Tarangus JA37 Viggen (37412) 1/48

Unmasked her... And i think it looks alright. Pre-shade disappeared a little too much at places. The demarcation is motsly okay-ish, better at the front - on the port side. Starboard a bit more uneven but, I will mess it up more if i try to do anything about it.

The paint actually followed the tape at one place, possibly my rough ripping? Under the starboard canard-wing (3rd pic), by those position-lights.. It´ has already been fixed (and I will fix the starboard RWR!)

The nose-flaps took some punishment during the masking.. Might have to have a look at those too.

Kind of happy overall, it is still practice with new paints and techniques. I still think it can look half decent if I do not mess up too much, in the end..? :)

37735123581_c1b634da5a_c.jpg

37735130521_81ba3bd9e1_c.jpg

37477203070_5f051622b1_c.jpg

LOL - trying to figure out why it looks like the demarcation-line is so high under the canard-wing... The light? Probably. I think I have de-masked it so.. Whatever, it definetly goes much lower. (I had to double check on the model.:!:worry:)

37735143341_4941a8d897_c.jpg

• Like 3

Put some decals on the grey hull..

37044011034_85d34749ae_c.jpg

The crest for "Martin Blå"/132nd Fighter Wing is from Two Bobs obviously, the only source - for now? The a mix from that sheet and Moose Republic´s most excellent one. I did not use the national roundels from MRD, something which I regret. Two Bobs´ are a bit too bright, or too white in the yellow areas. I did however use the "FARA"-signs from MRD however, they have a more correct green and tellow shade. As is the Wing badge for "F13 Bråvalla" on the fin. The Two Bobs´ one is two part and harder to use as well.

The in serial number 37412 is not really seen on my photos of the aircraft at the time but I still used it, since they were on the sheet. It is the small, green-yellow thing forward of the exhaust for the thrust reverser.opening in the fuselage. Still have  acouple of stencils to add and I need to fix the tail fin´s pitot tube, paint it black.

Still thinking about adding weapons - 4x RB74/AIM-0L and 2x RB71/Sky Flash. It did not use it at the time of the visit to RAF Coningsby of course, but I need to practice on those missiles and I think it gives the aircraft a better look. We´ll see..I have no launchers for the Sky Flash-missiles yet, those are beeing worked on by Maestro Models. Sweden and Italy used them (Italy for their Star Fighters with Sky Flash) but no one else I think, since the RAF Tornadoes had them tucked into the fuselage?

• Like 4

Great!

Wonder about those decalmix.... why is it that difficult togetthose colors right?

Italy used the Aspide missile on their Starfighters... probably Skyflash onthe leased F3s though....

MaestroModels is working slower latelyme thinks....:(

• Like 1

Thanks.

Yeah! I guess they have no good real life thing to check on, Two Bobs? ;) I know Moose Republic does!

Those positional lights (?) looks slightly off now.. Hmm..?

Ah alright! Maybe I am wrong then. :) But I did find a sketch for weapons on Italian Starfighters online and there was a Sky Flash on it, I think.. Will check it again!

Yeah... Are you waiting for something particular? I can ask them about it next time, I live about a mile from Rebell Hobby, which is owned by Tarangus/Maestro-Max.

• Like 1

Aspide and Skyflash both are based on the Sparrow... hard to distinguish!

I asked about A-D model Draken Sidewinder wing pylons... as used also on Austrian ones...they did promise nothing though.....

• Like 1

Ah alright - gotcha now! :) I have no clue about Aspide, need to google them!

I´ll ask as well, will probably get there on Saturday.

I only know about the Y-shaped one on early oDrakens, in place of the DTs, the new ones for the J-models and then the pylon on thew wings. Are they different from those? And is it both the pylon and launcher-rail or whatever it is called? 

Spent some time gluing most of the gear together in perparation for painting:

37763655202_21106cafd2_c.jpg

Quite some time since I build any other jet-aircraft other than Drakens or Viggens but these feel quite complicated compared to what i remember from most others.. Well maybe not the front one (which is missing the landing light and there is none in the kit, atleast not the one for the leg).

I primed my last Viggen´s gear with Alclad II´s grey and brush painted everything. I´ll probably do the same again. One of the few things I was happy with on that one. Here it is (there is a quite a few mistakes on that one.. :( )

37763666752_12a8aff170_c.jpg

And here is that Draken with legs and a few older builds. Bonus points to anyone who knows the pilots of those Spitfires. One is easy, two probably a bit harder.. ;)

37795456211_35c6e0f454_c.jpg

37795460331_fc53ba230b_c.jpg

• Like 4

Great painting on the viggen,  looks  ace with the decals, re the spitfires dwb is johnnie jhonsons mount, built it a couple of years ago, without researching db I'll hazard a guess at bader

Glynn

• Like 1

Hello Paramedic!

Such an interesting project you have there. And it also looks great so far:) It's clear that I must buy at least one of these. I was exited when Tarangus released their Lansen and built one at once. It is the original A32A which I turned into a J32E Störlansen.

You mentioned this book: do you know if there is anything about Tp52 Canberras and/or Tp82 Caravelles? I'm very interested...

On 10/14/2017 at 11:39 PM, Paramedic said:

But there is one other gem, "Svenskt Flyg Under Kalla Kriget" (roughly "Swedish Airpower During the Cold War") I do not think it is translated (yet?) but it is a book made in collaboration by pilots and the Swedish Air Force Museum to name a few. It deals with the design, strategy, tactics and specific incidents. It mentioned some of those design-thingys. An absolute gem for people like me. ;)

I know there is an older book about the Viggen by Sven Stridsberg but I do not have any of the editions nor have I read it..! :worry: I probably should...

Have you tried the Flygvapenmuseum's Library? You can get books for home loan via your local library. I live in Finland and got all the Tp52 manuals on loan easily. Great service!

Hälsningar från Björneborg:)

Antti

• Like 2

Used a hairy brush on the legs.. Not entirely correct but close enough for Government work. ;) And at a distance...

Tricky with my shitty phone camera but there is some different metals..

26146834929_407ef4ffa4_c.jpg

37891552772_d916457f57_c.jpg

Removed the canopy mask and had to clean it slightly, some paint had crept beneath.

37213275604_cbe6d3e033_c.jpg

Wish I could show off the shading better. Might have to get aproper camera, soon..! ;)

37213279054_fb4ee1b286_c.jpg

Soon she´ll stand on her own legs!:P

• Like 4

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Lansens are good too!

But your Viggen needs somd missiles, no?

At least green training rounds!!

Thanks, yeah! I actually picked up the J32B today.. Looking forward to that one!

Well, I kind of like to but since it is built to represent that aircraft as it visited RAF Coningsby I can live without them. It only had the drop tank over there.

Usually I do "bomb up" my aircraft, think it really adds to them! But I have a another JA(D or Di) with a full load of AMRAAMs, AIM-9Ls, Jammer pod, chaff- and flare dispensers in the stash plus an AJSF with a full load of cameras, jammers, chaff- and flare, AIm-9Js and an AJSH with a load of RB15F and AIM-9Ls so.. Next time.. ;)

On the other hand - I do have enough launchers so just need a pair of Sky Flash and four AIM-9Ls to do it..... Hmm..

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice finish,  you've done a great job, it'll look fine in your display cabinet next to those spitfiresB)

Glynn 

Thanks! I really want to do another Spit soon.. Have Dick Audet´s decals for a Mk. IXe I am itching to do....... :)

Just cut some parts from the sprues for a Tamiya 1/48 P-47M but then found out I had no correct cockpit colours so it got put on hold... Thinking about that Austrian Draken or a Swedish Hawker Hunter.. Decisions, decisions..  :D

• Like 3

Thanks Bungalow. :)

Got a message from the Viggen pilot´s son, the pilot filming the videos. Said he liked the model after seeing it in the Facebook group for the Viggen. A bit humbling.. It´s not that good..!

Felt nice though.. ^^

My JA37 could not carry them (at that time). The upgrade allowing them to carry RB99/AMRAAMs came with the D mod in the mid-late -90s.

But I have the bitz for one such aircraft in the stash so it will be coming.. :) Kinda the ultimate fighter-Viggen with all the upgrades (U95 ECM pod, flares, chaff-dispensers etc)

There was one single airframe of that mod kept in the splinter camo and that airframe is preserved a bike ride from my parents home so I might build that one......

38134790761_678897f306_c.jpg

There she is.. Those shark-fin dorsal antennas show it is a Di-mod, the last modification where among other things, the intruments were changed from altitude in meters to feet and speed from km/h to knots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1