Panzer VI Tiger STGB Chat

Plasto

oh dear - or should that be OMG...

That permanent amount of credit (several hundred quid) I seem to have with Amazon has struck again & I've been shopping...

This is what a Tamiya King Tiger looks like next to a Revell...

IMG-5377.jpg 

so it looks like I'll be tackling my first 1/35 build - a 'real tank' by some peoples standards - a 'whopper' by others...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

Now get a Trumpeter 1/16 scale King Tiger for the complete set 😛

yeh right...

• Like 1

Don't know if I've invited myself to this one yet or not, but I found a Jagdtiger, Elefant and King Tiger in the stash so it would be rude not to. One of them is even bigger than 1/100 - exciting times at Foxbat Towers :D 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to have my first bash at 1/35 figure painting as part of this GB.  Up to now I have only daubed a bit of flesh onto some 1/72 figures - with varying results.  Now I know flesh is 'one of those colours' - like yellow / red / white etc - that tend to go on 'a bit streaky' - so I  was wondering if anyone can recommend - from personal use any good simple flesh paint.

I should qualify this a little - as I know 'flesh' comes in all shades - GERMANS...

I will be brush painting - hands and faces...

...any ideas lads...

• Like 2

On 04/04/2019 at 12:39, Foxbat said:

Don't know if I've invited myself to this one yet or not, but I found a Jagdtiger, Elefant and King Tiger in the stash so it would be rude not to. One of them is even bigger than 1/100 - exciting times at Foxbat Towers :D

Andy

Welcome  Andy,

looking forward to your builds in all scales.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm going to have my first bash at 1/35 figure painting as part of this GB.  Up to now I have only daubed a bit of flesh onto some 1/72 figures - with varying results.  Now I know flesh is 'one of those colours' - like yellow / red / white etc - that tend to go on 'a bit streaky' - so I  was wondering if anyone can recommend - from personal use any good simple flesh paint.

I should qualify this a little - as I know 'flesh' comes in all shades - GERMANS...

...any ideas lads...

Close your eyes and hope for the best? Your a braver man than me Steve, I just paint flesh theses days with a grey wash to show any features. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Close your eyes and hope for the best? Your a braver man than me Steve, I just paint flesh theses days with a grey wash to show any features. 

TBH Ozzy - That is all I'm planning on doing - but the Vallejo Model Air Flesh is very poor on coverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

...any ideas lads...

This looks like a good basic tutorial

Personally, I'd start with the whites of their eyes, add irises (+pupils & high-lights if you can see them - hard in 1/35), and then follow the guide above.

I'd also point out that the upper eye-lid usually covers the iris in a relaxed eye - like this

paintaneyestep4.jpg

That may be ambitious for your first figure.

p.s. DO NOT use straight white for the whites of the eyes - use pale greys (as above), pale blues or pale yellows ... pale like really pale - but never white (that can be used for high-lights).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

so I  was wondering if anyone can recommend - from personal use any good simple flesh paint.

I use Vallejo Basic Skin Tone as a base and then Citadel's Reikland Fleshade for the wash effect. The Vallejo seems to be nicer to apply thinned than other skin coloured paints I've used before - Humbrol's, for example, seems to go lumpy. I use very thinned, with water, layers of the Skin Tone but the Citadel stuff I apply neat - just letting it settle into the features. It's worth experimenting with. I must admit I don't paint eyes in 1/35 or below. Mine always seem to end up looking like the person is staring wildly in different directions!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hadn't considered the eyes...  This is already starting to sound like a can of worms being opened - we will see...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I hadn't considered the eyes...  This is already starting to sound like a can of worms being opened - we will see...

No problem

AR99001.gif

There's even instructions for use:

https://www.archertransfers.com/PAGE_EyeballInstructions.html

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

TBH Ozzy - That is all I'm planning on doing - but the Vallejo Model Air Flesh is very poor on coverage.

I use the normal Vallejo flesh / Tamiya flesh or Humbrol 250 Desert pink, having watched the clip posted by @Robert Stuart I may have a bash. It’s the eye balls 👀 that I’ve never got right, the eye ball sheet looks interesting, cheers @VMA131Marine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

so I  was wondering if anyone can recommend - from personal use any good simple flesh paint.

I've had reasonably results using Lifecolor UA776 Rough Light Grey.  It is an off white colour with good covering power.  I mix that with something light light earth or desert yellow until I get a suitable shade.  Once it has dried, like Plastix I fill in the shadows with Citadel's Reikland Fleishade.  Not too much of this though, as it can get very dark and red.

• Like 3

Here's the kit I am planning to make for this GB. As stated previously, I have only made three tanks, so I will be looking for plenty of helpful advice along the way,

32623012697_aaeb9b927a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

My very first tank build was a Revell 1/72 East German T-72, the second was a Tamiya 1/48 IS-2, and my last effort, which is still languishing on the unfinished shelf, was a 1/48 HobbyBoss boxing of a captured KV-1 with a modified turret. Here are a couple of shots of the IS-2, this was my first 1/48 build and a first attempt at some light weathering.

32623013077_7c2e193ec3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32623013807_41b8b5e520_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32623013357_1d586183a5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Here's the kit I am planning to make for this GB. As stated previously, I have only made three tanks, so I will be looking for plenty of helpful advice along the way,

by John L, on Flickr

My very first tank build was a Revell 1/72 East German T-72, the second was a Tamiya 1/48 IS-2, and my last effort, which is still languishing on the unfinished shelf, was a 1/48 HobbyBoss boxing of a captured KV-1 with a modified turret. Here are a couple of shots of the IS-2, this was my first 1/48 build and a first attempt at some light weathering.

by John L, on Flickr

by John L, on Flickr

by John L, on Flickr

Nice choice John, I’m very sure there will be plenty of words of encouragement to help you along. Your IS-2 looks fantastic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

...any ideas lads...

Since you already use Vallejo acrylics, I can recommend their Game colour flesh tones - there's at least three to suit all shades of Caucasians. I use Citadel Fleshwash over it but other inks are available.

Here's the effect on some figures I've been working on. They're a bit smaller than 1/35 but you get the idea - base coat, wash, quick dry brush for highlights and you're done. Pennies included because it's a tradition or an old charter or something ;) 

isjCgww.jpg

Andy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

by John L, on Flickr

by John L, on Flickr

by John L, on Flickr

by John L, on Flickr

Nice IS-2! I just finished the same kit in the same markings!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

...any ideas lads...

Hi Colin    Steve,

Daler Rowney 'FW' Acrylic INK - 'Flesh Tone', I've not used it in anger yet, but it's in its jar (with pipette lid) waiting for this GB. I have used their Raw Sienna Ink for faces and that's good too.

You can use it neat, or as a wash (thinned with water) You can reactivate the ink with water when it's dried, and remove/rub it back, or redistribute it as a wash, but left for longer it becomes water resilient.

I find it more workable than acrylic paints and not as time-consuming as oils.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:
4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Nice IS-2! I just finished the same kit in the same markings!

My Nashorn knocked one of those out at 4,500m.... just saying!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My thoughts on painting eyes on 1/35th figures.

1. If the eyes aren't moulded very well (as is the case with 95 percent of the figures) then they'll always look suspect, no matter how good a painter you are.

2. Over half the area of a 'relaxed' eye is taken up by the iris. At 1/35th you basically want to paint an iris and add a white dot either side - all within the space between the eyelids.

3. DON'T EVER PAINT AN EYE OUTSIDE OF THE EYELIDS!

4. And  finally, as Ozzy said, never use white for the whites of the eyes!

• Like 3

In the PzIV STGB, I ordered some Friulmodel 'winterketten' tracks for my Nashorn. I ordered them on-line with Amazon, from Historex based in Dover. (who had just the one set in stock (apparently) I don't recall how long they took to arrive precisely, but I think it was 8-9 days. I wasn't too impressed by the lateness TBH. but I suspect Historex  had none in stock and had to import more from Hungary. Well, at least they arrived and they were excellent, with next to no flash and requiring that only 3 links be drilled out.

Finding myself with some spare dosh, I figured I'd get a set of Tiger 'Early' tracks for this GB, before Brexit drives the prices up, or puts a stop to such imports altogether!

I ordered them mid-afternoon, and they were delivered to me noon the following day. Crikey. Well done Historex!

Badder

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Wow that’s what you call excellent service.

Indeed it is Clive. I will forgive them for the 'lateness' of the first order I place with them!

I will also give Creative Models a plug as well, because my order with them - MiniArt's German 'Winter tank crew' arrived within 48 hrs. My orders with them have always been swift (usually 1 or 2 days and never more than 3)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2