Dragon Wagon - Its a big 'un!

nick32

I've been far too inactive for the last year or so with modelling, life just getting in the way but lately things have calmed down and i've been getting the itch again. I recently built Tamiya's 1/35 Willys Jeep and it was a proper mojo restorer. So i've decided to pull the big Tamiya Dragon Wagon from the stash cupboard and crack on - No point it being there if i'm not going to build it!

I will say now i'm not the greatest builder in the world so don't expect a master piece up to the standard of others on this site but i'm a trier! I'm also not very fast so updates will be infrequent but i'll beaver away at it. 

The aim with this will be to build it into a diorama, i'm not 100% sure which direction that will take but it may involve it hauling a Tiger.. I know in theory that's about 15 tons over the safe working load but i have come across some evidence (mostly anectodal) that on occasion big tanks were transported. Then there is this pic with a Jadtiger  - 

36891670544_b2c756086f_z.jpg

Anyway, when i get to that point i'll more of an idea which way i want to go. 

So the kit (huge box, bottle of Tamiya extra thin for scale purposes..)

23749232678_b4ae386876_z.jpg

I've got 2 Eduard etch sets, the interior, exterior and trailer. Quite how much i use will remain to be seen, i struggle with the smaller stuff, and if i don't think it will be seen i usually don't bother. 

So a couple of hours tonight has given me this  - 

23749231118_b23638f598_k.jpg

23749230288_bea4b187ff_k.jpg

You can just make out the etch throttle, brake and clutch pedals. I was feeling brave so gave them a shot, theres also a piece just by one of the (gear?) levers. There's also a lovely etched radiator grill that wont be seen unless i leave the access panels open. 

Anyway that's it for now, thank's for reading. 

Nick

Edited by nick32
  • Like 11

Thanks Francis :)

I've managed a little more (but only a little).

Its already getting big and i've barely started...!!

37616218031_9302c8cd2e_k.jpg

23763059198_5d3f32a5d6_k.jpg

36905429094_19cf4d0324_k.jpg

Today saw the front winch drum go on, as well as the steering column, air filters and fron leaf springs. So far it's everything you would expect from a Tamiya kit, perfect fit, excellent instruction sheet and nice details. 

Thanks for looking, 

Nick

Edited by nick32
  • Like 4

Thanks guys. Truth be told i had been putting this build off for ages with the excuse that i didn't think my skills were up to it. Well i'm still not sure.... But a few small reminders lately have brought home the point that you just have to crack on and not put stuff off. Plus it's a Tamiya uber kit so pretty much builds itself!

As i said so far it's gone together very well, it might be nearly 20 years old but the fit is bang on. When the time comes for painting and weathering i'll be hoping to improve my skills in that department - All advice very welcome!

And then of course there will planning the load and diorama setting. This will be a long term project but hopefully with regular updates and i'll work on my photography skill's too.

Thanks again, 

Nick 

Good project & it will certainly keep you busy for a while, look forward to seeing your progress.

But what do you mean you pulled it from the stash & decided to build it? You can't just build things from the stash, I thought it was a stash, not a to do list!

• Like 1

Haha, I'll just have to have purchase something else to fill the gap! 

Had a couple of hours last night free while the wife watched the atrocity that is the x factor in the other room...

This is quite a complex kit, with many sub assemblies but having said that it does go together very well - Everything fits where it should. There are quite a few mold lines/sink marks which i have tried to clean up but so far most are underneath and won't be seen. 

So last night saw me working on the rear drive assembly. This consists of a diff that drives 4 chains in turn providing power to the wheels. A novel approach.. I wonder how often those chains needed adjusting/replacing?

37454936620_ae49051241_k.jpg

I did attempt to use the Eduard set for the guards that go over the chains but they were very fragile and i didn't really see them staying on for very long so in the end i went with the kit parts. They still look pretty good to me. I may try to add a bit more detail to this sub assembly, there is a feed pipe that lubricates the chain with oil so i might attempt to add that. 

I've also built the front axle/diff assembly and drive shaft, so now the kit is starting to resemble something like an M26. 

37712506891_d9f81addb3_k.jpg

37663918356_0eaab574cd_k.jpg

And lastly, it's a big old beast - A Willys Jeep would just about fit in the cab!

23859356678_85742c5bb0_k.jpg

Next up will be the wheels (all 8 of them) and then i think it will be time to start work on the cab interior. Lot's of etch for that so we will see how it goes!

Thanks for looking, 

Nick

Edited by nick32
  • Like 2

Thanks Gremlin. 

Work continues, 6 of the wheels are on for now, in time they will popped off again and painted/weathered. I've also started adding more etch to the cabin. Tie down straps, small step plate and straps around the jerry can behind the drivers seat. 

37475212730_3b859b271c_k.jpg20171016_134710 by

37023543914_ad1cec56fc_k.jpg20171016_134729 by

37475211940_098a6dbef7_k.jpg20171016_134744 by

So far so good, everything fits well and it's been a pleasure to work on

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been chipping away at this lately whenever i get the chance, i did say it would be a long term project! :lol:

I've completed the interior of the cab (I can only apologise about the quality of the pics, my dlsr has been loaned out and the camera on my phone is terrible..)

26349221248_d3aa3ec4c0_z.jpg

26349218098_f86da9d3a6_z.jpg

40189078752_111b79e804_z.jpg

40189077312_4f02b93a14_z.jpg

26349215268_271d7c714d_z.jpg

I wanted the cabin to look fairly filthy, these things were used in all conditions and probably not cleaned all that often. The photo's make the flatcoat look pretty rough but in reality its quite smooth. Just getting this far has been a lot of work, and i'm not even half way through the build yet. 

So then i fitted the cab shell, again the fit was superb with only a few runs of Tamiya extra thin needed. I could probably have not glued it as the fit was so good but did so just for peace of mind. 

39324307085_cb97304a30_z.jpg

26349598798_bfa75fe54b_z.jpg

28442557429_409afc7728_z.jpg

Next up is working on the cab, there are loads of things to go on such as lights, tools, brackets, etc etc. hopefully i'll use a fair bit of the Eduard etch, then it will be working on the rear winch, 5th gear and exhaust. So plenty to keep me busy!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by nick32
  • Like 4

Cheers Phil, yeah it's going to be huge when done. The plan at the mo is to have it hauling a broken down Sherman, with a few other vehicles on the same dio, probably a jeep or two and maybe an MP outrider if i can source a nice kit. Although knowing me it could work out totally different! I also need to source some crew members for it, the kit ones are ok but they are all in the sitting position and i want my crew to be outside, having just finished loading the tank. Any recommendations gratefully received!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick32 said:

...I also need to source some crew members for it, the kit ones are ok but they are all in the sitting position and i want my crew to be outside, having just finished loading the tank. Any recommendations gratefully received!

Good work so far Nick. As for figures, how about performing some amateur plastic surgery? Tamiya do some good 1:35 'multipose' figures, as do MiniArt. A bit of hacking around of limbs, maybe some Hornet heads (top notch in my humble opinion) and you'll have some unique figures exactly to your desired spec. Give it a try, it's a lot of fun :)

• Like 2

Cheers guys. Clive, good thinking - I'll see what i can do with the supplied crew, i hadn't thought of that!

Francis, thank you.

Phil, cheers, i will have a look for that one, sounds ideal.

Steve, i can understand why you thought so highly of this kit, it's a stunner. You should rescue it from your mums loft, would love to see it.

Nick

• Like 1