badder said:

I'm not sure those are photos of the same tank Robert, but there's no harm in believing that they are.

You may be correct; the images are certainly credited to different photographers.

I love that branch poked through the muzzle brake!

So do I, though I suspect that was one for the camera ... but easy to replicate with a bit of seafoam.

Making, or using, figures will be an interesting challenge ...

The sarnies would be fun - but the guy making them has an Argyle sweater and an aquiline nose.  Painting and modelling those that will be an excercise and a half.

The tall, and somewhat cadaverous, officer (seen about 2/3 down this page) is wearing a Heer Panzer jacket, but his trousers look like an SS camo - and I'm not sure which eagle is on his hat.

(OT: Incidentally, I'm looking for a reliable image of Sumpftarnmuster 44 for my D-Day build - think I am going to have to print that one.)

And BTBTW, I've already lost a part for my build, and it hasn't even been started yet! The part I lost is the front RH fender taken from my old Tiger I, which was going to be folded into the up position on my 'Tiger in waiting.'

Well, my kit is from a different manufacturer, but ... I'll be removing my mud-guards and, probably, using very early ('Afrika' type) fenders - PM me if you'd like my fenders and mud guards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Well, my kit is from a different manufacturer, but ... I'll be removing my mud-guards and, probably, using very early ('Afrika' type) fenders - PM me if you'd like my fenders and mud guards.

Thanks for the offer Robert, but I think I can now use the new Tiger's fenders. (as I have to cut them off anyway) It was just a case of working out if I could cut them off 'whole' (and thereby trim off part of the front hull as well) and then be able to work out what the fenders actually rested on and 'scratch' that, repairing the chopped front hull at the same time.

Good luck with your figures - I haven't even thought about mine yet. But I imagine it's not easy to find Tiger crews and/or mechanics wearing winter uniforms.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 27/03/2019 at 08:11, BerndM said:

Hi Ozzy i am fine hope you are well too.

Yes these are both fine kits in their own way and this GB brought me back to the question how These "Afrika" Tigers were painted. 

The opinions go from gray over green to brown/dark yellow.

I’m fine thanks Bernd,

they were initial issue Tigers, they may have been grey with desert yellow overspray. As the initial Tiger was used in the Leningrad sector they may not have been allocated to a specific theatre until they get there.

• Like 1

@BerndM

Early (initial) Tigers were factory painted in German Grey for the European theatre (and subsequently the Eastern Front) and Dunkelgelb for North Africa. From early 1943 onwards, they were all factory painted in Dunkelgelb and were camouflaged 'in the field'.

Enjoy the GB WHEN it gets here!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I’m fine thanks Bernd,

they were initial issue Tigers, they may have been grey with desert yellow overspray. As the initial Tiger was used in the Leningrad sector they may not have been allocated to a specific theatre until they get there.

Yes thats what i know from the early Tigers but some of these vehicles used in North Africa looked pretty dark beside the dust.

Maybe some went to the war zone in gray. Difficult !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Badder said:

@BerndM

Early (initial) Tigers were factory painted in German Grey for the European theatre (and subsequently the Eastern Front) and Dunkelgelb for North Africa. From early 1943 onwards, they were all factory painted in Dunkelgelb and were camouflaged 'in the field'.

Enjoy the GB WHEN it gets here!

Rearguards

Badder

Can t wait to start. Thanks for the info. Some of the Tigers in Africa looked pretty dark beside the dust. Maybe gray vehicles rushed to that war theatre ?

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Can t wait to start. Thanks for the info. Some of the Tigers in Africa looked pretty dark beside the dust. Maybe gray vehicles rushed to that war theatre ?

Cheers

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

I should have said that the Tigers were painted 'A dark yellow' rather than Dunkelgelb, (which is a specific colour and one that wasn't applied to Tigers until later) Don't ask me the 'RAL' colours because I'm not that 'up' on things!

Having said that, there is a lot of debate over the colours of Tigers in N. Africa, and whether Tigers were sent there painted in German Grey and were subsequently over-sprayed with 'dark yellow'. Then there's the question of camouflage colours....

And reading this, complicates things massively:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/86794.aspx

Green Tigers? Well, you have to believe a guy who actually fought against them.....

Could they have been a mouldy German Grey?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Plasto said:

This may prove useful to folks around Colour schemes etc...

I cannot vouch how accurate it is but it’s a starting point...

Fantastic video, cheers Plasto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Yes thats what i know from the early Tigers but some of these vehicles used in North Africa looked pretty dark beside the dust.

Maybe some went to the war zone in gray. Difficult !

Maybe Bernd, I know that initially the Panzer III/IVs went gray and painted in North Africa. Due to paint shortages some were coloured with a sand mixture, The North Africa Tigers deployed in 1942 to Tunisia. It is more than possible that there could have been gray painted Tigers there, just because there are no photos to say either yes or no. At this point the Africa Korps were on the back foot. There are a few pictures in a book I’ve got that look darker than others.

• Like 3

Interesting discussion on Tunisia Tigers.  Not sure if there is reason to think they were sent in grey paint, since two Tiger units were promised to Rommel even before the Allied Operation Torch occurred.  Plans were to have them ready by October 1942:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Zr-3DAAAQBAJ&pg=PT123&lpg=PT123&dq=two+tiger+units+promised+to+rommel&source=bl&ots=e3aS9UGn3p&sig=ACfU3U3L8zASKmlAvYvWaZeRH_w7oVp3aQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinh_mO2KfhAhUCYK0KHd8MCakQ6AEwDHoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=two tiger units promised to rommel&f=false

Again, it's only an assumption that those vehicles on the production line slotted for Africa would have been finished in tropical colours right at the factory.

-----------------------

David Byrden has recently posted a new article on his site discussing the possibility of there only being 25 tigers leaving the factory in grey.  Up to the individual to make their conclusion:

http://tiger1.info/EN/Grey-Tigers.html

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

There is a series of life colour photos of the Tiger which give an indication of the colour.

40528373613_d9b053383a_b.jpg

40528373603_a14baaec23_b.jpg

All of the normal model forum caveats apply to these wartime colour photos. Colour cast, exposure etc etc...

I guess however if you use them with caution and in conjunction with the Tank Museum info you get possibly a good general direction on how to paint a Tunisian Tiger.

HTH

• Like 6

So - with the Panzer IV GB closed - is there a new banner I can display for the Tiger GB???

If it hasn't been finalised - surely it should include a tiger...

tiger-growling.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I came up with something similar, but think I prefer yours

Why not post yours too, it's always good to have options.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

This looks good, it also has a fluffy tiger in it too.

The tiger is the unit emblem for Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506, who were equipped exclusively with Tiger tanks. First with Tiger Is on the eastern front & then with Tiger IIs in the west, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the emblem appear on a build or two during the GB.

e39bed486574c7e22b7d3ac78fc41a81.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a set of decals with several colour variants of the emblem with the intention of using them on an E-75 for a what-if 506 unit in 1946, that could be a possible build for the GB... 

Anyone planning a build with a full interior, such as the Ryefield tiger I, or Takom Tiger II?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Anyone planning a build with a full interior, such as the Ryefield tiger I, or Takom Tiger II?

I'd love to see one built (love to have one to build), but I'd - quietly - question their sanity trying to get complete it on time.

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

Why not post yours too, it's always good to have options.

Well, since you ask ...

banner-tiger-stgb.jpg  banner-tiger-ib.jpg  banner-tiger-ii.jpg

• Like 2

Wow these banners are coming in thick and fast, it would be good to see a build with an interior would be good. I built the academy mid Tiger 1 a few years ago, very nice build with all those bits. It’s a fairly heavy model.

• Like 1