Airfix Kingfisher

CliffB

As one of the hosts of this GB, I suppose I really ought to build something for it. 

At the outset, I was going to do a rather exotic resin Farman F.190, but unfortunately circumstances have conspired against this.  What I really need right now is something much less demanding and, inspired by several other 'classic kit' builds in the GB, I've decided to do an old school Airfix nostalgia build.

P1000512.jpg

The Kingfisher was originally released in 1967 and I must have built it straight away.  As I recall, it was moulded in dark blue plastic back then.

The kit doesn't look too bad for its age, with just a few fine raised panel lines on the fuselage and wings.  The only rivets are on the floats, which might actually be correct.

Ironically, the weakest part (by far), is the engine.

My intention is to do a quick OOB build, including the 1.25 crew members.  The exception is that I'll be doing it waterline (as I do all of my floatplanes).

See you again soon

Cliff

• Like 4

Thanks John.  I've always liked the Kingfisher too (provided it's wearing floats ;)).

There's been a little bit of progress today:

P1100180.jpg

So far, the fit of the parts has been pretty good.  There's an almost total lack of interior detail though - just a pilot's seat (of sorts).  There's not even an instrument panel.

Sticking with the nostalgia philosophy, I've dusted off my old collection of Humbrol enamels and will be following the kit's painting instructions religeously.  It won't surprise you to hear that the old paints have sprayed beautifully.

I'm also keen to end up with a free spinning prop, so will need to keep the engine cowling loose until the last moment.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

I also recall the dark blue plastic of this kit when I built it in my youth.

I just got my hands on another one of these, though I had to rob the prop from it for a Lindberg Kingfisher which I had lost to prop for.

I would like to build this one as well, might have to do a dodgy with another prop to get it finished.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your interest and comments :)

As time has allowed, I've been continuing to nibble away at the Kingfisher.  It now has its main float and wings.

P1100181.jpg

The few parts involved have gone together pretty well - there are some small gaps where the wings meet the walkways and I've had to fill a few shrink marks.

Less good, is the result of a dry run with the five parts that make up the canopies - their fit is bad :(.  I'd prefer to model the canopies closed up (which I think is how I did them as a lad), but I fear that the lesser of two evils may be to have them open. We will see....

Thanks for looking.

Cliff

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately it's time to admit a big 'fail' on this one afraid :(.  It's just not going to be finished on time.

It looks like it will be my first candidate for KUTA X!

Maybe see you there.

Cliff

• Sad 1

Ah yes, I like this. I remember when this kit first came out. I bought one with some of my hard earned (!) pocket money. In those days I was throwing them together in a day or two, handling while paint still wet etc. Anyhow I finished it and decide to get another, which I built as a land plane. It still holds a dear spot in my memory, brought back to me again when I saw one of thee in Havana a few years ago.

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1