Panzer VI Tiger STGB Chat

Plasto

I've given this one a lot of thought.  I've had a lot of fun in the Panzer IV GB with a couple of 1/35 builds.   Okay...  okay...  aspects of them were fun. Building the tracks on the Hobby Boss kit was sheer torture... :banghead: 

So, I gave serious sonsideration to building a 1/35 Tiger in this GB.  However, I'd like to build from The Stash and I have a few 1/48 Tiger kits there.  Having built a number of 1/48 Tigers before I've made up my mimd.  From The Stash I will be taking an early Tiger I and a Sturmtiger, both in 1/48 from Tamiya.

I really fancy a Tiger II as well. I like the look of the Porsche turret version. I don't have one in The Stash, so if I can track one down, I'll be chucking that into the mix as well. 

• Like 4

On 14 octobre 2017 at 5:24 PM, Antoine said:

Don't know if I can squeeze an armour build in three months, but here we go, count me in, please.

As usual, here's my stash review:

Tiger

pz_kpf10.jpg

Tiger II

pz_vi_10.jpg

pz_vi_10.jpg

JaTi

sd_kfz10.jpg

Ferdinand & Elefant

sd_kfz11.jpg

sd_kfz10.jpg

And the forgotten one

bergep10.jpg

Hi there, 

Hopefully, I'll have a go at this GB.

I may have missed something, but what qualify, and what does not is quite unclear to me.

can someone help with those listed above?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Hi there, 

Hopefully, I'll have a go at this GB.

I may have missed something, but what qualify, and what does not is quite unclear to me.

can someone help with those listed above?

Apologies if I hadn’t got back to you Antoine, they all qualify for the GB. Now you’ve got to choose which ones to build.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Apologies if I hadn’t got back to you Antoine, they all qualify for the GB. Now you’ve got to choose which ones to build.

Thanks Ozzy, no apologies needed, I just lost track of the chat, and didn't know if the front page listing was up to date, as its not part of the host's first post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Thanks Ozzy, no apologies needed, I just lost track of the chat, and didn't know if the front page listing was up to date, as its not part of the host's first post.

No worries, there was a little cock up with the posts, the second post should have been the first.

• Like 1

Right........now I have finished my second build in the Panzer IV STGB - and that GB is almost finished. - I should have some more time to concentrate on other things including this upcoming GB and the Patton Tank STGB which starts in a couple of weeks time.

I think I have decided what I am going to make for this GB which is this:

40429257883_b7cf59336c_h.jpg

....and to go with the kit I have these:

40429258133_1ea72dbb50_h.jpg

I was originally thinking of making something more complicated but, because I'm co-hosting and there are other GBs coming up, I reckon this should make a manageable project - I'll probably do a base as well. 

Really looking forward to this GB starting in May!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

I have several different ideas for this GB, some are in a bit of a grey area as they could be considered paper panzers though. The list of "qualifying type" includes the VK 36.01 & VK 45.02, both of which fit into the grey area too so some clarification regarding the rules is needed. One of the builds that I'm considering is a Jagdtiger with the GT101 turbine engine. It's reported that one Jagdtiger was fitted with a prototype engine as a test bed but there are no known photos to back that up. Another option would be the VK 30.01(P), a prototype hull was built & tested, but the turret was never completed. Regarding the VK 36.01, like the VK 30.01(P) the prototype wasn't fitted with a turret, however the turret was actually build but it ended up on a bunker as part of the Atlantic wall defences. The VK 45.02 was a paper panzer that never got any further then the drawing board. 

Edit: I made a diagram showing the development of the Tiger & it's main variants.

tiger_dev.png

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Right........now I have finished my second build in the Panzer IV STGB - and that GB is almost finished. - I should have some more time to concentrate on other things including this upcoming GB and the Patton Tank STGB which starts in a couple of weeks time.

I think I have decided what I am going to make for this GB which is this:

40429257883_b7cf59336c_h.jpg

....and to go with the kit I have these:

40429258133_1ea72dbb50_h.jpg

I was originally thinking of making something more complicated but, because I'm co-hosting and there are other GBs coming up, I reckon this should make a manageable project - I'll probably do a base as well. 

Really looking forward to this GB starting in May!

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice looking project Stix, the clear zimm is a nice edition. I’ve used the sheets before on a Tiger and was pleased with the application and look.

5 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I have several different ideas for this GB, some are in a bit of a grey area as they could be considered paper panzers though. The list of "qualifying type" includes the VK 36.01 & VK 45.02, both of which fit into the grey area too so some clarification regarding the rules is needed. One of the builds that I'm considering is a Jagdtiger with the GT101 turbine engine. It's reported that one Jagdtiger was fitted with a prototype engine as a test bed but there are no known photos to back that up. Another option would be the VK 30.01(P), a prototype hull was built & tested, but the turret was never completed. Regarding the VK 36.01, like the VK 30.01(P) the prototype wasn't fitted with a turret, however the turret was actually build but it ended up on a bunker as part of the Atlantic wall defences. The VK 45.02 was a paper panzer that never got any further then the drawing board. 

Edit: I made a diagram showing the development of the Tiger & it's main variants.

tiger_dev.png

Hi Mig eater, having looked a bits on the net and your diagram above. I’m more than content with your choice of builds and look forward to seeing more of your 3D printing.

• Like 1

This one is coming up quickly! 

I've thoroughly enjoyed building a couple of 1/35 Panzer IVs in the recent STGB and want to build some more 1/35 stuff.  However, I've opted for 1/48 for this GB, as I already have a couple of 1/48 Tigers gracing the shelves at Matrix Mansions. 

These are my choices for this GB.

Boxes.JPG

The Tiger II is an early vehicle with the original turret (erroneously called the Porsche turret).  As such it should have Zimmerit, but the kit doesn't supply it.  there don't seem to be any aftermarket sets available so I'll have to try other methods.  My soldering iron came with a selection of wood burning tips, one of which looks like it will be suitable.   So I've been practicing on bits of scrap plastic.   We'll see what happens... 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed building a couple of 1/35 Panzer IVs in the recent STGB and want to build some more 1/35 stuff.  However, I've opted for 1/48 for this GB, as I already have a couple of 1/48 Tigers gracing the shelves at Matrix Mansions. 

These are my choices for this GB.

Boxes.JPG

The Tiger II is an early vehicle with the original turret (erroneously called the Porsche turret).  As such it should have Zimmerit, but the kit doesn't supply it.  there don't seem to be any aftermarket sets available so I'll have to try other methods.  My soldering iron came with a selection of wood burning tips, one of which looks like it will be suitable.   So I've been practicing on bits of scrap plastic.   We'll see what happens... 

Nice selection Enzo, are you just sticking to 3??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

ATAK Resin did a set of very thin resin zimmerit which is very good. It's discontinued it seems but try Nigel at Parabellum (e-mail is best) he may have some in stock. If you go that way use a glue stick to attach it to the model. Easy and quick, models done 15 years ago are still good.

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

My soldering iron came with a selection of wood burning tips, one of which looks like it will be suitable.   So I've been practicing on bits of scrap plastic.   We'll see what happens... 

My first model posted in here was a Tiger I with zimmerit melted into the panels using a pyrograph. The pyrograph worked fairly well with a steady hand (which I don't always have) but I'd strongly advise to do any 'melting' outdoors! The fumes given off by melting plastic are poisonous, as we all know, but the amount of melting required for zimmerit produces much more than for stretching an aerial from a piece of sprue.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 4

I've had a change of plan.

I was going for Tamiya's 1/35th King Tiger, but now that I've decided to concentrate on 'winterized AFVs' for the foreseeable future, I'm going to go for one of my two Tiger I's - that being Tamiya's 1/35th Tiger 1 initial, and yes, you've guessed it, I'll be making the Tiger S04 option - Wittman's 'Snow Tiger'.

I have to be honest and say it was only today that I discovered that the decals for his tank are included in the kit (along with the Kill Rings) Tamiya make no reference to, or connection with Wittman anywhere in the instructions/information sheets.

So why not stick with the King Tiger and winterize that instead? Well, the thing with 'winter camo' is it's easiest to get a good 'worn' effect on a vehicle with lots of lumps, bumps, angles and edges - and the Tiger I has lots of those, whilst the Tiger II is, for the most part, a smoother beast. What makes the Tiger II look most interesting, is a good ambush-type camo pattern.  I'd rather not commit to a winterized King Tiger then, and I'm buzzing with impatience to get that Tiger I started!

Badder

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Badder said:

I've had a change of plan.

No!!!........surely not!!

Sounds like a good plan though and quite understandable.

And I must admit I can't wait to get this GB started! I'm going to build something in the Patton STGB first though.

Kind regards, 

Stix 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

I blame 'im - B ^^

Just ordered one of these -

170213-10244-pristine.jpg

I know it has mixed reviews, but, it seems I'm now trying to join this GB

Good to have you along Robert, nice change in scale. The 1/72 kits look very nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

No!!!........surely not!!

Sounds like a good plan though and quite understandable.

And I must admit I can't wait to get this GB started! I'm going to build something in the Patton STGB first though.

Kind regards, 

Stix 

No. Really!:footy:#

Well...... there's plenty of other Witmann Snow Tigers out there,  which means I'll have a lot of reference material for that whitewash stuff they used to slap on things!

Good luck in the Patton GB. I have to refrain from that one as I have nothing suitable in the stash and way too many Tigers!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

I blame 'im - B ^^

Just ordered one of these -

I know it has mixed reviews, but, it seems I'm now trying to join this GB

Hi Robert.

I edited out the pic cos apparently quoting with the pics inlcuded is a bit annoying for some (fair enough)

But that'll look great speeding through a field of plush.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 2

Mmm, I'll be interested to see your, sorry, Wittman's Snow Tiger.  Lumps and bumps?  Zimmerit ... or just the normal, angular Tiger I?

43 minutes ago, Badder said:

I edited out the pic cos apparently quoting with the pics inlcuded is a bit annoying for some (fair enough)

😆:)

fair enough, I fully understand

43 minutes ago, Badder said:

But that'll look great speeding through a field of plush.

Mmm, yes, I did buy the plush when I was thinking about modelling the Russian stepp, just the sort of ground the Tiger was designed for.

Plush stepp?

Plush stepp? Sounds like a soggy dance move .. or walking in wet wellies.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Zimmerit ... or just the normal, angular Tiger I?

I meant the normal, angular look. I don't think Wittmann's Tiger had Zim, but I will check. And I'll spell his name right at some point!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogue705 said:

Hi @Ozzy, would like to be included in this GB please

Welcome Rogue705, have you got any thoughts on what you may build?

• Like 1