GB idea...Winter War/Continuation War @21

John Masters

Bump! Or not just a bump! Some of you not (yet) interested in this GB should reconsider what we´d all be missing:

• on the dark side #1 there´s very little Soviet home-made stuff not eligible in this GB, first pop to my mind the very late war JS- tanks and Yak-3:s, otherwise Anything Goes, the lend-lease aircraft ranging from Hurricanes, Tomahawks, Kittyhawks and Airacobras to Bostons and Mitchells
  • on the dark side #2 the number of Jerry armour is limited to StuG:s (III and IV) but the aircraft side more than makes up for it
  • on the bright side, from where I´m standing, you can build almost anything from the both dark sides, but with different markings and camo

Don´t get tangled up with the stereotypic Winter War whitewashed point of view; this GB would really have potential for variety in colour also! V-P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If things go like they are planned at the moment this GB would (as I wish it should!) be included in the Small Wars GB and take place in 2019. :yahoo:.

The Small Wars and Continuation War themes though do differ in my opinion. There's a risk of including the generic Eastern Front WW2 in a Small Wars context, which I believe many of us would like to think is inappropriate. So @John D.C. Masters and @Col. maybe you (we?) could adjust the Fenno-Soviet aspect a bit to keep things neat and tidy? V-P

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

If things go like they are planned at the moment this GB would (as I wish it should!) be included in the Small Wars GB and take place in 2019. :yahoo:.

The Small Wars and Continuation War themes though do differ in my opinion. There's a risk of including the generic Eastern Front WW2 in a Small Wars context, which I believe many of us would like to think is inappropriate. So @John D.C. Masters and @Col. maybe you (we?) could adjust the Fenno-Soviet aspect a bit to keep things neat and tidy? V-P

I'd be delighted to have the Continuation War GB included as part of the Small Wars GB. While my express purpose of the latter was to give coverage to actions outwith the two World Wars I'm sure the deffinition of the Continuation War is sufficient to ensure there is no overlap and the two GBs can co-exist as one event.

Edited by Col.

Looking through the history books there are at least 20 small wars between the two large wars, then all the Cold War skirmishes, etc...

Would the Suez Crisis count as a 'small war'?  The 6 Day War?  This wold be an excellent, all-encompassing Group Build Event, from early propeller-driven to more recent jets.  If my Winter War followers are in agreement, we should all join up for the Small Wars Group Build!  Perhaps it could go for a longer period of time too, since there are so many choices?  I bow before the moderators and their divine wisdom...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

If my Winter War followers are in agreement, we should all join up for the Small Wars Group Build!  Perhaps it could go for a longer period of time too, since there are so many choices?

I agree with John's both proposals quoted above.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

That sounds good 😊.

My only reservation would be in offending citizens of the nations concerned. I suspect that the Finns and Soviets (now ex-Soviet nations) wouldn’t have thought the wars small.

Nevertheless, if it gives the chance to introduce and enhance knowledge of the conflicts and a chance to model in relation to them and share the experience, that’s a good thing.

AC

🐯

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

So did the Small Wars GB make the cut?

No, the Small Wars GB, Spanish Civil war GB and this one were left out because it appeared to be too difficult to combine them. I agree with @Torbjorn though that the ripping off the Continuation War from the WW2 context was a bit stretching all limits, but hey that was just an attempt to make it go through :coolio:. V-P

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

No, the Small Wars GB, Spanish Civil war GB and this one were left out because it appeared to be too difficult to combine them. I agree with @Torbjorn though that the ripping off the Continuation War from the WW2 context was a bit stretching all limits, but hey that was just an attempt to make it go through :coolio:. V-P

We did try but at least it made the GB selection process simpler for 2019.

• Haha 1